Football
Sponsored by

If we go 6-6 this year, would Aranda deserve a hot seat yet?

2,835 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Greenbear
Jorkel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Greenbear said:

Drango Unchained said:

I love aranda, but the statement that he is the best hire in 20 years is equal and opposite kind of crazy of the OP. At this point he's the 3rd best hire, and I'm not sure anyone will be able to top the redemption tour of Rhule after the post briles mess.
I think maybe some have taken my post out of context. I believe Aranda is the best coach, the best hire in 20 years of Baylor football. He can't match the accomplishments of other hires, yet. Let's not get these two things confused.

Aranda better than Briles? Most exciting time of Baylor football, but Art didn't practice what he preached in many ways. I mean on the field and off. He was not always a great fit, but his football was fun to watch. Some poor judgments led to his downfall, and Baylors.

Rhule did a good job, but largely with smoke and mirrors in season 3. Not a great recruiter, he was good at getting the best from people and a really good X and O's guy. Wish he had stayed as he was a good fit.

I subscribe to a little different philosophy than most on here. 3 years and out will not work at Baylor for a coach of a major program. It can work at UT or LSU or A&M because they just keep bringing on talent. Baylor isn't the same. We are more like a TT or OSU. OSU has benefitted from Gundy being there long term even though he hasn't produced a OU like program and the natives continue to be restless because he can't beat OU. Baylor needs a long-term Coach and I believe Aranda is a great coach and a great hire. He is a good fit for Baylor. Has he made mistakes? Yes, and he self-admitted that he needed to be more verbal and that his offense needed new direction. He is a man of character who brought in the right coaches, great recruiters and all have faith. That is important to me, and I hope, Baylor.

Just my opinion, I guess. Hot seat? No. Does he have to prove himself? of course. But I still think he is the best hire for a football coach we have had, for Baylor, in a long, long time. Just my opinion.

You think Aranda is gonna stick around for 5+ years if he succeeds here?
PartyBear
He could. Briles appeared like he was going to stay here long term fter the Texas situation. Depends on if we keep paying blue blood level salaries to winners. I think we will. Rhule was somewhat of an anamoly. He wanted Baylor on his resume just to get to the NFL. He clearly was looking to leave literally as soon as he signed here and got the P5 added to his resume.
Stranger
PartyBear said:

He could Briles appeared like he was going to stay here long term fter the Texas situation. Depends on if we keep paying blue blood level salaries to winners. I think we will. Rhule was somewhat of an anamoly. He wanted Baylor on his resume just to get to the NFL. He clearly was looking to leave literally as soon as he signed here and got the P5 added to his resume.

Rhule the tool
I'm a Bearbacker
Ewalker80
PartyBear said:

He could. Briles appeared like he was going to stay here long term fter the Texas situation. Depends on if we keep paying blue blood level salaries to winners. I think we will. Rhule was somewhat of an anamoly. He wanted Baylor on his resume just to get to the NFL. He clearly was looking to leave literally as soon as he signed here and got the P5 added to his resume.

I don't know enough about aranda yet to have a firm opinion. Rhule consistently talked nfl from day 1 so we always knew it wouldn't be long if we were listening. He also had a very clear vision for his own future.

Aranda is a unique individual and I mean that in a good way. He is very self reflective and open but his motivations appear to be different in some ways than many coaches. He almost strikes me as something close to the mythological benevolent philosopher coach. Hopefully it works out and he stays for a long time but I don't think he is the kind of person with such a firm vision of his own future. I think he just takes things one step at a time. Just my read.
Thee University
PartyBear said:

There is no loyalty with college coaches today.

For that matter there is no loyalty with college football players today.

They use us so we need to make certain we get more out of them than they do out of us.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
PartyBear
I know that is why I said if we pay him blue blood levels he may stay a while if successful.
Greenbear
There is loyalty among some college coaches, but not many. When a coach is hired, there is a high probability he will be fired if he stays long enough. We just don't want to become a stepping-stone program. Rhule was a great hire until he left. Some of you somehow believe in continuity between coaches. There isn't any, or very little. Each coach has a different scheme, attractive to some, not others. Each coach values different athletes at similar positions. Each coach interacts with players differently. Some coaches want to develop, some want players to come in an play.

Continuity does breed success in some cases, but not always. Baylor has always done better with long-term coaching solutions.

For Rhule, the ball bounced so well for us in his third year. I am happy about that and don't begrudge him at all. But it was always clear he wanted the NFL, not Baylor. Baylor was a stepping stone or back up plan for him. I do expect our AD to find coaches that have a good shot at staying at Baylor long-term, but there is no guarantee, not even blue-blood pay.

Let me rephrase - after year one, I think Aranda has a good chance to be the best coach we have hired in 20 years. That doesn't mean he is, but it means I think there is a good chance he will be for the reasons I mentioned previously.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.