Story Poster
Baylor Football

Side-By-Side: Career statistics for Baylor's Charlie Brewer & Robert Griffin III

July 3, 2020

Quarterbacks that spend four years as the starter at the college level typically rack up gaudy numbers and eventually fall among the best career producers in the history of the program they are part of.

Stats can be inflated or deflated by particular systems, but four years worth of playing and/or starting double-digit games means they’re likely going to be in the record book for quite awhile. 

Jim Black

At Baylor, senior starting quarterback Charlie Brewer is benefiting from the playing time he received early on in his career. Brewer’s path up the Baylor record books in total passing yards and touchdowns was a direct result of injuries to quarterbacks Anu Solomon and Zach Smith in 2017. Brewer played in eight of 12 games that season and started the final four, throwing for 1,542 yards and 11 touchdowns.

A repeat performance of his sophomore and junior seasons where Brewer threw for 3,019 and 3,161 yards, the Lake Travis product would take the top spot from Griffin in Baylor’s record books. He’s also within shouting distance of breaking Griffin’s passing touchdown record, though he would need a career best 28 this fall to break the record, Brewer threw for 21 as a junior. 

Through Griffin’s first three seasons—27 starts and 28 games played—he completed 64.4% of his passes. Compare that to Brewer’s 64.1% and the overall passing numbers are extremely similar. 

First Three Seasons
Griffin (28 games) — 64.4% passing, 216.9 ypg, 1.5 touchdowns, 0.39 interceptions
Brewer (35 games) — 64.1% passing, 221.2 ypg, 1.5 touchdowns, 0.57 interceptions

The drastic difference between the two in terms of production came in the form of Griffin’s feet. Through his first three seasons Griffin totaled 1,555 yards, nearly doubling Brewer’s 885 yards, and 23 touchdowns. Brewer’s rushing touchdown total of 18 has stayed within in the ballpark of Griffin, but at 0.51 per game it’s still considerably lacking to Griffin’s 0.82 per game.

Brewer will enter his senior season with a chance to surpass Griffin in a variety of categories, but will also have a handful of games extra to achieve those numbers if he can stay healthy. 

Try SicEm365 Premium until August 30 for $5.00!

Statistical Category Griffin Brewer
Games Played 41 35
Games Started 40 30
Completions 800 630
Attempts 1192 983
Percentage 67.1% 64.1%
Yards 10,366 7,742
Yards/Attempt 8.7 7.9
Touchdowns 78 51
Interceptions 17 20
Rushing Attempts 528 345
Rushing Yards 2,254 885
Rushing Touchdowns 33 18
Discussion from...

Side-By-Side: Career statistics for Baylor's Charlie Brewer & Robert Griffin III

7,705 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by chorne68
chorne68
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RGIII had a much better offensive coach and coordinator. Had Charlie had CAB as his coach and that scheme, he would be much closer. I am not saying he is as good or better than RGIII but he was hindered by an inferior system. I hope he is All American this year and beats all the quarterback records.
Timbear
Griffin didn't play 4 full years.
historian
Fascinating stats. I had heard some of this before but this was the first time I had seen all of it together. Thanks!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Beaneater
Similar? Not so fast my friend. Love Charlie. Glad he's our guy. But he is not going to catch RG3. Not even close.

But here's what he needs in SIX games to get there:

170 completions (28.3/game--not attempts but completions)
2600 yards passing (433/game)
25 pass TDs (4/game--if he's throwing for 433, he probably gets this)
1350 yards rushing (225/game)
15 rush TDs (2.5/game--again if he's running for 225, he probably gets this too)
ZERO ints

Would love to see it happen, but not holding my breath.
wuzzybear
Hey I just want Charlie to make it through ONE season without a concussion. If he has a couple of big hits early he might not last the season. He got slobberknocked last year way way too much. I don't really care what his stats are as long he goes out a winner. Who was the worst QB ever to win a Super Bowl? Was it Trent Dilfer or Rex Grossman?

Charlie has had better defense than RGIII ever had and some of Roberts stats came from a "basketball on grass" offense that Briles came to Waco with and some was just Robert being dynamic. They are both tough-minded but Robert blew his NFL success chances trying to take on NFL linebackers, but you can only teach a thoroughbred so much and the rest is instinct. That's a problem in the NFL.

Got off topic but such is a posters prerogative.
chorne68
Beaneater said:

Similar? Not so fast my friend. Love Charlie. Glad he's our guy. But he is not going to catch RG3. Not even close.

15 rush TDs (2.5/game--again if he's running for 225, he probably gets this too)
ZERO ints

It is not 6 games...it is career stats. He has a full season...I hope.
historian
Beaneater said:

ZERO ints

Why does this have to happen in 6 games instead of 12 or 13? There is no way he will do all of this in 6 games (some maybe, but not all). If the numbers were adjusted to reflect a full season, he might be able to achieve most or all of those goals.
aledocrow
Charlie looks pretty respectable in the comparison. I would love to see Petty in the comparison too, perhaps normalizing for number of games played or just looking at the stats for the most recent 2 years of play for each.
historian
Bryce Petty had amazing stats in 2013 and very good ones in 2014. I still find it amazing that in 2013 he had only 3 INT's for the entire season.
Beaneater
RG3 played 41 games. Charlie has played 35. 41-35=6.
chorne68
Beaneater said:

RG3 played 41 games. Charlie has played 35. 41-35=6.
It does not matter how many games. Career stats are career stats. I hope he leads in many career stats. That would mean that we did pretty well this year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.