Football
Sponsored by

Big 12 schools by endowment

9,234 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Redbrickbear
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
VA Cougar said:

Pecos, I get that religion brings out the crazies, just like politics. And all religions have things about them that look weird to others. That's why a premise of religion is faith…faith in what you believe. And thank God that we live in a country where you can believe in what you want. Normally I don't care about posters degrading my faith, but if it's false, I'll correct.

Polygamy was a history of the Mormon faith, it hasn't since the 1890s. I don't see a single similarity in Koresh's Branch Davidians and the Mormon faith. No doomsday prophesies, apocalyptic prepping, or commune isolation. But it's your God-given agency and first amendment right to say so if you believe so.

I tend to follow coaches when they leave BYU. Grimes was a special one who made significant improvements to BYUs program during both times at BYU. Having heard him and his wife at pregame events speak about their experiences at BYU, I doubt they would agree with your assessments of members of the Mormon faith either.

As a BYU fan, I'm very much excited to see new opportunities in the B12, a fit that I believe is better than what the P12 could offer or what Independence was providing. I hope you take the opportunity to visit Provo for a game, take a pregame tour of the stadium booth offered only to visitors of opposing teams, see the conference-mate flags flying in the endzones, the free ice cream during the game that's offered to those visitors, sing your fight song played by our band. Hopefully the teams take the opportunity to pray together at the conclusion of the game like after BYU played BSU or sing fight songs together like after BYU played Navy last year. After all, after the game ends, we all have more common than just fans of opposing teams.
Va Cougar just blow it off. If you want to examine a cult. You should just look at R&P board here. It is nothing but a nut job palooza there that does not reflect at all what Baylor folks are like. I actually know a couple of BYU grads who are of course LDS and I was a bit shocked at how progressive they are politically and culturally.

Welcome to the XII. I hope y'all can keep Sitake. I saw he is a top candidate for USC according to some. That surprised me to be honest. I thought BYU was a little different in that an LDS member who is a BYU grad who is a HC at BYU would be hard to lure away from BYU but the principal that money talks and that everyone is a hired gun applies everywhere I suppose. So hope y'all come up with the money it takes to continue to buy his loyalty if that actually develops into something.
VA Cougar
I think most folks hope that Sitake isn't really the right fit for USC, that he will be a BYU lifer. I don't think BYU can compete yet with $$$ wise, but Sitake is living his dream. I think he doesn't get offered
Pecos 45
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Pecos 45 said:

Baylorbears111 said:

Pecos 45 said:

Well I'm shocked at BYU's numbers.
I didn't realize polygamists who won't let their wives work outside the home have so much money.
Slanders aside. BYU tuition is $6,000 per semester for non-LDS students. Even cheaper if you are a member. The time is long past for Baylor to start circling the wagons and getting its tuition balloon under control. There are better ways to blow $25,000 per semester.
The best defense against slander is the truth.
And the Mormons don't want the truth.
They want you to believe that they are all like Donnie and Marie Osmond..

The Mormons are just Branch Davidians with better haircuts.
Take this crap to the R&P board and never ever bring it up again here.
Touchy today aren't we.
Funny how posts deriding Muslim are just fine on here, but making fun of Mormons is out of line.
South Park would have a field day with this.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Pecos 45
VA Cougar said:

Pecos, I get that religion brings out the crazies, just like politics. And all religions have things about them that look weird to others. That's why a premise of religion is faith…faith in what you believe. And thank God that we live in a country where you can believe in what you want. Normally I don't care about posters degrading my faith, but if it's false, I'll correct.

Polygamy was a history of the Mormon faith, it hasn't since the 1890s. I don't see a single similarity in Koresh's Branch Davidians and the Mormon faith. No doomsday prophesies, apocalyptic prepping, or commune isolation. But it's your God-given agency and first amendment right to say so if you believe so.

I tend to follow coaches when they leave BYU. Grimes was a special one who made significant improvements to BYUs program during both times at BYU. Having heard him and his wife at pregame events speak about their experiences at BYU, I doubt they would agree with your assessments of members of the Mormon faith either.

As a BYU fan, I'm very much excited to see new opportunities in the B12, a fit that I believe is better than what the P12 could offer or what Independence was providing. I hope you take the opportunity to visit Provo for a game, take a pregame tour of the stadium booth offered only to visitors of opposing teams, see the conference-mate flags flying in the endzones, the free ice cream during the game that's offered to those visitors, sing your fight song played by our band. Hopefully the teams take the opportunity to pray together at the conclusion of the game like after BYU played BSU or sing fight songs together like after BYU played Navy last year. After all, after the game ends, we all have more common than just fans of opposing teams.
Well, I've been asked to take this to R&P, but let me respectfully ask everyone who got their panties in a wad over my comments to get a copy of the book Under the Banner of Heaven.
Read it and then get back to me.

(Those darn facts keep getting in the way.)

For fun, check out this little-known facet of the Mormon faith, the Dream Mine.
Book 'em, Dano!
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Quinton
Mitch Henessey said:

Good luck getting information on our endowment's returns from Baylor. I work in asset management and have asked for this information several times and haven't received anything other than what's printed in the brochure (which is, frankly, nothing).

I suspect that Baylor utilizes the failed "endowment model" popularized by the late David Swenson at the Yale endowment office. Which really only works if you're David Swenson or are a massive hedge fund masquerading as a school endowment (Harvard). And even then, the returns aren't great. Baylor would be better off indexing.
Basically what I would have guessed. We are speculating but every indication I as far as I can tell is its been very very mediocre. I was surprised I hadn't heard of this model but just read very briefly and looks like maybe the worst possible way to go over the last 10 yrs (hyperbole but not too far off).

Like you said indexing would have beat this huge. Its funny to me you could have hired a twenty something to buy Spy on dips and would have crushed whoever they had managing.
Quinton
Baylorbears111 said:

Pecos 45 said:

Well I'm shocked at BYU's numbers.
I didn't realize polygamists who won't let their wives work outside the home have so much money.
Slanders aside. BYU tuition is $6,000 per semester for non-LDS students. Even cheaper if you are a member. The time is long past for Baylor to start circling the wagons and getting its tuition balloon under control. There are better ways to blow $25,000 per semester.
BYU is in incredible financial shape. Honestly they are probably in better shape than any school not named Harvard. Yes, better than Texas.

The church has financing and funds all over. Well exceeds the Ivy endowments If I understand correctly. I only say the other bc Harvard could probably raise massive amounts if needed quickly too. The church has unreal excess funds from my understanding that BYU could use if needed. It is not necessary for it to just sit in the endowment but it definitely is more possible funds than almost any other school in the world.
Redbrickbear
PartyBear said:

VA Cougar said:

Va Cougar just blow it off. If you want to examine a cult. You should just look at R&P board here. It is nothing but a nut job palooza there that does not reflect at all what Baylor folks are like. I actually know a couple of BYU grads who are of course LDS and I was a bit shocked at how progressive they are politically and culturally.

Welcome to the XII. I hope y'all can keep Sitake. I saw he is a top candidate for USC according to some. That surprised me to be honest. I thought BYU was a little different in that an LDS member who is a BYU grad who is a HC at BYU would be hard to lure away from BYU but the principal that money talks and that everyone is a hired gun applies everywhere I suppose. So hope y'all come up with the money it takes to continue to buy his loyalty if that actually develops into something.

Yea I know the politics board is rad.

I love posting there
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.