Story Poster

Memorial Day 2020: Citation of Baylor Bear Jack Lummus, a Medal of Honor Recipient

May 25, 2020

Download the SicEm365 mobile app today for free on iOS & Android!

In honor of the former Baylor Bear two-sport star, SicEm365 presents the read citation of Medal of Honor and Purple Heart recipient Jack Lummus.

Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as leader of a Rifle Platoon attached to the 2d Battalion, 27th Marines, 5th Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima in the Volcano Islands, 8 March 1945. Resuming his assault tactics with bold decision after fighting without respite for 2 days and nights, 1st Lt. Lummus slowly advanced his platoon against an enemy deeply entrenched in a network of mutually supporting positions. Suddenly halted by a terrific concentration of hostile fire, he unhesitatingly moved forward of his front lines in an effort to neutralize the Japanese position. Although knocked to the ground when an enemy grenade exploded close by, he immediately recovered himself and, again moving forward despite the intensified barrage, quickly located, attacked, and destroyed the occupied emplacement. Instantly taken under fire by the garrison of a supporting pillbox and further assailed by the slashing fury of hostile rifle fire, he fell under the impact of a second enemy grenade but, courageously disregarding painful shoulder wounds, staunchly continued his heroic 1-man assault and charged the second pillbox, annihilating all the occupants. Subsequently returning to his platoon position, he fearlessly traversed his lines under fire, encouraging his men to advance and directing the fire of supporting tanks against other stubbornly holding Japanese emplacements. Held up again by a devastating barrage, he again moved into the open, rushed a third heavily fortified installation and killed the defending troops. Determined to crush all resistance, he led his men indomitably, personally attacking foxholes and spider traps with his carbine and systematically reducing the fanatic opposition until, stepping on a land mine, he sustained fatal wounds. By his outstanding valor, skilled tactics, and tenacious perseverance in the face of overwhelming odds, 1st Lt. Lummus had inspired his stouthearted marines to continue the relentless drive northward, thereby contributing materially to the success of his regimental mission. His dauntless leadership and unwavering devotion to duty throughout sustain and enhance the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the service of his country.

Discussion from...

Memorial Day 2020: Citation of Baylor Bear Jack Lummus, a Medal of Honor Recipient

6,105 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Brian Ethridge
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks for posting.

Several years ago, Keith Olbermann had a wonderful video about the "Real Meaning of Memorial Day in Sports" which highlighted several sports figures who ended up fighting in WWII and concluded with Lummus. I don't know why, but I'm very disappointed the video was removed from YouTube. Otherwise, I would post it now.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Brian Ethridge
Staff
historian
Thanks for posting! I don't know why my search did not work.
BCL79
It is a horrible oversight on the part of our alma mater that both Lummus and Kane are not immortalized at the new stadium is some monumental way. It shames me and should shame the leaders, past and present, that have refused to honor two of the greatest heroes to ever walk Baylor's campus.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BCL79 said:

It is a horrible oversight on the part of our alma mater that both Lummus and Kane are not immortalized at the new stadium is some monumental way. It shames me and should shame the leaders, past and present, that have refused to honor two of the greatest heroes to ever walk Baylor's campus.
It will be rectified soon.
historian
I wish I knew more about both men--especially John R. Kane.
historian
A good place to start:

http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detail/2813/kane-john-r.php
Brian Ethridge
Staff
historian said:

A good place to start:

http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detail/2813/kane-john-r.php

I wrote an article on both in 2015 on 247. They may still have it archived. I suck as a writer, but I tried to convey what they should be remembered for.

One gave everything and the other may have stopped the Germans.
historian
Thanks for the info. I found it:

https://247sports.com/college/baylor/Article/Congressional-Medal-of-Honor-Recipients-Lummus-and-Kane-132213/
Singletary63
Kurt Dorr put a ton of work into making an amazing video about Jack Lumus. Always amazed me that no one at Baylor took the time to do it themselves. He even was in contact with some of his family and used their thoughts in the video. Why we never named our new football stadium Lumus-Kane Stadium like Iowa did after Nile Kinnick still baffles me. Maybe one day leadership at Baylor will figure mess out.
Singletary63
Singletary63
Kurt Dorr put a ton of work into making an amazing video about Jack Lumus. Always amazed me that no one at Baylor took the time to do it themselves. He even was in contact with some of his family and used their thoughts in the video. Why we never named our new football stadium Lumus-Kane Stadium like Iowa did after Nile Kinnick still baffles me. Maybe one day leadership at Baylor will figure mess out.
Singletary63
Brian Ethridge
Staff
historian said:

Thanks for the info. I found it:

https://247sports.com/college/baylor/Article/Congressional-Medal-of-Honor-Recipients-Lummus-and-Kane-132213/

Wow, 2013, and another chapter will be done here soon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.