Football
Sponsored by

Hearing from a fairly reliable source that Tuesday is Herman's termination date

12,179 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Stefano DiMera
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When the two teams play, one will almost always be in white jerseys.
gobears20
Staff
If Texas was smart they would go after Matt Campbell at ISU.
Courtesy_Flush
Not happening with 2 games left plus bowl game. There is no point doing it before season is over.
Media Bear
Singletary63 said:

Told that the Houston alums have already committed $10mm per year to hire Urban.
Said that the A.D. and alums were done with Herman after the Eyes of Texas debacle.
We should find out real soon how this plays out but whether it is Tuesday or some other date Herman is gone!
That I can almost take to the bank.
Very identical stories (with varying $$$ depending on contract) have been told in past years on Baylor message boards -- and well ahead of the actual termination (as in multiple years) -- concerning the departure of Mack Brown, Charlie Strong ... and now Tom Herman.

References to "the Houston alums" ... being done with the coach after (name wheels-off event or key loss here -- there are many from which to choose) ... and being able to take said information "to the bank" (or almost "to the bank") ... seem to be commonalities with these tales as they have surfaced and blossomed o'er the years.

Oh well. At least we are keeping a proud tradition alive in predicting the fate of UT's coach well -- and I mean WELL -- before the actual events occur.
Hob Howelll
Urban Meyer at Texas would concern me. He would turn them into a true winner. Not sure why he'd want to go there though...not that it's a bad gig. He has a very Cush job right now where he doesn't really have to answer to entitled donors
Baylor University class of 2014
RR/BV
Asked Grant Teaff about Urban Myer. He said he did not like him. Interesting
Golden Helmet
Fake News....
PartyBear
I guess we will know tomorrow if this is real or internet bs. It seems to me that if a date of this Tuesday leaked, they would have just gone ahead and made their move at least on the firing part.
Robert Wilson
The Hound said:

Urban Meyer at Texas would concern me. He would turn them into a true winner. Not sure why he'd want to go there though...not that it's a bad gig. He has a very Cush job right now where he doesn't really have to answer to entitled donors
Urban would be a beast for the 2-3 years before his stress-induced illnesses took him out again.
Saddle Up!
RR/BV said:

I'm not doubting your word, but did you happen to ask if he minded if you posted this on an open internet forum?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
RR/BV said:

Really? Might have been more interesting had you asked him about Art Briles.

I am sure Urban is devastated.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
BayouCity
historian said:

When the two teams play, one will always be in white.
Well that's not true.
blackie
RR/BV said:

Had Myer been at Baylor in 2015 he would have been worse than what some were claiming Briles to be. He would have allowed anything to occur and covered up as long as it meant a win. Only Jimbo Fisher can rival him in that regard.
gobears20
Staff

No pressure on Herman at all lol
TeamPlayer
So Texas has lost a 2 point game to TCU where they fumbled on 1st and goal at the 1. A 4OT game to OU. And a 3 point game to a nearly Top 10 Iowa State.

Yes they got lucky in Lubbock, and they had higher hopes for this year, but firing for the above seems punitive given the current circumstances. Assembling a staff during a winter lockdown seems like a really tough task as well. Urban Meyer is pushing 60 and has health issues. Big mistake to fire Herman, and bigger mistake to hire Urban. Not the year to do it.
historian
Corrected. Most of the time anyway.

Isn't there an NCAA rule about such things?
sombear
TeamPlayer said:

So Texas has lost a 2 point game to TCU where they fumbled on 1st and goal at the 1. A 4OT game to OU. And a 3 point game to a nearly Top 10 Iowa State.

Yes they got lucky in Lubbock, and they had higher hopes for this year, but firing for the above seems punitive given the current circumstances. Assembling a staff during a winter lockdown seems like a really tough task as well. Urban Meyer is pushing 60 and has health issues. Big mistake to fire Herman, and bigger mistake to hire Urban. Not the year to do it.
Lucky with refs against OSU and WVU also, but I do see your point.
historian
TeamPlayer said:

But we are talking about Texas. The love to make big mistakes!
Singletary63
TeamPlayer.....when your coach is more worried about the music played at practice, treats many like dog meat, and has lost the respect of the team leadership..............as they say Herman is a DEAD MAN WALKING and he knows the end is upon him. Sooner than later is the talk from some in the know around these parts!
Singletary63
boognish_bear
BU82EX
This from the Austin news: "Retired former college football player and coach Urban Meyers might have his eye on Austin. In an Austonia exclusive, Meyer's wife, Shelley, recently visited Austin to assess real estate, possibly signaling a Longhorn football shift of power." Same thing happened when Charlie Strong was on the hot seat except it was Nick Saban's wife.

RD2 - I can see why you disrespect Grant Teaff and favor guys like Meyer. He will win at all cost and that seems to suit you over character of the University and players. Perhaps you should head down to Austin and bother them with your drivel if they hire him. Seems your kinda guy. And no, I'm not in favor of selling the soul of my University to be a college football powerhouse. I attended BU because of its values, not because of its football team's win-loss record. I continue to doubt you've ever set foot in a BU classroom, but if you did and you did so on the premise that it was because of the football team, then you are folly. $100 says your reply has something to do with the BOR!!!
Michibear
Since it is Giving Tuesday, how does one donate to the "Save Tom Herman at UT" fund?

Asking for a Baylor friend.
PartyBear
Now it is looking like the same typical rumor at least on the Meyer front. I think he would take it in a heartbeat if offered. I'm just not sure they would offer him even if they decide to have an opening. I would guess that if there was an opening the most realistic thing that may happen is that Texas and Michigan get into a bidding war for Fickel.
BayouCity
historian said:

Corrected. Most of the time anyway.

Isn't there an NCAA rule about such things?
I think the teams just have to agree on it before the game - not sure if they have to get it passed through the NCAA.

Did you see the Oregon/Oregon State game last week? Highlighter yellow vs. safety vest orange. It was quite a spectacle.
Mr Tulip
I believe that the rule is just that (a) the home team gets first pick as to what their jerseys will be and (b) the jerseys have to be non-similar.

Most schools choose to wear their colors at home. By default, that leaves the visitors in a different jersey. White is an easy color to ensure that you're not similar, so most schools travel with white styled away jerseys.
boognish_bear
PartyBear said:

Now it is looking like the same typical rumor at least on the Meyer front. I think he would take it in a heartbeat if offered. I'm just not sure they would offer him even if they decide to have an opening. I would guess that if there was an opening the most realistic thing that may happen is that Texas and Michigan get into a bidding war for Fickel.

Why do you think they would not have interest in Meyer?
Aliceinbubbleland
Quote:

RD2 - I can see why you disrespect Grant Teaff and favor guys like Meyer. He will win at all cost and that seems to suit you over character of the University and players.

People who don't care whether you win or lose generally lose and then they try and disrespect a guy like Meyer who is a winner. I always find it amusing we have graduates who hold the school high and mighty while looking down their noses at others yet in light of our history the last five years OUTSIDE of ATHLETICS.
PartyBear
boognish_bear said:

PartyBear said:

His covering up of domestic abuse at Ohio St which got him fired there basically but was packaged as choosing to retire due to health at the end of the season.
boognish_bear
PartyBear said:

boognish_bear said:

PartyBear said:

His covering up of domestic abuse at Ohio St which got him fired there basically but was packaged as choosing to retire due to health at the end of the season.

I think his track record of player domestic violence issues was even worse at Florida....but I don't think either of the issues at Florida or Ohio State would be the reason UT would not pursue him.
BU82EX
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Quote:

RD2 - I can see why you disrespect Grant Teaff and favor guys like Meyer. He will win at all cost and that seems to suit you over character of the University and players.

People who don't care whether you win or lose generally lose and then they try and disrespect a guy like Meyer who is a winner. I always find it amusing we have graduates who hold the school high and mighty while looking down their noses at others yet in light of our history the last five years OUTSIDE of ATHLETICS.

Sorry, not sure I fall into the "don't care whether you win or lose" bucket. I do believe you can win and do so with integrity. And if I had to choose winning at the cost of integrity then call me a loser! Drew and Mulkey have done it correctly so why can't football? It may take a little longer, but Drew certainly has taken his licks along the way and done pretty well. Teaff won with integrity just not as often as all of us would like. But when he was coach I never had to apologize for wearing the green and gold.
Pecos 45
My viewpoint is that Urban Meyer will turn down the UT job because of his health, his good salary at Fox Sports and his wife.
She doesn't want him to have another aneurysm.
And coaching in Austin will bring that on.

But looking at this as a semi-neutral observer, I don't think they should be canning Herman in his third season, with a winning record. His numbers aren't Charlie Strong level, and he has had the misfortune of coaching aggressively, without being able to convert. (4th down in particular)

I do not think he is a bad coach, but 7-3, or 8-4 will get you fired in Austin.

UT's biggest issue has been that they don't get the level of play from their QBs that Tech, ISU, TCU and Baylor has enjoyed since Mack Brown left.
Not seeing a Heisman candidate in the past 15 years, whereas Baylor had RGIII, Tech had Mahomes and OU had Baker Mayfield.
IMHO, they are a QB away from challenging for the national title, but luck is a hard thing to capture.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Jorkel
Pecos 45 said:

My viewpoint is that Urban Meyer will turn down the UT job because of his health, his good salary at Fox Sports and his wife.

But looking at this as a semi-neutral observer, I don't think they should be canning Herman in his third season, with a winning record. His numbers aren't Charlie Strong level, and he has had the misfortune of coaching aggressively, without being able to convert. (4th down in particular)

UT's biggest issue has been that they don't get the level of play from their QBs that Tech, ISU, TCU and Baylor has enjoyed since Mack Brown left.
Not seeing a Heisman candidate in the past 15 years, whereas Baylor had RGIII, Tech had Mahomes and OU had Baker Mayfield.
IMHO, they are a QB away from challenging for the national title, but luck is a hard thing to capture.

10 years sure but 15 years they did have Colt McCoy and he was a great college QB and Heisman runner up.
PartyBear
I think he is in his 4th year but your point is a good one.

Well I dont see it now but I thought there was a post saying he should not be fired after year 3.
Mr Tulip
Pecos 45 said:

Of course, I'm a Texas fan. I could have written this post, though.

Texas is unlike any other job. There are very few candidates with experience being successful on that stage. The ones who have it are legends who stay at their school until they're played out.

Any other coach has to learn on the job. Mack Brown won championships and played for more, but he started out getting blasted by KSU, OU, and others. Learning means mistakes, and mistakes mean losses. The time line to success is simply longer than most fans understand.

As college football fans, we have a hard time understanding that this was a garbage year. It wasn't typical. The stuff that usually happens between March and September just didn't happen. Those of us who replaced coaching staffs (staves?) didn't get a chance to work face to face with players. We went into a season where normal game week routines were disrupted, and even canceled.

It's not appropriate to make multi-million dollar, program changing decisions based solely on the results of this year. If Texas fired Tom Herman (not totally undeserved), it better be because they have an all but inked commitment from no one other than Urban Meyer in hand.
RegentCoverup
Hiring Meyer will be controversial.

It will effectively silence ESPN using UT as a mouthpiece for their SJW efforts.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.