Story Poster
Photo by © Jerome Miron - USAToday
Baylor Football

Rhule's response to NFL speculation: 'Unfinished business at Baylor'

December 10, 2019

Regardless of the number of contract extensions he signs, the amount of money he is making, or  what he says in a public forum, Matt Rhule to the NFL speculation will continue until the day he actually leaves. But that doesn’t mean the speculation is based on accurate or truthful information.

In an interview with Mike Golic and Trey Wingo on ESPN, Rhule addressed the subject specifically once again, just as he has a number of times in the last couple of months. 

“I’m really committed to being at Baylor,” Rhule said. “It’s a great, great place. You know, when college jobs have come at me this year I’ve said, ‘Hey, absolutely not.’”

Who will Baylor sign in 2020? Check out the recruiting predictions page!

SicEm365
Matt Rhule is 19-19 in three seasons at Baylor.

Rhule has been connected to NFL head coaching positions in each of the last two off seasons including the Colts in 2017 and the Jets last offseason. As Baylor improved drastically yet again in 2019, it’s no surprise that the discussions pick up once again. According to Rhule, he would do himself a disservice by not accepting a call, but he has no intentions on leaving Baylor.

“I think anytime an NFL team has called in the past, people have kind of assumed that I wanted to go,” Rhule said. “I think when an NFL team calls you’re foolish if you don’t at least hear them out or listen to them, but I don’t think that’s the time or place for me right now.”

With a trip to the Sugar Bowl to face No. 5 Georgia remaining on Jan. 1, Rhule’s No. 7-ranked Bears sit at 11-2 with their two losses coming to No. 4 Oklahoma, including a 30-23 loss in the Big 12 Championship game last Saturday. Rhule believes, however, that the best is still on the horizon.

“I think that we are in the middle of building something really, really special at Baylor and I think it can be even better next season,” Rhule said.

He added, “When you do these jobs and go from one win to seven wins to 11 wins, a lot of people have to sacrifice a lot and you want sometimes to enjoy the fruits of your labor. We have a tendency as coaches to leave before we have a chance to enjoy in the winning.”

“I think next year we’re going to have a great team. I think the Sugar Bowl is going to be a big start to that, so I’ll always be respectful when people call me, but I think for my family and what we’re trying to do, we have unfinished business at Baylor.”

Rhule spent four years at Temple, playing and losing in the AAC Championship Game in 2016 before returning to the game in 2017 and winning. The parallels between his time at Temple and Baylor have matched up almost identically so far, but another run to the Big 12 Championship game capped off by a victory would be quite remarkable.

Discussion from...

Rhule's response to NFL speculation: 'Unfinished business at Baylor'

18,714 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Robert Wilson
Brownbw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sicem another 10 years
2023 ADOPT-A-BEAR
KADEN SIERACKI #74
6’8’’ 315 RF WOODLANDS
Big boy is going to put some hurt on big 12 foes
hey32g
Winning the Big 12 championship is not finished business, winning a National Championship is. He has stated he came to Baylor to win a National Championship, I hope he sticks with THAT goal. And if he does that, why leave? I'd love to see coaches desire to be a legacy, ie Grant Teaff, Daryl Royal, Joe Paterno, etc..., instead of chasing the money god.
Poopsock
It's frustrating to hear him be so honest about it. Like he's ready to leave after the next big season. Hope that buyout is high.
BUGWBBear
He's not going anywhere if your fears are predicated on winning a championship. He still can't beat OU.
Baylorguymanbear

Matt Rhule is delivering on what he said three years ago "We want to win championships."

I'm glad we have a coach like this leading the program. I believe him when he says great programs are marked by their longevity. I believe we'll have a lot of great memories to look back on in next 5/10 years.
BayouCity
I love Rhule but is it so hard to just say "No, I'm not taking an NFL job this year."

If that's what you mean then why not just come out and say it instead of "I've told every NCAA job no this year but I'd be foolish not to listen to the NFL."

Also, no buyout is too high for the NFL.
Sailor Bear
BUGWBBear said:

He's not going anywhere if your fears are predicated on winning a championship. He still can't beat OU.
Shut up, tuba boy.
CutTheTVoff
"Rhule spent four years at Temple, playing and losing in the AAC Championship Game in 2016 before returning to the game in 2017 and winning."

What? I think you got the years wrong.

Robert Wilson
Gonna be very interesting to see how this goes. This season has been outstanding. We have overachieved mightily. Our defense has been excellent. Our offense has gotten just enough done in a number of games. That defense is going to lose a lot of seniors who have played many snaps. What will happen with recruiting? The 2020 class isn't exactly highly ranked. But this staff has done a great job with development. The long haul will be interesting...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.