Story Poster
Photo by Baylor Football
Baylor Football

Exclusive: Dave Aranda talks his apology to the team, OL play and his personality

November 2, 2020

In this weekly interview with David Smoak, Baylor head coach Dave Aranda discussed a variety of topics on SicEm365 Radio. 

Discussion from...

Exclusive: Dave Aranda talks his apology to the team, OL play and his personality

6,749 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Golden Helmet
Timbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does it seem like Aranda's apologizing a lot these days. Maybe he can apologize again for not getting the team motivated and ready to play when the game starts. Maybe he thinks it shows character to take blame, but it's making him look incompetent as a HC.
BayouCity
Timbear said:

Does it seem like Aranda's apologizing a lot these days. Maybe he can apologize again for not getting the team motivated and ready to play when the game starts. Maybe he thinks it shows character to take blame, but it's making him look incompetent as a HC.

Did you forget how much Rhule had to apologize in his first year? Give the guy a break. I know he inherited much more than Rhule but he also has more interruptions and distractions than Rhule did.
IowaBear
BayouCity said:

Timbear said:

Did you forget how much Rhule had to apologize in his first year? Give the guy a break. I know he inherited much more than Rhule but he also has more interruptions and distractions than Rhule did.

Rhule took over after one of bigger scandals in recent history.... so no he doesn't have more distractions. Aranda has had to deal with COVID
Saddle Up!
I must be listening to a different interview than some of you guys. The primary focus of the discussion on apologizing was Ebner, one of the two guys who caused the huge drama and distraction last week, stepping up and telling Aranda that the team owed him an apology. That's the leadership of a single-digit player.
Golden Helmet
All of you non-athletes get so fired up about motivation and motivational speeches....

Those are all fine and dandy until you get hit in the mouth....then the battle is on...and speeches are forgotten real quick.

Preparation is the key...practice intensity and focus on the game plan gives you a chance to win.

Timbear
Hey, Gold Helmet , what makes you think I'm a non athlete? I played 4 sports throughout school. If I had a coach that kept apologizing, I would think he's either soft or weak. Aranda seems too nice and doesn't seem to be challenging the team and getting tough and leading this team like he needs to. He seems reluctant to really lead his coaches and challenge them to do better. Who knows, but it's an observation that he lacks confidence at this point.
BayouCity
Timbear said:

Hey, Gold Helmet , what makes you think I'm a non athlete? I played 4 sports throughout school. If I had a coach that kept apologizing, I would think he's either soft or weak. Aranda seems too nice and doesn't seem to be challenging the team and getting tough and leading this team like he needs to. He seems reluctant to really lead his coaches and challenge them to do better. Who knows, but it's an observation that he lacks confidence at this point.

Pretty bold statement there. I'm assuming you've spent considerable time around him and the team to arrive at that conclusion. Oh wait, you said "seems" a bunch of times. Never mind.
timtollison
Baylor Nation just wants to win Coach...HANG TOUGH,YOU CAN DO THIS!! SIC EM BEARS!!!!!
Timbear
Bayou, all of us are forming opinions and judgements on what we see. After 3 real games, it's my opinion that my judgements are correct, so far. Hopefully, Saturday will be a win.
Green&GoldStandard
IowaBear said:

BayouCity said:

Timbear said:

Rhule took over after one of bigger scandals in recent history.... so no he doesn't have more distractions. Aranda has had to deal with COVID

Rhule never recruited O-linemen or hired a real OL coach. It's showing this season more than the last three.
KIA
Timbear said:

I felt the same way when Rhule was interviewed and said, "I told the guys I was proud of them", after the Liberty loss.

2 years later, Rhule had turned our team into an overachieving success story.

This year, we aren't overachieving. But I like this staff and hope to see improvement.
Green&GoldStandard
KIA said:

Timbear said:

I felt the same way when Rhule was interviewed and said, "I told the guys I was proud of them", after the Liberty loss.

2 years later, Rhule had turned our team into an overachieving success story.

This year, we aren't overachieving. But I like this staff and hope to see improvement.

Too bad we don't have cupcakes on this season's schedule not named Kansas
Stemperford
That's leadership.
BUBear24
Green&GoldStandard said:

IowaBear said:

BayouCity said:

Timbear said:

Rhule never recruited O-linemen or hired a real OL coach. It's showing this season more than the last three.
I always wonder how much that hip injury to George Deleone hurt us. We should've gone right away and gotten another OL coach. Instead we slid Bell in there, and tried to do a weird duo combo with George and Bell.
Golden Helmet
I attended some practices which you dills obviously did not....

George was out there - sitting in a chair - still coaching and observing most of the time....and I can tell you from having coached O line for 5 years - Bell didn't do a bad job....

We played in the GD Sugar Bowl for gods sake....you guys just need something to ***** about.....

BUBear24
Golden Helmet said:

I attended some practices which you dills obviously did not....

George was out there - sitting in a chair - still coaching and observing most of the time....and I can tell you from having coached O line for 5 years - Bell didn't do a bad job....

We played in the GD Sugar Bowl for gods sake....you guys just need something to ***** about.....

Woah I'm not *****ing bud I'm just adding to the comment you made about needing better OL play. I didn't say Bell did a terrible job or anything, but I was merely pointing out I was surprised they didn't go find a coach that's been doing OL for most of their career.
Reverend
Did he just wake up? Ambien hasn't worn off yet?

I've never heard such a lack of energy.
BaylorRocks
Timbear said:

Bayou, all of us are forming opinions and judgements on what we see. After 3 real games, it's my opinion that my judgements are correct, so far. Hopefully, Saturday will be a win.
"Hope" is NEVER a strategy. When/If you ever start hearing a coach (or any leader of a team - coach, player or otherwise) use that term, you know you are in trouble and have the wrong guy in the job.
DanaDane
Golden Helmet said:

All of you non-athletes get so fired up about motivation and motivational speeches....

Those are all fine and dandy until you get hit in the mouth....then the battle is on...and speeches are forgotten real quick.

Preparation is the key...practice intensity and focus on the game plan gives you a chance to win.

Apparently he needs some help with the preparation too since we've only beaten the perennial conference doormat.
Golden Helmet
Now that may very well be a true statement.

Good job.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.