Story Poster
Baylor Football

GameDay Thread: Baylor (1-2) looks to rebound against TCU (1-3)

October 30, 2020

Depth Chart | Class Scholarship Breakdown | Schedule | Big 12 Standings | Roster

With three weeks between games, Baylor returns to action with a home contest against the TCU Horned Frogs on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. CT in a game that will be aired on ESPN2. 

Baylor vs. TCU Primer

For the first time in 2020, Baylor will enter play a football game without significant absences from the starting line up and a large number of missing players from the depth chart. The Bears will also take the field with a full week of practice and game prep for the first time this season the entirety of the roster included. 

Most specifically, Baylor will see the return of starting left tackle Connor Galvin and starting center Xavier Newman who did not participate in a loss the Longhorns last Saturday. 

Baylor opened the season against Kansas without the services of current starting right guard Jake Burton and starting right tackle Blake Bedier as well as Newman who missed the game because of suspension. 

BU (1-2) enters the game with with a two-game losing streak, both of which came on the road at West Virginia in double overtime, 27-21, and at Texas last weekend, 27-16.

TCU (1-3) travels to waco with a two-game losing streak of their own with losses to Kansas State and Oklahoma that followed a 33-31 victory over Texas. The Horned Frogs also fell to Iowa State in their first game of the season. 

Baylor looks past drama of early week, strings together best week of practies

Looking back at this past weekend it’s fair to say Baylor football and its fanbase ran a gamut of emotions. There was the high of an official return to play, followed quickly by doubts and curiosity over how a team fresh off three weeks of a COVID outbreak would actually perform.

By Saturday evening, after a 27-16 loss to Texas, there was frustration and disappointment. 

It was Sunday evening, however, that provided the biggest jolt when SicEm365 reported running backs John Lovett and Trestan Ebner had plans to opt-out the remainder of the season.

SicEm365
John Lovett has led Baylor in rushing each of the previous three seasons.

This wasn’t just two random names on the roster. These were two of Baylor’s better players, and just as importantly, they were seniors, leaders and single-digit recipients. From day one as part of the 2017 recruiting class, Lovett and Ebner have played crucial roles in Baylor’s rise back from a time darkened by scandal, which is why the duo potentially leaving in this fashion, and before finishing what they started, came as such a shock. 

Thankfully, cooler heads prevailed and some honest, open communication led to both players sticking with the team, as Dave Aranda announced during Monday’s Big 12 teleconference.

“They’re both with us and we’re expecting them to play,” Aranda said. “I think it just speaks to the time that we’re in. Guys are dealing with a lot off the field and as coaches, we’re here for our players. It’s the most important thing for me and our staff." 

The trials and tribulations of this season have been well-documented.

Baylor has been hit with more than its fair share of setbacks and delays, only compounding the struggles for a team trying to learn a different way of doing things. While Aranda’s words came across positively towards his running back duo, that still left the room to wonder about how the rest of the team felt and what potential ramifications could have been created within the locker room. 

Linebacker Terrel Bernard arrived in Waco along with Lovett and Ebner, Charlie Brewer, and others as members of Matt Rhule’s first recruiting class. He knows what it’s like to go from 1-11 to 11-3 as well as anyone. On Wednesday, the team’s leader in sacks, tackles and tackles for loss, gave his thoughts on what unfolded earlier this week.

“I think really, it’s, nobody’s perfect,” Bernard said. “That’s the main thing. Tensions run high, especially when things aren’t going how we want and we’re not winning. But I think those guys have come back and we all had meetings, we’ve had full team meetings, individual meetings, and they’ve explained their side.” 

Newcomer Dillon Doyle said initially there was some confusion amongst the team when the original news broke on Sunday, but the matter had been addressed.

“Talking to those guys, there were personal things we hadn’t considered, and we’ve talked about it, moved on from it,” the Iowa transfer said Wednesday afternoon. 

Bernard also relayed his feelings after hearing from both players.

“They kind of came out and said what they were thinking and what happened and where they were wrong,” Bernard said. “And you know, we all came back and we all came together from it. I think it’s going to push us into this week and I know everybody’s put that behind us and we’re ready to go.” 

In fact, that push may already be occurring, as the team prepares to take their home field for the first time in over a month on Saturday versus rival TCU. 

“I think, as a team, we probably had our best practice of the year on Tuesday”, Doyle revealed. “It was a physical practice with a lot of energy. We term Tuesdays, ‘Competition Tuesdays’, and I think it was just that.

“We brought the energy and it was a lot of fun.” 

Ben Queen-USA TODAY Sports
Terrel Bernard is averaging 13.3 tackles per game with 5.5 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks and one interceptions this season.

Doyle wasn’t alone in feeling that way as Bernard later echoed similar sentiments.

“Just the energy that we had on offense and defense. We came out there and it was like from the first snap, it was just competition,” Bernard said. “For us, it's a chance to compete and we're not really worried about anything else but making each other better. And that’s kind of what we came out there and did.” 

With reports in SicEm365’s Premium section that Wednesday’s practice was equally successful, it appears this team is reacting well so far to another bump in an already rocky road.

“You know, we’re moving on to TCU now,” Doyle said ahead of his first rivalry game against the Frogs. “It’s not about one guy and we’re focused on getting better as a team. I think we did that yesterday, which is our biggest priority.” 

Whether those practices translate into a meaningful win remains to be seen, but the Bears will also be moving forward with Lovett and Ebner in tow. 

"They both love our team, they love their teammates and we’re excited about our next opportunity here with TCU", said head coach Dave Aranda. 

Baylor vs. TCU Prediction

Written by Sam Bradshaw (S11)

Prediction?

Neither team is clicking on offense.   Baylor has been a revolving door of lineups and TCU has been spotty on the offensive line with a passing game that really hasn’t done much when an opponent doesn’t bust coverages or play prevent.   Neither team figures to have a big day offensively going against solid defenses with good personnel.

This is the third game in a row where Baylor probably loses one where they’d likely win if they had a similar amount of practice reps and conditioning.   TCU protects the ball, has a great kicking game and in a game where either team has skill guys who can take it the distance the Frogs get one more big play as Baylor’s lack of practice either costs Baylor a score or gives one away.

TCU 20, Baylor 13

Discussion from...

GameDay Thread: Baylor (1-2) looks to rebound against TCU (1-3)

50,284 Views | 672 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BUBear24
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just win Bears!
jdkingbear
Score is abour right, but it will be reversed. BU 20, Froggies 13.

Take it to the bank.
jdkingbear
william
lomers with the tip.

- BUmma

go bears!
IowaBear
Woke up feeling optimistic! Let's get to work Bears!! Get a W and some momentum headed to Ames next week
BaylorBearGuy24
We have a tradition of watching BU pep rallies every game day mornin, and based on our dogs enthusiasm this morning... The Bears are gonna be th Bears we know and miss... Froggie road kill today.. as long as the offense shows up and someone else does the play calling... Sic 'Em Bears!!!
Brad
jdrs
Good job Defense! Come on Charlie! Prove us wrong!
Jorkel
Welcome back Lovett
9b1deb4d-3b7d-4bad-9bdd-2
could be worse. he could be our HC
Jorkel
And welcome back Ebner
gobears20
Staff
First play holding
IowaBear
I give up on the offense this is embarrassing
jdrs
Whelp. Not great start.
JumboShrimper
And welcome back Fedora.
Loser is worst team in Texas?
PartyBear
It is the OL clearly. I'm thinking Rhule didn't leave us in that great of shape on offense. It all starts with the OL on offense unless the QB is terrible which is not the case.
Jorkel
Both running backs got smacked on that drive.
coldhardtruth
clubhi said:

Rice, UTEP, etc say hello.
You best remember me my friend
I am the cold hard truth
-George Jones
Jorkel
clubhi said:

Texas State isn't very good
IowaBear
PartyBear said:

It is the OL clearly. I'm thinking Rhule didn't leave us in that great of shape on offense.

Or the fact we literally throw the ball 5 yards backwards at least once a drive. Also I'm just going to say it Xavier Newmsn straight up sucks
BaylorBearGuy24
Lack of practise, lack of starters because of covid, lack of an OC who knows how to call plays and utilize what he has... Pathetic!!!
Brad
gobears20
Staff
And some of these plays are sooo slow it's easy for the defense to read what is going on
Jorkel said:

clubhi said:

I guess we will find out in our bowl game
you take away their numbers because they literally quit a few days ago
jdrs
Ugh.
IowaBear
Let's quit the talk of having a good defense. This team is garbage
jdrs
Not optimistic. Really hope I am wrong
Jorkel
clubhi said:

Jorkel said:

clubhi said:

I guess we will find out in our bowl game

If we get invited to a bowl game.
JXL
Not an auspicious start.
BUbackerinET
NOT a good start at all, losing to Froggie would be a disaster...
How many coaching careers did Joe Burrow make last year?
Stefano DiMera
PartyBear blaming our offensive ineptitude this year on Rhule...got it...
Dia del DougO
This is not the start we were looking for.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
BaylorBearGuy24
And what happened to Fedora promising an upbeat, quick tempo offense? We need the upbeat offense we had under Briles, with the toughness, hard work and doing things the right way, under Rhule .... This is gonna be a long, hard, frustrating season...
Brad
PartyBear
He left us with great talent on the oL stefano? That is your contention?
IowaBear
We haven't scored A TD in regulation against TCU since 17. Odds are that TD was massive

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.