Story Poster
Photo by Nell Redmond-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Football

BREAKING: Baylor to hire former UNC HC Larry Fedora as offensive coordinator

January 25, 2020

Baylor head coach Dave Aranda is in the process of hiring former University of North Carolina head coach Larry Fedora as his offensive coordinator, SicEm365 has learned from multiple sources. Pete Thamel was the first to make the report public. 

Baylor has not confirmed the report at this time.

The news comes a day after Baylor officially announced Jorge Munoz of LSU as the passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach. 

Fedora was the head coach of the Tar Heels for seven seasons from 2012-2018 and compiled an overall record of 45-43 including an even 28-28 in league play. From 2012-2016 Fedora led UNC to a 40-25 record, but won only five games in his final two seasons there in 2017 and 2018.

Fedora spent the 2019 season as an analyst for the University of Texas while receiving his buyout from UNC.

Prior to North Carolina, Fedora spent four seasons as the head coach at Southern Miss where he amassed a 34-19 overall record and a 20-12 record in Conference USA from 2008-2011.  From 2005-2007 Fedora was the offensive coordinator for Oklahoma State under Mike Gundy and from 2002-2004 he spent time on staff at Florida, including as the offensive coordinator in 2004.

Fedora won the C-USA Championship in 2011 with Southern Miss and reached the ACC Championship game in 2015 with UNC.

Known for his powerful offenses, Fedora’s teams averaged north of 30 points in nine of his 11 seasons as a head coach. As an offensive coordinator at Oklahoma State, the Cowboys improved from 20.2 points in his first season to 35.2 and 34.6 points in years two and three.

Fedora spent six seasons as an assistant coach at Baylor from 1991-1996, including time coaching the receivers, tight ends and running backs. Fedora spent two years under head coach Grant Teaff from 1991-1992.

Discussion from...

BREAKING: Baylor to hire former UNC HC Larry Fedora as offensive coordinator

32,548 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CoachHBU2008
Kingdom Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fire Dave Aranda.

Just kidding. I was wrong about Chad Morris. I'll probably be wrong about Larry, too.
The Kingdoms of this world have become the Kingdoms of our God and of His Christ. ~Revelation 11:15. Stand. Repent. Build.
DaRealBears
So the rumors were true..
KajunKarlsdad
Ugh
George Truett
He's great on offense, so I'm good!
BUDC
Welcome Larry. Throw the ball to our wide open tight ends over the middle and some deep balls to our track star receivers please.
hodedofome
I like getting former HC's as coordinators, they seem to do well in that role.

We shall see if Fedora continues that trend here.
Branch155
BUDC said:

Welcome Larry. Throw the ball to our wide open tight ends over the middle and some deep balls to our track star receivers please.
In Fedora's first two years at UNC, Eric Ebron had 40 and 62 catches, respectively, on the way to being selected 10th in the 2014 draft. I don't think Baylor has a TE on the roster as talented as Ebron, but the point is, Fedora knows how to get the ball to his playmakers.

This is a very solid hire. I posted at length in another thread the good and bad about Fedora at UNC. Bottom line is the man knows offense.
gobears20
Staff
He will boost our recruiting and he has head coaching experience at a Power Five. We will be fine. Wait until he gets to recruit with our facilities.

With this staff you can tell Baylor is opening the pocket book. Rhoades said he wants to play for national championships.
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
historian
I noticed the news report did not mention the one game they played against Baylor in 2015: the RAB in which we torched them for 645 rushing yards--a bowl record--and won the game 49-38. Oh yes, we also did it running the "wild bear" offense with 5 different players taking snaps.

Here's a nice abbreviated version:

“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
bear2be2
George Truett said:

He's great on offense, so I'm good!

Exactly. Fedora was good enough as a coordinator to get a head coaching job off his resume. And a substandard finish to an otherwise successful head coaching run doesn't make him a bad coordinator.

If we were hiring Fedora as our head coach, I'd get the angst. But I struggle to understand the disappointment here. We're assigning the man to a position for which he's overqualified and in which he's had a ton of success in the past.

This is another good move for Aranda as far as I'm concerned.
xraes
And now it's complete. What a couple of weeks for CDA!
bear2be2
xraes said:

And now it's complete. What a couple of weeks for CDA!

Good call on Fedora. You nailed that one.
CTbruin
Great hire.

Baylor ties, Texa ties and an outstanding offense coach.
boognish_bear
Love the hire. Can the NCAA please move the kickoff for the 2020 season to March?

boognish_bear
hodedofome said:

I like getting former HC's as coordinators, they seem to do well in that role.

We shall see if Fedora continues that trend here.

I think it can also be helpful to Aranda as a first time HC to have someone on staff who has done it.

Fedora did have some success at UNC and probably also learned some things not to do that he can pass on to Aranda.

My understanding is Fedora really wants to be a HC again so I would expect him to be highly motivated to be successful in this role.
pitchspork
Totally understand when people had reservations about potentially making Fedora the head coach.

But as the Offensive Coordinator? Total homerun hire. Gets to focus in on what he's really good at it. This should be a massive upgrade for us.

Take a second to think about how much things could have gone off the rails with Rhule leaving so abruptly. Instead, the future actually looks better than ever. Rhoades earning his paycheck for sure.
boognish_bear
I'm curious what our total salaries for our on field coaching staff is going to end up being. I've got to imagine it's somewhere near the top of college football.

Timbear
Solid hire. Experience recruiting and coaching in the state of Texas, at Baylor, and the Big 12. If Coach Grande chose him, he's good.
Big_Pumpin
Look it happens all the time. Sometimes good coordinators are good head coaches, sometimes not. Kevin Steele was the worst head coach in history and now he is one of the best coordinators. Alls I know is that our offense can't be any worse than last year. Don't throw out stats. I watched every snap.
ImABearToo
Aranda sure not intimidated by hiring people with many more years in the hot seat than he has. Really applaud his work so far.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
Jorkel
Branch155 said:

BUDC said:

In Fedora's first two years at UNC, Eric Ebron had 40 and 62 catches, respectively, on the way to being selected 10th in the 2014 draft. I don't think Baylor has a TE on the roster as talented as Ebron, but the point is, Fedora knows how to get the ball to his playmakers.

This is a very solid hire. I posted at length in another thread the good and bad about Fedora at UNC. Bottom line is the man knows offense.

We don't know how good our tight ends are..they were only used to block.
Bear8084
Excellent hire! His offensive stats the type of offense speaks for themselves. Yes, as a HC he was not as successful and was blown out by us by just rushing (that UNC team was also awful at run defense), but he is not hired as HC or defense. Just strictly offense and his coaching experience is going to make him very exciting and successful IMO. Welcome home and Sic 'Em Coach Fedora!
Timbear
McLane will be packed.
Big_Pumpin
You know what I like most? We were able to hire him as an OC. It will be absolutely splendid when we roll into Austin next year and light them up with him on our side!!!!
Cove Dawg
Phenomenal hire!
Jorkel
Bear8084 said:

Excellent hire! His offensive stats the type of offense speaks for themselves. Yes, as a HC he was not as successful and was blown out by us by just rushing (that UNC team was also awful at run defense), but he is not hired as HC or defense. Just strictly offense and his coaching experience is going to make him very exciting and successful IMO. Welcome home and Sic 'Em Coach Fedora!

It's not like he failed at UNC....it's hard to win there consistently in football. He did pretty good.
boognish_bear
Big_Pumpin said:

You know what I like most? We were able to hire him as an OC. It will be absolutely splendid when we roll into Austin next year and light them up with him on our side!!!!

After working with Herman last year Fedora is going to really enjoy working with an adult this year.

A few days ago there was a quote that Aranda talked to Herman and Herman talked to him about assistants. I would assume that was about Fedora.
PartyBear
Great hire, he was who the Texas folks wanted Herman to name OC as this past season ended. Herman may have done it had Fedora made himself a candidate rather than pursue a Hc job.

Fedora will likely get another HC shot after a season or 2 as OC here. He probably will not be here for long realistically due that understandably. But this is a great hire here.
Bear8084
Jorkel said:

Bear8084 said:

It's not like he failed at UNC....it's hard to win there consistently in football. He did pretty good.

True. Not a failure at all. I guess I was trying to clarify how some hold one bowl game and his bad season over his head like some colossal implosion and failure when really, while not successful in the end, he was actually not bad when one looks at his whole time as UNC HC.
xraes
PartyBe said:

Fedora will likely get another HC shot after a season or 2 as OC here. He probably will not be here for long realistically due that understandably. But this is a great hire here.
Agreed, which is why hiring Munoz was so key.
boognish_bear
PartyBear said:

I think that's probably to be expected with the majority of coordinators that have success. It's hard to keep them for long.
RiskyBizz Bear
I think I like it.
boognish_bear
I am also glad that Aranda kept Bell and McGuire on staff.

In addition to their importance of recruiting Texas.... I like that our current players still have some guys on staff they are connected to. Should help smooth out the transition period.
RiskyBizz Bear
He knows offense. For sure. People were really down on him after the way UNC ended. But he did well there. Built up to a great 2015 then had major injuries and didn't seem to have any depth.

I don't mind if he wants to get back to HC- would mean he needs to overachieve here.

Major plus that he has some HC experience - should only be a benefit to Aranda.

Even further, he wasn't the "big guy" in ACC or while doing well at oSu, so I am confident he can succeed without being the big brand / state school. In other words, he has done more with less. Which is usually the position BU is coming from as far as athletes/ recruits go.
Bear8084
Fedora and Munoz coming together and making an offense makes it very exciting to look forward to.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.