Football
Sponsored by

B12 admin considering increased revenue shares to try and keep UT/OU

5,864 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aberzombie1892
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2 days ago when this was first hitting I would have said pull out all the stops to keep them from leaving.

But now I say just let them go and don't grovel for them to stay. I don't think there is any way they would stay now, but even if they did it's just a matter of time before they start shopping around again. We can't continue to stay in this twisted relationship where we have zero leverage.

Big 12 officials discuss extra revenue shares for Texas, Oklahoma as enticement not to leave for SEC

By Dennis Dodd 15m ago 1 min read
Big 12 officials have discussed a structure in which Texas and Oklahoma would receive additional revenue shares as a way of enticing the two schools to remain in the conference rather than pursue a future in the SEC, conference sources have told CBS Sports.

Such a structure would grant the Longhorns and Sooners an additional half-share annually (1.5 shares each), bumping their payouts to approximately $56 million per year. The other eight schools would decrease their payouts accordingly. Big 12 schools currently average $37 million in annual TV rights earnings, including revenue from bowl games and the NCAA Tournament.

The topic became a discussion point Thursday night during the conference call with Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby. Texas and Oklahoma were not part of the call. One person familiar with the conversation stressed the revenue share idea was "from the 50,000-foot level" and preliminary in nature.

Texas and Oklahoma are expected to inform the Big 12 on Monday of their intent to not renew their grant of rights agreements with the league, effectively indicating their departure from the conference. That agreement lasts through the 2024-25 athletic season.

What is not known is when the Longhorns and Sooners hope to actually leave the Big 12. As CBS Sports reported Friday, the Big 12 powers would owe the conference as much as $80 million each should they leave before the current TV rights deal expires.

One industry source told CBS Sports that such a bold move could serve as a warning to a conference like the Big Ten, which must ensure it keeps Ohio State and Michigan from moving in the future.

There are exceptions, but most FBS conferences share revenue equally.

While the Big 12 revenue play may be a longshot, league sources tell CBS Sports that the conference hasn't given up on keeping Texas and Oklahoma in the fold. Retaining UT and OU was the first stated goal in a summary provided by the Big 12 following that Thursday night conference call.

If Texas and Oklahoma move to the SEC as expected, there will be a financial windfall for those schools and the SEC as a whole. SEC teams currently earn an average of $44 million per year from their rights agreement, a figure that could balloon to over $60 million with UT and OU in tow.
BylrFan
We have reached the point of bargaining on the grief scale
BUBBFAN
Good Lord, just let them go.
Johnny Bear
I agree - at this point let them go. Just accept that they're gone and get ready to enjoy watching them become two more aggy like programs that go 8-4 or 7-5 other than rare one off years when they do a little better or a little worse in a conference where they won't be the big dogs that call all of the shots. It may take some time, but I believe we're ultimately going to land somewhere in a power conference that isn't repeatedly hell bent on destroying itself.
SIC EM 94
Screw that UT and OU won't stay in the Big 12 if the additional money is even higher. Stop wasting another minute trying to stay in an abusive relationship with UT/OU and concentrate on the best options moving forward without then.
PartyBear
Yea let them go. Maybe this is all ploy set up to justify Bowlsby giving UT and OU more?
boognish_bear
contrario
It does smell of desperation, but let's face it, we are desperate. The very real reality is Baylor and a handful of schools face being left out. And if the two options are 1) pay UT and OU a larger share and we still make $30 million per year, and 2) being in a smaller conference where we only make $10 million or less per year and the competition isn't as good (boring matchups) and we very likely won't make the playoffs unless we have a perfect season, I think those in charge will choose #1. And I think anyone that had the responsibility of trying to fund a budget would choose #1.

But it would only be a bandaid to possibly buy schools more time.

This is why Nebraska, Colorado, aggy and Missouri got as far away from UT as they could.
boognish_bear
gobears20
Staff
Sounds like we need a good divorce lawyer
Bear8084
Unless they are signing an ironclad 20+ year GOR with it, no. What a dumb idea. Pay them more money just so they can blow up the conference again 4 years down the road. No thanks.
Johnny Bear
Johnny Bear said:

I agree - at this point let them go. Just accept that they're gone and get ready to enjoy watching them become two more aggy like programs that go 8-4 or 7-5 other than rare one off years when they do a little better or a little worse in a conference where they won't be the big dogs that call all of the shots. It may take some time, but I believe we're ultimately going to land somewhere in a power conference that isn't repeatedly hell bent on destroying itself.
Bexar Pitts
PartyBear said:

Yea let them go. Maybe this is all ploy set up to justify Bowlsby giving UT and OU more?
Hasn't it been said that Fox and ESPN aren't renewing BIG 12 TV contracts? If that is the case, where's the additional money coming from to keep them here? I would think a definitive revenue source would need to be in place to make future promises for said revenue sharing.
timtollison
BUY,BUY,......okla will fit rite in the sec..and UT,not so much,but they will change the sec,to their way of thinking...get coaches fired,lie,change the rules.....horns down,could become the death penalty,in the near future
gobears20
Staff
If the Sec thinks A&M is bad wait until they get a load of Texas. Texas loves control and will bring a ton of politics and drama. One fact is the Sec won't cave like the Big 12 does to them.

boognish_bear
gobears20 said:

One fact is the Sec won't cave like the Big 12 does to them.

I'm really looking forward to that part
Robert Wilson
Embarrassing- just stop. Adios mofos.
PartyBear
Bexar Pitts said:

PartyBear said:

Hasn't it been said that Fox and ESPN aren't renewing BIG 12 TV contracts? If that is the case, where's the additional money coming from to keep them here? I would think a definitive revenue source would need to be in place to make future promises for said revenue sharing.

I meant more in terms of a ploy by the two and Bowlsby to justify giving a higher share to the two than the other 8. It just sounds too stupid right now to be real in terms of Bowlsby's approach to solving this. But he has been mismanaging for a decade now.
blackie
I think in the legal world this would be volunteering to be black-mailed. When would it end?

When I saw this, my first thought was that what it was telling me is that the leftover 8 really don't think they would be picked up by any other conference. As such, the best path, moneywise, would be to give up some trying to keep UT and OU here versus expanding without them and getting a lesser payout with new members. But does that just delay the inevitable? But who knows what is going on with these conferences. Perhaps buying time is a smart strategy based on what they may secretly know. Certainly no way for any of us to know.

This really is a no-win situation, and it should not be that way. The only way to not keep paying and being on edge because of when, not if, they will do it again is to not pay in the first place. Stiff them for the largest amount you can and move on with expansion of your own. But, they could also stay for the remainder of the contract and then bolt and you don't get anything out of them. Very toxic situation. If they don't want to be here, they need to get out yesterday.
DustyM
Robert Wilson said:

Embarrassing- just stop. Adios mofos.

How about just telling them to leave now and just give the Big 12 the $80 million each. We could use that as payment in advance to entice other schools to join the Big 12.

Example: $ 10 million down and full payout share to both Arizona schools.
Same for BYU and Utah, and how about Colorado and Colorado St.

We get rid of two trouble maker P5 schools and add 5 P5 and one with a new on campus stadium.
That adds three states to our map. That also brings us to 14, if all agree. All six of those schools do not make as much as the Big 12 pays out.

That brings us to 14 universities plus we can add a few more such as, Cincy, Memphis, Houston, SMU, Tulsa and Tulane. That would bring us to 20 universities and we become the large conference. Maybe the money may not be as big, but all of them would give a nice footprint in the center of the US. It also brings some rivals that would be fun to watch.

Just a thought. This could be adjusted in any format, especially if we have UT and OU money to play with.

Any thoughts.
PartyBear
blackie said:

I think in the legal world this would be volunteering to be black-mailed. When would it end?

When I saw this, my first thought was that what it was telling me is that the leftover 8 really don't think they would be picked up by any other conference. As such, the best path, moneywise, would be to give up some trying to keep UT and OU here versus expanding without them and getting a lesser payout with new members. But does that just delay the inevitable? But who knows what is going on with these conferences. Perhaps buying time is a smart strategy based on what they may secretly know. Certainly no way for any of us to know.

This really is a no-win situation, and it should not be that way. The only way to not keep paying and being on edge because of when, not if, they will do it again is to not pay in the first place. Stiff them for the largest amount you can and move on with expansion of your own. But, they could also stay for the remainder of the contract and then bolt and you don't get anything out of them. Very toxic situation. If they don't want to be here, they need to get out yesterday.

I took this to be an idea coming from the XII front office, not a proposal from members. Frankly it sounds like it was after this conference call that Baylor, Tech and TCU made their own conference call o the PAC, based on my perception of the timeline.
blackie
PartyBear said:

blackie said:

I took this to be an idea coming from the XII front office, not a proposal from members.
I read "administration" and took it to be the entire group at the meeting. It's not real specific. You could very well be correct.....them trying to save their jobs.
RegentCoverup
Those SEC fans are gonna love touring the Tiger King zoo.

The Arkansas fans are gonna feel right at home.

This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
EatMoreSalmon
Just tell the Big XII admin to go on home without pay. Split that salary money among the 8 and let them use it to help land in a good spot.
chukronos
boognish_bear said:

Smarter than going down to G5 level. We'd make a lot less money in G5 than we would by taking a decreased share.

If they agree - and they won't- but, if they agreed to it, our #1 goal would be making ourselves very attractive to another conference so we don't get left out.
PartyBear
chukronos said:

boognish_bear said:

Smarter than going down to G5 level. We'd make a lot less money in G5 than we would by taking a decreased share.

If they agree - and they won't- but, if they agreed to it, our #1 goal would be making ourselves very attractive to another conference so we don't get left out.

That is what we said 11 years ago. We admittedly have made a good attempt at that, whether it has been enough, we just have to see. I will say this we are in much better shape now and in a better place than we were in June of 10.
possible12
Holy crap, do these 8 need a leader. Pants on the ground!! Obviously not one ad in bunch can command the room with realism.
RegentCoverup
It proves that university leaders rarely have business sense.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Oso del lago
This is slimy big IX gross! How damn shameful. I for one lol forward for a return of actual college sports and the new NFL G league. I think it will be great
Born_A_Bear
Perfect example of living in the Ivory Tower.
Book knowledge- check.
Business sense - ?
Baylor Law should have added Sports Law as a requirement when the SWC evaporated.
PartyBear
I'm interpreting this differently than y'all. Again I think this was an idea the conference proposed on the conference call that occurred at 5 pm on Thursday. Then yesterday morning it was reported Baylor,TT and TCU made their own call to the PAC the night before. My understanding is that means that call occurred after this 5 pm meeting with the XII officials.
EvilTroyAndAbed
This is 10,000 times worse than having them leave. It makes me embarrassed. What a joke the leadership is.
Robert Wilson
If you needed to know whether we are out of good ideas, this is pretty solid confirmation.
blackie
We are all making assumptions here. Perhaps fair or perhaps not fair. Personally, I don't like assumptions made about me from people that don't even know me or don't have facts about what I did/do or didn't/don't do. All we can do is let the situation play out. If blame is appropriate, that can be assessed once this thing plays out and we know where we stand......and hopefully why and how it came about.

Heck, we've still got people that believe that Ann Richards got us into the Big XII in the first place........totally incorrect. All based on assumptions.
9b1deb4d-3b7d-4bad-9bdd-2
This thread is full of people that quit their job at Best Buy because they were too proud to clean the bathroom so went down the street to work at Walmart. Appearing desperate is a lot better than setting the school back 20 years. I don't think it's going to work but certainly the right decision to try to broker the best deal.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.