Football
Sponsored by

Judge orders Baylor to turn over Pepper Hamilton documents in Title IX lawsuit

6,916 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BUbackerinET
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff

Saying that Baylor University has used documents generated by the Pepper Hamilton law firm "as a sword and a shield," a federal magistrate on Tuesday ordered Baylor to turn over the firm's records to attorneys for 15 women suing the school for alleged Title IX violations.
U.S. Magistrate Andrew W. Austin, who was assigned by U.S. District Judge Robert Pitman to manage the prolonged discovery process in the four-year litigation, ordered Baylor to turn over the hotly contested documents from the Philadelphia law firm to the plaintiffs' lawyers by July 15 or face sanctions.

The 48-page order represents a major step for the 15 former Baylor students, who allege that Baylor maintained discriminatory policies in handling reports of sexual assaults and that those practices increased risks of sexual assault.
Austin's order, bluntly worded at times, warns Baylor to stop playing "hide the ball," to turn over the Pepper Hamilton documents "in good faith" and to cease its efforts to withhold them.
"Finally, the court will not tolerate any more misreadings of a court order," Austin wrote. "Baylor has made a habit of avoiding discovery compliance by interpreting orders in its favor even when the order directs otherwise. On at least two occasions, Baylor has 'accidentally' failed to produce court-ordered production, both involving Pepper Hamilton materials.

"Last spring, after Baylor had certified complete production of all Pepper Hamilton materials, Baylor 'discovered' over a thousand documents just days before the Pepper Hamilton production deadline," according to the judge's order.
Baylor spokesperson Lori Fogleman said Tuesday that Baylor officials would not comment on the judge's orders.
The dates of the alleged sexual assaults of the 15 plaintiffs range from September 2004 to April 2017. Baylor hired Pepper Hamilton in August 2015 to investigate its responses to sexual assault and to make recommendations about how to improve its Title IX compliance. Pepper Hamilton's investigation looked back three years, covering the 2012-2013 through 2014-2015 academic years.
Waco attorney Jim Dunnam, who represents the plaintiffs with Houston attorney Chad Dunn, was pleased with the judge's order.

"From the start, our clients have asked that the truth be known, something thousands in the Baylor family have also urged," Dunnam said. "True accountability requires full sunlight, and this is one more significant step that will allow a jury to finally bring justice to these brave young women."
Since Jane Doe 11's alleged assault occurred after the Pepper Hamilton investigation and the release of its 105 recommendations to the Baylor Board of Regents, Baylor's attorneys in May sought to change their defensive strategy in that case by seeking to preclude any reference to Pepper Hamilton at trial and thereby trying to head off further production of its documents.
In a stinging denial of Baylor's motion, Austin said prohibiting reference to Pepper Hamilton's work "would require witnesses to testify in half-truths in order to pretend that Baylor conducted its own investigation and originated its own policy reforms... Baylor is effectively asking its witnesses to lie," he said.

The judge added that Baylor has had four years to settle on a defense in the case and allowing the change now is "unwarranted" and would be asking the court to "permit indeed, require false testimony." Furthermore, the judge continued, limiting mention of Pepper Hamilton and its investigation "would be allowing Baylor to present what is, for all intents and purposes, a narrative everyone but the jury would know to be false."
"In the end, this is a classic case of a party trying to use the work product doctrine as a sword and a shield..." the order states. "The pleadings illustrate the centrality of Pepper Hamilton to Baylor's response to sexual assault claims. The words 'Pepper Hamilton' have appeared hundreds, and perhaps thousands, of times in the briefing in this case. At the same time, throughout this litigation, Baylor has doggedly opposed every request for discovery of any materials connected to Pepper Hamilton.

"As the court stated in the hearing, the reason this case is four years old is because Baylor wants to dramatically restrict the discovery of facts in this case by restricting discovery of Pepper Hamilton's work, but Baylor still wants to get the benefit of relying on the investigation and reforms that Pepper Hamilton carried out," according to the order.
The judge's order requiring Baylor to produce Pepper Hamilton materials includes documents from which the Philadelphia attorneys presented their investigative findings to Baylor's board, "any other documents that record in any way what the regents were told at the presentation," PowerPoint slideshows, attorney outlines or notes for
canoso
Lights haven't shined, bright or otherwise.
Timbear
"Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely "
Malbec
Much of Baylor's website has been scrubbed of BOR Chair Jerry Clements, who was part of the Philly Crew and whose term ended May 31st. Even the original link to the press release announcing her appointment has been directed to her law firm's own press release. Is BU now finally engaging in its own form of social distancing? They are late to the party.
Kingdom Bear
Horse *****

Carry on, gentlemen....
The Kingdoms of this world have become the Kingdoms of our God and of His Christ. ~Revelation 11:15. Stand. Repent. Build.
boognish_bear
Baylor is providing quite the case study for future PR firms to learn how not to handle a crisis
boognish_bear
Kind of related

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/baylor-probe-clears-chairman-racist-sexist-comments-69054694

Singletary63
https://sicem365.com/forums/7/topics/67381

Already posted.
BUbackerinET
The gift that keeps on giving...it's like a recurring nightmare
Robert Wilson
Well, duh.

It was obvious that the Board mightily screwed up in the way they initially engaged and then subsequently dealt with the Pepper Hamilton report from the very beginning.

Was clear they'd acted in a way that would blow privilege. They stuck their head in the sand and have continued to fight it as long as they could, and long enough to piss off the judge, but maybe for some pretty good reasons. Gonna be interesting to see what Dunnam pulls out of there.
historian
BUbackerinET said:

The gift that keeps on giving...it's like a recurring nightmare
Baylor's own version of Groundhog Day?
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
ABC BEAR
Just wondering how many of the 15 plaintiffs reported the alleged incidents to the police and submitted to rape exams at the time?
BellCountyBear
I don't know him, but Jim Dunham seems like a slimeball.
historian
My understanding has always been that the police dismissed most of those cases for lack of evidence.
drahthaar
historian said:

My understanding has always been that the police dismissed most of those cases for lack of evidence.
Seems I recall that also, but no one cares about that, especially before the revised Title 9. only thing that matters here is: What did BU do subsequent to the complaints?
historian
Part of the problem with all the Title IX fake scandal is that the Title IX rules were changed with the expectation that schools would be judging the cases. This was an open invitation to all kinds of gross injustice. The problem is the U.S. Constitution guarantees all American citizens the right of due process--twice (5th & 14th amendments).

The result was that some schools set up kangaroo courts without any justice and people are punished without any right to defense, etc. Mind you, this happened routinely in America. I'm not talking about China or Cuba or some other hell hole where they don't pretend to believe in human rights.

Thankfully, Baylor did not do that. And this may be the reason the media piled on so much during the fake scandal--and the fact that they are not going to let a scandal go to waste. For them it's a way to sell papers or boost ratings. The facts, honesty, integrity, professionalism are not important.
Wichitabear
witchmo said:

historian said:

Seems I recall that also, but no one cares about that, especially before the revised Title 9. only thing that matters here is: What did BU do subsequent to the complaints?

we just need to turn over the dang papers and be done with it! I'm sick of how the NCAA is hovering above. They need to get on with it too. Give it to us so we can get on with our lives. I want those young ladies to have their day in court. Whatever it takes. Sue us take away our titles. Whatever makes everyone happy!! We have started trying to right the wrongs. Guess next step is just burning it down. Thank you. Just had to get out the frustration.
Dia del DougO
BOR's horrific response is the disaster that keeps on disastering.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
ABC BEAR
Let me get this straight: Baylor is being sued because its policies allegedly permitted a culture of sexual assault to exist on campus? How does this affect the 15 plaintiffs unless they can legally verify that individually each one was a victim of sexual assault? For a sexual assault to occur, wouldn't that also infer that a rapist or rapists were also involved? If so, who are these people and will they testify that their actions occurred as a result of Baylor policies?

The whole thing sounds nebulous to me. Unless each of the 15 testifies individually and can provide clinical details that a sexual assault occurred and that the perpetrator was directly driven to commit this assault by Baylor policies, I would move the charges be dismissed.

Is it too old-fashioned and quaint to believe it is the responsibility of the plaintiff to prove a crime occurred?
Malbec
ABC BEAR said:

Let me get this straight: Baylor is being sued because its policies allegedly permitted a culture of sexual assault to exist on campus? How does this affect the 15 plaintiffs unless they can legally verify that individually each one was a victim of sexual assault? For a sexual assault to occur, wouldn't that also infer that a rapist or rapists were also involved? If so, who are these people and will they testify that their actions occurred as a result of Baylor policies?

The whole thing sounds nebulous to me. Unless each of the 15 testifies individually and can provide clinical details that a sexual assault occurred and that the perpetrator was directly driven to commit this assault by Baylor policies, I would move the charges be dismissed.

Is it too old-fashioned and quaint to believe it is the responsibility of the plaintiff to prove a crime occurred?
We have discussed this enough over the last 4 years that you have should have a grasp of all this by now. You don't. I'm sorry for that.
BUbackerinET
Haha! So true
historian
ABC BEAR said:

American justice used to be based upon "innocent until proven guilty." Under Title IX of recent years, that was thrown out the window by the "believe the woman" crowd. And it's not just on campuses, it's everywhere else as well--unless the woman is accusing Joe Biden, or any other Leftist politician prominent enough to have the media cover for them.
ImABearToo
Bingo! Winner winner chicken dinner!
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
PartyBear
4 years later (literally it was 4 years ago last week or two weeks ago) the Regents bungling this is still a salient issue. That BOR has to have been the worst BOR in Baylor history. Their bungling this has to go down as perhaps among the worst handlings of an issue by a BOR in the history of American university governance.
Stefano DiMera
After watching the Jeffrey Epstein doc on Netflix seeing the several appearances by Ken Starr i could see why were in this mess.
PartyBear
No doubt Ken Starr was a disaster and has been even a bigger disaster as "former" Baylor President. He has not helped Baylor at all with his post Baylor gigs.
BUGWBBear
Is this the 3 pages of bullet points that PH handed over to the BOI?
Porteroso
Ken Starr wasn't too big a problem, he had little to do with it. It was the BOR that thought it a good idea to hire Ken Starr in the first place. Starr actually did a pretty good job. It was a dream for him, just shmooze some rich people over dinner and wine, and he did pretty well.

BOR is 100% at fault, and Baylor's response afterwards has been exactly what any lawyer would tell you to do, which is unfortunately exactly the opposite of what looks good, or what a Baptist University should be doing.

Any other school prolongs this, doesn't turn over documents when asked by the judicial system... it doesn't matter. Baptists do it, and it's front page news.

And I agree, it should be front page news. The handling of this couldn't be less Christian. Someone should sue Baylor to force them to get rid of the Baptist image. It's just a bunch of lawyers covering their asses over there.
Stefano DiMera
We'll see how big a problem Starr was when the NCAA report becomes public. Hes guilty of grade fixing and providing free legal aid at the least.
Russell Gym
Big penalties for Baylor coming from NCAA?
ABC BEAR
Malbec said:

ABC BEAR said:

We have discussed this enough over the last 4 years that you have should have a grasp of all this by now. You don't. I'm sorry for that.
Thank You. I'll take that as a compliment.
Alf
BellCountyBear said:

Well he is a lawyer so that is a prerequisite.
Michibear
BellCountyBear said:

Probably true, but I guess if I had to go to court, I'd rather he be my lawyer than my opponent's.
Stranger
BellCountyBear said:

Jimmy is not a bad guy. Drives a '65 Mustang and plays rock & roll guitar. Third generation member of the baddest law firm around. He's not sleazy and I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to try this case for the money. He most likely has another agenda.
DanaDane
Are we still gonna have to hear about the Pepper Hamilton report every 3 months in 2039?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.