Story Poster
Photo by Baylor Athletics
Baylor Football

Report: Dave Aranda to hire Justin Johnson as Baylor's new RB coach

February 10, 2020

According to FootballScoop.com, Baylor head coach Dave Aranda will hire Justin “Juice” Johnson to coach the running backs.  Johnson would be the 10th and final assistant coach to be hired by Aranda since the former LSU defensive coordinator was hired by Director of Athletics Mack Rhoades last month. 

SicEm365 has not been able to confirm FootballScoop’s report at this time. 

Johnson arrives in Waco after spending a single seasons as an assistant at the University of Houston, his alma mater (2008-2011). Johnson spent the 2019 season coaching the running backs after being hired by new head coach Dana Holgerson. Johnson was set to coach the tight ends and Y-wide receivers for the Cougars in 2020 before his transition to Baylor.

Prior to his time in Houston, Johnson spent three seasons at Kansas. After two seasons as an offensive analyst in 2016 and 2017, Johnson was promoted to receivers coach in 2018 under head coach David Beaty. 

Johnson entered the coaching field as an offensive quality control assistant in 2012 at Houston and followed that up with a season as a graduate assistant at Texas A&M. 

Discussion from...

Report: Dave Aranda to hire Justin Johnson as Baylor's new RB coach

10,628 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bear2be2
philiplewis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Finally we're done
Mike E
Good someone from somewhere other than LA
GShack
Former Baylor commit from the Morriss era if I remember correctly.
osochuckles
You're correct. I went to high school and played football with him (and his brother, Josh) and he was committed to Baylor all the way -- I distinctly remember him sporting all the Baylor swag he got from his visits during practice. From what I remember, Justin took an unofficial visit to Houston because he was close with some Berkner alums on the team, and when Morriss heard about it he yanked Justin's offer. Either way, this is exciting news (if true) as he is a great dude and will be a valuable asset to the coaching staff and on the recruiting trail.
bear2be2
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.