Football
Sponsored by

Sun Bowl canceled

2,951 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Green&GoldStandard
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Due to covid concerns
Played every year since 1935
Forest Bueller_bf
gobears20 said:

Due to covid concerns
Played every year since 1935
In El Paso, I sure understand.
ABC BEAR
Too bad. The fans won't be able to cross into Juarez and catch anything either.
MrGolfguy
Baylor should offer to move it to McLane, better option than to cancel it outright. A few years back Baylor let Sam Houston play a game in McLane when their field was flooded after a hurricane - so this wouldn't be the first time.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
ABC BEAR said:

Don't tempt Tech
Brian Ethridge
Staff
MrGolfguy said:

Baylor should offer to move it to McLane, better option than to cancel it outright. A few years back Baylor let Sam Houston play a game in McLane when their field was flooded after a hurricane - so this wouldn't be the first time.
Agreed.

New Mexico has moved to Frisco
Stranger
Can anybody tell me who played in the very first Sun Bowl game? BTW, the Sun Bowl is second only to the Rose Bowl.
I'm a Bearbacker
Robert Wilson
MrGolfguy said:

I love that idea
MrGolfguy
Stranger said:

Can anybody tell me who played in the very first Sun Bowl game?
El Paso High vs Ranger High
OsoCoreyell
MrGolfguy said:

Stranger said:

Bremond?
ABC BEAR
Brian Ethridge said:

ABC BEAR said:

Don't tempt Tech
Yeah, I had a co-worker who went down there and got crabs in his mustache.....in a movie theatre.
Bexar Pitts
Did he manage to sell that to his wife/girlfriend? :-)
Bexar Pitts
MrGolfguy said:

Stranger said:

Mingus vs Putnam
Goldigger
Dime Box v Levelland
Stranger
MrGolfguy said:

Stranger said:

Actually it was the El Paso high school all-stars from several high schools defeating Ranger in a close game. Ranger was one of the power house teams in Texas in those days. It's my hometown and I knew probably a dozen guys that played on the team. In 1985, the fiftieth anniversary, CBS Sports hosted about six players of that Ranger team and Pat Summerall honored them on tv at halftime. After that first year they started inviting college teams.

My Dad said that the town of Ranger chartered an entire train of fans for the trip to El Paso. The Sun Bowl trophy with all the teams in the history of the game is on a glass case as you enter the front door of the El Paso Airport.
I'm a Bearbacker
Stranger
Bexar Pitts said:

MrGolfguy said:

Stranger said:

Mingus vs Putnam

The Ranger boys celebrated in Mingus after the game.
I'm a Bearbacker
Bexar Pitts
Stranger said:

Bexar Pitts said:

MrGolfguy said:

Stranger said:

Mingus vs Putnam

The Ranger boys celebrated in Mingus after the game.
I'll bet they did! Didn't everybody within 100 miles kick up their heels in Mingus? :-) Tradition carried on since the days of the Great Western Trail cattle drives back in the Glory Days! Great story about Ranger playing the first game. Those events are jewels in the crown of America, and I hope they are cherished and never forgotten. Thanks for sharing!
TXBEAR_bf
I lived in EP from age 5 until I went to Baylor. All my family is from Central Texas, so I kind of got the hose job. It's actually a pretty great atmosphere for a bowl game. Historically, the city has turned out pretty solid numbers for attendance and they treat the teams well. It wouldn't be in my first 30-40 cities to visit for a bowl game, but as a kid I really liked going as it was the only real college football we had.
DanaDane
Has the Sun Bowl been meaningful since, let's say, 1978?
TXBEAR_bf
I would say the 92 game was for Baylor fans. Meaningful, probably not, but there have definitely been some good games and some big time players in it. Again, for those that grew up in west Texas it was always something to look forward to. Plus Vern always called the game so that was a plus.
beardoc
Old300 and I took our families (wives and 5 boys) to the 92 game. Had a great time, stayed at the team hotel, and the kids got to play video games with the players, hang out with them and just chill.
br53
Brian Ethridge said:

ABC BEAR said:

Don't tempt Tech

Tech fans would bring new diseases to Juarez.
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
Robert Wilson
DanaDane said:

The 1992 Sun Bowl was damn sure meaningful.
Shakesbear
Robert Wilson said:

DanaDane said:

The 1992 Sun Bowl was damn sure meaningful.
That was the last Sun Bowl I attended. A great upset of Arizona and fitting way to say goodbye to Grant Teaff
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
Task Force 2015
  • I live in a suburb of Waco.I don't want a low level bowl game not involving Baylor moved to Waco during a pandemic.Also,hosting a bowl game,if done right, is no small task .
Robert Wilson
Bowl game would be great for Waco. The Sun Bowl isn't low tier. It's mid tier. And it's historic. Plus, what are we going to get - the Sugar Bowl? Sun Bowl is the tip top of what we could expect.

It's a pipe dream anyway, but would be great for Waco.

The Brazos Bowl.
JumboShrimper
Just call it the Dr. Pepper bowl.
Jack Bauer
The Las Vegas Bowl is the 10th bowl game canceled because of the pandemic; the Bahamas, Celebration, Fenway, Hawaii, Holiday, Motor City, Pinstripe, Redbox and Sun bowls are the others.
whitetrash
Jack Bauer said:

The Las Vegas Bowl is the 10th bowl game canceled because of the pandemic; the Bahamas, Celebration, Fenway, Hawaii, Holiday, Motor City, Pinstripe, Redbox and Sun bowls are the others.
Of those cancelled, the Sun Bowl is the only one who has a history bigger than just filling airtime on ESPN.
Jack Bauer
Bowl games cancelled:
Pinstripe
LA Bowl
Sun
Redox
Hawaii
Bahamas
San Diego
Quick Lane
Las Vegas
Frisco

New Mexico Bowl moved to Frisco
Hearing they move the Rose Bowl location since all the teams in the CFB will be East or near the Mississippi River.
Stats97
I admit I like the Sun Bowl, while it has never been a "major" bowl, it has great tradition. Back when there were fewer bowl games, and fewer national TV games, it was quite a showcase. Along with the Bluebonnet, it was often the home to the SWC runner-up, so it often was of interest to me. Also, it's one of the few bowls that still plays in their namesake stadium. The Rose is the only other I can think of.
Green&GoldStandard
ABC BEAR said:

Borders don't stop bullets. They could still catch a cartel cap in the azz.
Green&GoldStandard
Stranger said:

MrGolfguy said:

Stranger said:

Actually it was the El Paso high school all-stars from several high schools defeating Ranger in a close game. Ranger was one of the power house teams in Texas in those days. It's my hometown and I knew probably a dozen guys that played on the team. In 1985, the fiftieth anniversary, CBS Sports hosted about six players of that Ranger team and Pat Summerall honored them on tv at halftime. After that first year they started inviting college teams.

My Dad said that the town of Ranger chartered an entire train of fans for the trip to El Paso. The Sun Bowl trophy with all the teams in the history of the game is on a glass case as you enter the front door of the El Paso Airport.

They had to charter fans? An entire train of them? Someone should tell TCWho about this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.