Story Poster
Baylor Football

GameDay Thread: Baylor (1-0) faces Texas Southern (0-1) for home opener

September 10, 2021

Depth Chart | Class Scholarship Breakdown | Schedule | Big 12 Standings | Roster

Baylor (1-0) is set to play its home opener for the 2021 football season on Saturday evening at 6 p.m. CT against Texas Southern (0-1).

Quote of the week...

Dave Aranda: “Completing our shot plays. At the end of the game, the Texas State coordinator, we we were shaking hands, we'd always meet and talk ball at various places. It's a good, good young coach and shaking hands and I go, "man, good idea with a man coverage." They are not a big man team, and they played man versus us. In the first game, there's always adjustments to be made. So this just happened to be one of them, and we're able to adjust to it. But I think until we can complete balls down the field, you're asking defensively for a certain way people gonna play you. So you have to stretch it out.”

Craig Smoak’s Players to Watch 

Texas Southern — Linebacker Tim Walton Jr.

It was not a banner day for the Tigers' defense last week, but the senior linebacker was very active collecting a team-leading 8 tackles, 0.5 sack, 1.5 TFL, two forced fumbles, and a pass deflection. Going back to Aranda's comments, Walton Jr. will be a big part of that defensive pressure the Bears' offense is expected to face. 

Baylor — Wide Receiver Tyquan Thornton

Thornton's 46 yards receiving on five catches last week means he's only 112 yards and one touchdown away from matching his season totals in 2020, which is wild.

As mentioned earlier, the pass defense was not a strength for TSU in their debut. I expect WR1 RJ Sneed will do his thing as usual, but this seems like a ripe opportunity for Thornton to take a step forward. He should be a dominant number two wide receiver at this point in his career.

If the number of targets last week is any indicator, the Florida native will have opportunities, and now he needs to take further advantage of them. 

Video of the Week

Discussion from...

GameDay Thread: Baylor (1-0) faces Texas Southern (0-1) for home opener

16,989 Views | 182 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mascudkoray
Jack Bauer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oh sheeot - Ryan Leaf is calling next weeks' game vs. Kansas!
Bear8084
Jack Bauer said:

oh sheeot - Ryan Leaf is calling next weeks' game vs. Kansas!

Fine with me, he was a natural in the booth.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
ImABearToo
He seems to like Baylor, even comments around Briles and Rhule were positive.
johnnychimpo
Good for you to now now TXST margin was not a fluke. TXST may finish SBC #4/5 good for 6-7.
mascudkoray
Going to be another perfect game to nap too

mold removal Bloomfield michigan

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.