Football
Sponsored by

The 8 "Blue Blood" schools as identified by 120,000 twitter users

7,769 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by HarryMehre
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Redbrickbear said:

But I will say they had better pick it up and be in the running for a national title soon or they might find themselves forever behind Baylor and OU in the Big 12.

FIFY
MommaBear
BellCountyBear said:

Nebraska hasn't been relevant in over a decade.
I was about to say the same thing. They've pretty much sucked since joining the Big 10, yet I can still hear their "GO BIG RED" chant at Floyd Casey. They sure traveled well to Waco.
Thee University
Nebraska lost its mojo due to poor coaching.

After Osborne left it has been a parade of coaching mistakes.

Frank Solich
Bill Callahan
Bo Pelini
Mike Riley
Scott Frost

The raw talent level has dipped the last couple of years so they need to make a huge hire to replace Frost before it gets any worse.
TeamPlayer
Thee University said:

Nebraska lost its mojo due to poor coaching.

After Osborne left it has been a parade of coaching mistakes.

Frank Solich
Bill Callahan
Bo Pelini
Mike Riley
Scott Frost

The raw talent level has dipped the last couple of years so they need to make a huge hire to replace Frost before it gets any worse.
Pelini was a really good coach, as is Frost. They will give Frost several more years.

I did like a quote from the Omaha Herald in regards to Pelini, paraphrasing "He gave us wins we'll never remember and losses we'll never forget." Given that they finished in the top 25 his last 6 seasons at Nebraska and their history since, that statement was inaccurate but funny at the time.
BellCountyBear
MommaBear said:

BellCountyBear said:

I was about to say the same thing. They've pretty much sucked since joining the Big 10, yet I can still hear their "GO BIG RED" chant at Floyd Casey. They sure traveled well to Waco.
Yes they did. I would like to play them again. Most of their fans are not obnoxious *******s.
Stefano DiMera
Frank Solich was and is a very good coach..Callahan was similar to Rhule..in his case he came in and tried to modernize their offense and program..and got much pushback.
Jorkel
BellCountyBear said:

MommaBear said:

BellCountyBear said:

Yes they did. I would like to play them again. Most of their fans are not obnoxious *******s.

You must be a wimp or an ******* yourself because I've been around a lot of husker fans and they were all super nice and welcoming, football and baseball events, tailgating etc.
Wapiti
Stefano DiMera said:

Frank Solich was and is a very good coach..Callahan was similar to Rhule..in his case he came in and tried to modernize their offense and program..and got much pushback.

Callahan was a hell of a recruiter. His problem was his damn west coast offense.
BellCountyBear
Jorkel said:

BellCountyBear said:

MommaBear said:

BellCountyBear said:

You must be a wimp or an ******* yourself because I've been around a lot of husker fans and they were all super nice and welcoming, football and baseball events, tailgating etc.
Hey ******, you must have failed reading in elementary school. Keep trying!
Aliceinbubbleland
boognish_bear said:

It's been a bit of a dry run for the last decade for these blue bloods....USC, ND, Mich, Neb, and UT. These 5 schools have only finished the season in the Top 10 a combined 6 times over the last decade.

USC 2 times
ND 2 times
Mich 1 time
UT 1 time
Neb zero

none

UT 9th
ND 5th

none

USC 3rd
Mich 10th

none

none

none

ND 4th

USC 6th

none

Which makes me extremely happy and overjoyed.
boognish_bear
BUbackerinET
More aptly "the entitles 8"
DanaDane
The concept of "Blue Blood" programs in college football should be viewed in light of a 20-25 year current window given that the style of play changes dramatically over that time frame. Winning multiple natty's in the 1950s has no impact on the majority of fans or recruits in 2020 who weren't even born then.

Ohio St., OU, Bama and Clemson are the only modern Blue Bloods. LSU is much closer to being a "Blue Blood" program in the eyes of those 30 and under today than Nebraska will ever be.
historian
Jack Bauer said:

USC???
I think USC may have been relevant when Baylor beat them in the 1980s but I don't think they have been very important in the past decade or so.

After reading the comments above I've come to the conclusion that nowadays blue blood does not mean much. Yes, it's nice to claim a bunch of Heisman's and Natty's but if all or most are from 50+ years ago, it is hardly relevant to the 21st century. Knute Rockne was a legend at ND but besides making the playoffs once (& soundly losing in the semis), they have not amounted to much in the past several years and I don't see them making it to the playoffs again soon. At least Texas has a more recent National Championship but they have never been to the playoffs and Baylor might have a better chance.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Baylor3216
Malbec said:

Quote:

...Nebraska has 46 conference titles and 10 division titles to Penn State's 5 conference titles and 2 division titles
Penn State played as an independent for over 100 years without a conference affiliation. Pomegranates and oranges.

Fair but since they joined the big 10 in 1992? They've still not won many. That's almost 30 seasons
HarryMehre
Nebraska built a great program under Bob Devaney, that Tom Osborne continued. The Cornhuskers had some advantages and head starts that they no longer have that edge working.

Nebraska was way ahead of almost else in weight training and conditioning in the 1960's through really the 1980's (some might mention steroids, too. I don't know).

Nebraska also had the huge walk-on program that helped them. Part of that program included the "county" scholarship that the State of Nebraska had at the time. Each country sent a deserving student to Nebraska that didn't count as an athletic scholarship. It's amazing how often that deserving scholar was also a good football player.

Nebraska also had a recruiting edge over some programs in the 1980's by taking Prop 48's, partial qualifiers, etc. The Huskers also didn't mind keeping great talents with huge problems around like Lawrence Phillips.

Nebraska used to get a lot of players from Texas, New Jersey, Florida and California despite the weather. When you are churning out 5-7 teams, you aren't very attractive to recruits from far away.

One Nebraska lost their winning ways they were in trouble. A team like Texas has the advantage of lots of in-state recruits. Nebraska doesn't have that anymore. It is hard to build when you aren't winning and don't have much to attract top recruits.

About all the Cornhuskers have to show recruits these days are a loyal home state crowd and sold out stadiums, but a lot of schools have that.
Baylor3216
HarryMehre said:

Nebraska built a great program under Bob Devaney, that Tom Osborne continued. The Cornhuskers had some advantages and head starts that they no longer have that edge working.

Nebraska was way ahead of almost else in weight training and conditioning in the 1960's through really the 1980's (some might mention steroids, too. I don't know).

Nebraska also had the huge walk-on program that helped them. Part of that program included the "county" scholarship that the State of Nebraska had at the time. Each country sent a deserving student to Nebraska that didn't count as an athletic scholarship. It's amazing how often that deserving scholar was also a good football player.

Nebraska also had a recruiting edge over some programs in the 1980's by taking Prop 48's, partial qualifiers, etc. The Huskers also didn't mind keeping great talents with huge problems around like Lawrence Phillips.

Nebraska used to get a lot of players from Texas, New Jersey, Florida and California despite the weather. When you are churning out 5-7 teams, you aren't very attractive to recruits from far away.

One Nebraska lost their winning ways they were in trouble. A team like Texas has the advantage of lots of in-state recruits. Nebraska doesn't have that anymore. It is hard to build when you aren't winning and don't have much to attract top recruits.

About all the Cornhuskers have to show recruits these days are a loyal home state crowd and sold out stadiums, but a lot of schools have that.

Sold out every game since Kennedy was president. That's pretty cool and loyal. No pro sports in state.
Wonder how long that will continue as popularity of football fades with kids due to CTE and lawyers looking for the next carcass to feed on.

boognish_bear
Chamberman
Keyser Soze said:

Blue Blood = most T Shirt fans
Yes. It was the NCAA that selected the "blue bloods" and created their early prominence in recruiting through the magic of television viewership.

In the beginning of televised college football games, the NCAA picked which games would be aired. The 8 teams listed were the schools that got selected more often, with the exception of OU. More television appearances resulted in better recruiting because kids wanted to be on TV. The rest is history.
lielabeaach
I know that Blue Bloods are the schools that have been one of the top programs for a long time but what actually qualifies a school as a blue blood?

I ask because I have seen debates on whether or not Florida State should be considered a blue blood. For me, I have always looked at them as a blue blood but I scrabble word finder see people holding their relatively late start in football against them.
HarryMehre
lielabeaach said:

I know that Blue Bloods are the schools that have been one of the top programs for a long time but what actually qualifies a school as a blue blood?

I ask because I have seen debates on whether or not Florida State should be considered a blue blood. For me, I have always looked at them as a blue blood but I see people holding their relatively late start in football against them.
Yes, they didn't start playing until 1946 (was an all girls school before that). They also really haven't been very good except for the Bowden years.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.