Story Poster
Baylor Football

JJ Joe discusses the positives of Baylor's loss to WVU

October 6, 2020

Former Baylor QB JJ Joe joined SicEm365 Radio on Monday to reflect on Baylor's loss to West Virginia in Morgantown. 

Football
Sponsored by

JJ Joe discusses the positives of Baylor's loss to WVU

3,790 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JJoe13
Timbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Easy, D is Big 12 ready, Fedora is terrible, and absolutely not as advertised. He's old and he's not changing. Retire Charlie. He's been good at Baylor. It's ok to say.
JJoe13
Timbear said:

Easy, D is Big 12 ready, Fedora is terrible, and absolutely not as advertised. He's old and he's not changing. Retire Charlie. He's been good at Baylor. It's ok to say.
TimBear a little premature my man....be patient.....No Spring..Guys out due to Covid.....gotta be patient....this guy is not out of touch....and Charlie didn't all of a sudden forget how to play QB.
BluesBear
Sorry but the No Spring excuse is lame. Everyone had No Spring. Coaches in contact with players - every team had the same issue to overcome. Charlie is holding on the ball too damn long. Fedora needs to wise up - get the ball in play makers hands....
Timbear
JJ, I love you man. Saw every home game you played. Big fan. I hope you're right.
RegentCoverup
JJoe13 said:

Timbear said:

TimBear a little premature my man....be patient.....No Spring..Guys out due to Covid.....gotta be patient....this guy is not out of touch....and Charlie didn't all of a sudden forget how to play QB.

Thanks for spreading the good word, got a lot of fans that don't understand that having players come in as Freshman and go straight to playing time is sometimes an indicator of depth/quality issues.

Thanks for staying involved JJ, it was an honor to share a degree with ya man.
JJoe13
TrustTheProcess said:

Sorry but the No Spring excuse is lame. Everyone had No Spring. Coaches in contact with players - every team had the same issue to overcome. Charlie is holding on the ball too damn long. Fedora needs to wise up - get the ball in play makers hands....
@TrustTheProcess....ok...how can I put this...Let me ask this.....did you play H/S ball? or maybe you played H/S & College Ball? Well, let me say this....my intuition tells me that either you didn't play H/S or College FB or if you did....you're busting my chops, right?

Let me start here....You are absolutely correct that it can be a lame excuse...but...ONLY if your team is operating in the same or very similar offensive system as the year prior. The change for this offense was pretty drastic, going from the mixed approach of Nixon, Thomas and Rhule to Fedora's system. The importance of Spring can't be overstated...here's the issue..not only does spring allow a coach to see how quickly his new team is absorbing the information (i.e. by actually seeing them take the Film/Zoom study onto the actual practice field); the coach actually gets first hand experience against a 'Live' Defense to see what his players within his system do best. Now....getting beyond that....we then have COVID issues with guys having to quarantine for 10 to 14 days during Fall Camp. Believe it or not, I personally know that Baylor, like alot of teams, lost key players during Fall Camp for contact tracing reasons....that further exacerbated the problem, because you have a new Offensive System, You didn't have a Spring to actually test the system w/ this group, and you get to Fall Camp and key guys have to sit out for 2 weeks during a key juncture in the Install Process.

Now, TrustTheProcess we can't look across the street at OU, UT, even TCU, or others and compare their early season offensive production to ours......These teams are either running the same offensive system as last year or one that is very close to what they did in 2019 (i.e. UT has a new OC, but Herman is still there and the system is basically the same one Sam has run, eventhough Yurich is a new OC)

The first game against KU...Charlie didn't hold the ball as much but not much was required of him in that game....The 2nd game,,, yes he held onto it some but you need to look at the all 22, alot of times we just weren't getting separation, and then there were others where you are right, he held it. However, we had several 2nd or 3rd and long situations which made things worse.

In looking at this offense, I think Fedora knows exactly who the playmakers are and he's trying to get the ball to them. WVU won upfront. I know what many will say in their analysis, but trust me....WVU won the game upfront not in the Secondary. Their Secondary was a beneficiary of their DL play...and the funny thing is their DL knew our guys couldn't block them, and they told them about it last year, and I'm sure they told them to their face again a couple of weekends ago.

There is plenty of hope, if and when, we can get back to football. I don't think we'll see another NT like Darius Stills who set the table for DL. I believe that Coach Fedora has a better handle on what Charlie does best. The question to me is which of our WRs will take their game to the next level......Coach Fedora has to help them....right now they seem to be thinking and playing...instead of just playing......so that takes me back to the spring....if these guys had those 10 to 15 practices against the BU defense (live)...and trust me when I say going against your defense is the toughest 'D' you'll face....why? because they know everything you're trying to do and giving up a TD in spring practice is no biggie, so everything is compact and tough....We missed that and that means Development Delayed my friend.....That's why I believe, once we get beyond all of this mess........you'll begin to see improvement in weeks 4 and 5...problem is....we're playing 9 games instead of 12....so instead of that being the first quarter of the season its mid season....Is What it Is!

But like your moniker "Trust the Process" i'm surprised that you so quickly dismiss the importance of "Spring Practice" as part of the Process!! Come on Now......
Timbear
JJ, the big problem is that we don't see any improvement on O from Nixon to Fedora. In fact, Nixon never went 2 games without taking some shots downfield. Many of us believe that a quicker faster QB with a stronger arm would be an improvement even if there's an experience gap.
BearConscious
Is it possible to have immediate offensive improvement with an entire new staff, new offensive scheme, and new starting QB? Did anyone watch Ole MIss hang half a hundred on Alabama Saturday?
JJoe13
it's possible....Ole Miss we know that offense....Lebby got'em playing fast but you know he's smart....as a Briles disciple...dude probably doesn't have a playbook....that offense was simple....focus on playing fast....Fedora's is different....which is why I wrote in my article last week that he needs to focus on 20 plays...no more no less.....until his guys can run those....I bet Lebby has 15 plays maybe 20 and he it going.

One thing i will say.....I think the SEC did it right.....those dude's were in Camp from probably late July / 1st Week of Aug...and knew that their first game would be What Sept 26th....no game planning, no getting in game mode giving them all of August and most of September to do what....practice and focus on themselves......

the Big 12 began having to game plan what.....Baylor was in game plan mode for the La Tech game (cancelled)...then the UofH game....cancelled.....game plan week and practice is totally different than what i call 'Camp or Spring Practice'...one is focused on Install and Development......the other is focused on Game Planning (less development.....and install is focused on what will work against the upcoming opponent).

its possible....but unfortunately Fedora has a playbook that i think needs to be culled back....... Good example...good example....which is why I like Briles' system....focused on guys playing fast and thinking less!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.