Football
Sponsored by

Possible candidates to replace Rhule: Heupel, Anderson, Dykes, etc.

14,615 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by boognish_bear
bojo1324
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know that the record was underwhelming this season, but this was probably Blake Anderson's best coaching job at Arkansas State.

At least 7 starters had season ending injuries, including the starting QB. Multiple starters missed multiple games due to injuries. Plus he had to deal with losing his wife to cancer right before the season started after having an offseason where all but 2 of his assistant coaches and his S&C coach got other jobs.

Finished the season at 8-5 with a walk on RS Freshman at QB, basically only 3 DTs, 2 CBs, and a walk on who in one game played both O and D Lines (and we won).

CorsicanaBear
I like their choice of helmets though.
Illigitimus non carborundum
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

Here are a few more names getting tossed out...

There is a less than zero percent chance that Hugh Freeze is hired to coach Baylor football. He won't even be considered, and the mere mention of his name shoots footballscoop's credibility further to *****
BearTruth
#JoeyMcGuire4BU
boognish_bear
PartyBear said:

Hueple would be a terrible hire. UCF is declining under him and he sounds like and has the antics of a 40 something year old version of Boss Hogg when he talks including the spitting during the talking. If we even talk to Hugh Freeze Rhoades isnt one of the top ADs as I have been thinking he was.
CMR can let him borrow his spit stained hoodie smock from the Sugar Bowl
bear2be2
bojo1324 said:

I know that the record was underwhelming this season, but this was probably Blake Anderson's best coaching job at Arkansas State.

At least 7 starters had season ending injuries, including the starting QB. Multiple starters missed multiple games due to injuries. Plus he had to deal with losing his wife to cancer right before the season started after having an offseason where all but 2 of his assistant coaches and his S&C coach got other jobs.

Finished the season at 8-5 with a walk on RS Freshman at QB, basically only 3 DTs, 2 CBs, and a walk on who in one game played both O and D Lines (and we won).

I like Blake Anderson.

Joey McGuire and the continuity he brings is by far my top choice, but I'd be interested to see what Anderson could do with Baylor's resources.
boognish_bear
bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

Here are a few more names getting tossed out...

There is a less than zero percent chance that Hugh Freeze is hired to coach Baylor football. He won't even be considered, and the mere mention of his name shoots footballscoop's credibility further to *****
Yep...I caught that after I posted and then added an edit....agree....that list loses all credibility with Freeze on there
RegentCoverup
Blake Anderson the guy from Workaholics?

%3Fw%3D1000%26h%3D563%26crop%3D1&f=1&nofb=1
boognish_bear

Sources: Billy Napier to be a serious candidate for Baylor job

4 hours ago
While Louisiana head coach Billy Napier shut down reports that he is a candidate for the open head coaching position at Mississippi State, the 40-year old who led the Ragin' Cajuns to their first 11-win season in program history is expected to be a serious candidate for another head coaching position that opened Tuesday morning.

Yahoo! Sports' Pete Thamel reported Baylor head coach Matt Rhule has agreed to be the next coach of the Carolina Panthers. Rhule went 19-20 in Waco, but improved each of his three seasons, finishing 11-3 in 2019.

Sources tell Cajun RedZone that Napier is a serious candidate to replace Rhule, who led the Bears to an appearance in the Big 12 Championship, falling in overtime to Oklahoma.

Napier was voted as the Sun Belt's Coach of the Year, the third Louisiana coach to earn the distinction and the first since 1993 when Nelson Stokley was named the Big West Conference's top coach. Napier is the first Ragin' Cajuns coach to win the award in the Sun Belt era and is fresh off a 27-17 win over Miami (OH) Monday night in the LendingTree Bowl.

Last week, the school announced a contract extension through 2025 with Napier, but his buyout has remained a relatively easy number for Power Five programs to hit, if they wanted to make a push for the former Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney assistant.

"The vision and support from our University leadership has been tremendous," Napier said in a statement about the extension. "We are very thankful for the belief Dr. Savoie and Dr. Maggard have in what our staff is working hard to build. Our entire organization is very appreciative of the quality of life in Lafayette and Acadiana. This extension will help us continue working daily on our process and improving our team. The #cULture is real and grows stronger by the day. We look forward to the challenges ahead."

"We are very excited to announce this extension for Coach Napier," athletic director Bryan Maggard said in the release. "He has led our football program to new heights, and we look forward to continued success under his leadership."

Mississippi State has yet to make a hire with Patriots assistant Joe Judge and Florida defensive coordinator Todd Grantham believed to be the serious candidates for the position in Starkville now. Napier addressed the reported interest prior to the game.

"It's fair to say we've made a decision that I'm not a candidate for that job. I just want to get that out of the way," Napier said, according to Creg Stephenson of AL.com. " It's very humbling when you do have opportunities and your name comes up in connection with jobs like that. I think it's a product of our success. Football's a game where when you do have success, it's a team effort.

"We have a tremendous staff, and we've got great leadership, tremendous vision by our administration. We're humbled that some of those things get brought up, but we're excited about the challenge that's in front of us."
No Longer Gold
Blake Anderson would bring back the gold helmets, guaranteed.
boognish_bear
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Josh Gordon could be his OC
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

4 hours ago
While Louisiana head coach Billy Napier shut down reports that he is a candidate for the open head coaching position at Mississippi State, the 40-year old who led the Ragin' Cajuns to their first 11-win season in program history is expected to be a serious candidate for another head coaching position that opened Tuesday morning.

Yahoo! Sports' Pete Thamel reported Baylor head coach Matt Rhule has agreed to be the next coach of the Carolina Panthers. Rhule went 19-20 in Waco, but improved each of his three seasons, finishing 11-3 in 2019.

Sources tell Cajun RedZone that Napier is a serious candidate to replace Rhule, who led the Bears to an appearance in the Big 12 Championship, falling in overtime to Oklahoma.

Napier was voted as the Sun Belt's Coach of the Year, the third Louisiana coach to earn the distinction and the first since 1993 when Nelson Stokley was named the Big West Conference's top coach. Napier is the first Ragin' Cajuns coach to win the award in the Sun Belt era and is fresh off a 27-17 win over Miami (OH) Monday night in the LendingTree Bowl.

Last week, the school announced a contract extension through 2025 with Napier, but his buyout has remained a relatively easy number for Power Five programs to hit, if they wanted to make a push for the former Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney assistant.

"The vision and support from our University leadership has been tremendous," Napier said in a statement about the extension. "We are very thankful for the belief Dr. Savoie and Dr. Maggard have in what our staff is working hard to build. Our entire organization is very appreciative of the quality of life in Lafayette and Acadiana. This extension will help us continue working daily on our process and improving our team. The #cULture is real and grows stronger by the day. We look forward to the challenges ahead."

"We are very excited to announce this extension for Coach Napier," athletic director Bryan Maggard said in the release. "He has led our football program to new heights, and we look forward to continued success under his leadership."

Mississippi State has yet to make a hire with Patriots assistant Joe Judge and Florida defensive coordinator Todd Grantham believed to be the serious candidates for the position in Starkville now. Napier addressed the reported interest prior to the game.

"It's fair to say we've made a decision that I'm not a candidate for that job. I just want to get that out of the way," Napier said, according to Creg Stephenson of AL.com. " It's very humbling when you do have opportunities and your name comes up in connection with jobs like that. I think it's a product of our success. Football's a game where when you do have success, it's a team effort.

"We have a tremendous staff, and we've got great leadership, tremendous vision by our administration. We're humbled that some of those things get brought up, but we're excited about the challenge that's in front of us."
If we're going to take a chance on a guy with as limited a track record as Napier, who I think is a good coach, I'd rather do that with our own internal candidate in Joey McGuire.

Napier's only been there for two years and hasn't had to win with his own recruits yet. He could well be the next Seth Littrell this time next year.
boognish_bear
RegentCoverup
boognish_bear said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Josh Gordon could be his OC
You have to almost feel bad for the people paying for the other site that don't see this kind of comedy.
CorsicanaBear
Was unfamiliar with Coach Napier. Here's what Wiki has to say.

He's been around championship teams and has at least seen what it takes to win one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Napier
Illigitimus non carborundum
RegentCoverup
I will say this, if you wonder where these off brand Sports outlets get their info, you can now see how an agent works.
boognish_bear
The last time around I don't remember anyone having Rhule on the radar....

Not sure most of these college writers really have much real scoop
boognish_bear
RegentCoverup
boognish_bear said:

The last time around I don't remember anyone having Rhule on the radar....

Not sure most of these college writers really have much real scoop
All it takes is an email address and a Twitter account, and YOU can be a star!
Branch155
boognish_bear said:

When Mack Brown left UNC to go to UT, the players lobbied hard with our amateur AD to make Mack's DC, Carl Torbush, the head coach. He proceeded to go 17-18 in 4 years, and left the program in shambles.

The situation with McGuire is different. But my point is, players' opinions should be taken with a big grain of salt
RegentCoverup
Yeah, but Torbush had a badass mustache.
boognish_bear
Branch155 said:

boognish_bear said:

When Mack Brown left UNC to go to UT, the players lobbied hard with our amateur AD to make Mack's DC, Carl Torbush, the head coach. He proceeded to go 17-18 in 4 years, and left the program in shambles.

The situation with McGuire is different. But my point is, players' opinions should be taken with a big grain of salt

Agree....but the example on the other end of the spectrum is Ed Oregeron.

When LSU made him interim to finish out the year after Les got fired the players all rallied around him and made the push for him to get hired.

I know Rhoades it is highly motivated to make the best choice.... If it turns out he believes it's McGuire I will be on board.
TeamPlayer
Branch155 said:

boognish_bear said:

I don't see that any of those three players recorded a single football statistic during the 2019 season. I guess Casey wouldn't have being OL.
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

Branch155 said:

boognish_bear said:

When LSU made him interim to finish out the year after Les got fired the players all rallied around him and made the push for him to get hired.

I know Rhoades it is highly motivated to make the best choice.... If it turns out he believes it's McGuire I will be on board.
The USC players wanted Orgeron after his interim stint there as well. Some guys have "it," and players can often tell.
drahthaar
TeamPlayer said:

All 3 would be enormous whiffs and would send me into counseling.

Yeah. Just....no.
drahthaar
DubDub said:

Blake Anderson would bring back the gold helmets, guaranteed.

Well, there we have it!
TeamPlayer
bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

Branch155 said:

boognish_bear said:

The USC players wanted Orgeron after his interim stint there as well. Some guys have "it," and players can often tell.
It's nearly impossible to predict. Orgeron's success LSU doesn't guarantee similar results at USC.
Media Bear
No to Allen. A hard no.
Hee-hee, hee. Hee-hee, hee. Woo! -- Michael Jackson
A buppa-ba-ba, buppa-buppa-ba. -- Paula Abdul
Say yah-yah-yah. -- John Mellencamp
Ooh-ooh wee-oo ooh-ooh-ooh. -- Mick Jagger/Rolling Stones
De do-do-do. De da-da-da. Is all I want to say to you. -- Sting (Gordon Sumner)/The Police
Ramidi ma-ma ba-di-ma, ramidi ma-ma ba-din-doe. -- David Draiman/Disturbed
C-c-c-c-come on. -- George Michael
People on streets, ee-da-dee-da-dee-da-dee-da -- Freddie Mercury
bear2be2
TeamPlayer said:

bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

Branch155 said:

boognish_bear said:

It's nearly impossible to predict. Orgeron's success LSU doesn't guarantee similar results at USC.
No, but he turned that season he was interim around completely. They went from sucking under Kiffin to playing at a really high level with no other major change. That should have been probably been a sign.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Brewer doesn't sound worried

Wapiti
bear2be2 said:

boognish_bear said:

Branch155 said:

boognish_bear said:

They also wanted Clay Helton after Sark was fired for being a drunk - they still do.
boognish_bear
Ebner

possible12
boognish_bear said:

4 hours ago

Napier...Sweeny...if he'll proclaim moG on espn after wins....hire him.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.