Story Poster
Baylor Football

BREAKING: Dave Aranda to add Matt Powledge as assistant coach

February 6, 2020

Louisiana outside linebackers coach and special teams coordinator Matt Powledge is expected to join Dave Aranda’s staff at Baylor as a safeties coach and will serve as the teams special teams coordinator, SicEm365 has learned. The news was first reported on Twitter by John Brice. 

SicEm365

Baylor has not responded to a request of confirmation at this time.

Powledge arrives in Waco after two seasons with the Ragin’ Cajuns and under the direction of head coach Billy Napier. In 2019 he helped lead the defense to a drastic improvement statistically, improving from the No. 97 defensive unit nationally in 2018 to No. 47 in 2019. The unit also improved their scoring defense from No. 105 nationally (34.2) in 2018 to No. 18 (19.7) in 2019.

Prior to his time in Lafayette, Powledge served as tight ends coach and special teams coordinator for ULM from 2016-17. Under Powledge, ULM ranked second in the Sun Belt Conference in 2017 in kickoff returns averaging 25.2 yards per return. 

From 2014-15 Powledge spent two seasons at Sam Houston State where he led his alma mater to arguably its best special teams season of all-time. The Bearkats were the best of the Southland Conference in four different categories including punt return yards, blocked kicks, special teams scores and PAT percentage. The unit was also one of six teams nationally to block two or more punts and return two or more for touchdowns.

Powledge played his college career at Sam Houston State from 2005-09, culminating in All-Southland and team captain honors his senior season. 

Discussion from...

BREAKING: Dave Aranda to add Matt Powledge as assistant coach

12,265 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Baylor3216
hodedofome
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's looking like a Cajun takeover of Central Texas. Welcome.

My only concern is, can these Louisiana coaches and Texas players communicate with each other? We don't exactly have a reputation for proper English.
RR/BV
I see an upgrade in Cajun eateries in Waco.......
Timbear
Coach Grande is working hard. Someone we can count on again. Good hire.
Mojo Risin'
Awesome hire. Matt was an incredibly hard worker in high school and displayed strong character back then. Great to see him rise this quickly through the coaching ranks.
UniquelyUrsine
hodedofome said:

It's looking like a Cajun takeover of Central Texas. Welcome.

My only concern is, can these Louisiana coaches and Texas players communicate with each other? We don't exactly have a reputation for proper English.
Neither do the Cajuns...
Baylor3216
RR/BV said:

I see an upgrade in Cajun eateries in Waco.......

Is that papadeaix's finally coming?!?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.