Story Poster
Baylor Football

GameDay Thread: Baylor (5-1) welcomes No. 19 BYU (5-1) to McLane Stadium

October 15, 2021

Depth Chart | Class Scholarship Breakdown | Schedule | Big 12 Standings | Roster

Baylor (5-1) looks to stay on track and earn bowl eligibility against No. 19-ranked BYU (5-1) at McLane Stadium on Saturday afternoon in a Homecoming game. 

Quote of the week...

Dave Aranda: “For us like to have a great Monday and for us to have really intentional meetings, when we're out in practice today and we're on the left hash and we're gonna take the drill and go to the right hash, we need to jog and run to that. I'm gonna be... my day is going to be really kind of are we running to this, right? Are we looking to get the most out of today? Or are we looking just to kind of go through the motions because we had a W on Saturday as opposed to an L the week before? I see this week is really being central that way. In terms of how we do what we do.”

Craig Smoak’s Players to Watch 

Baylor — Wide Receiver Drew Estrada 

Estrada cracked the starting lineup for the first time as a Bear last week against West Virginia, and the past couple of games have shown why he was such a highly thought of transfer addition. Now healthier, Estrada is squarely in the mix and has caught ten passes for 178 yards in the past two weeks while also showing his strength as a blocker. It's only a matter of time until he finds the endzone for his first touchdown in green and gold. 

BYU — Quarterback Jaren Hall 

Hall made his return to the lineup last week after missing the previous two contests with bruised ribs and proceeded to surpass the 300-yard passing mark for the first time in his career. Unfortunately, BYU's backs lost three fumbles (one on special teams), the offense failed twice on fourth down, they struggled in the rain, and Hall was picked off on 3rd and 20 in BSU territory to seal the deal. He's a capable passer but still young in his experience and development. The sophomore is also a threat running the ball, although the injury seemed to sideline that aspect of his game last week. 

Pregame Show | Saturday, 12:30 p.m. CT

Discussion from...

GameDay Thread: Baylor (5-1) welcomes No. 19 BYU (5-1) to McLane Stadium

29,897 Views | 430 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bear2be2
Timbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Terrible. No FG! What was that!
IowaBear
Not surprised at the pick. Gerry through into double and triple coverage a ton last week. Did it to Sims on the long catch. Should have taken the 3 dumb decision
Jorkel
Take the points and kick a field goal
Big_Pumpin
What is going on? Take the points. Sometimes I just don't understand a coach can be so smart yet so stupid
Jack Bauer
FGs are ok!!!!!
BaylorGrad09
As an armchair quarterback with the knowledge of what happened…I would have taken the points and the lead there.
wgeralds
trivia question completely ruined now
Pjaeck
Take the points...
mdanderson
I agree. Throw on 3rd and 7.
Johnny Bear
Take the field goal there and get on the board. Not smart.
IowaBear
Another classic Aranda brain fart
jdrs
Think we got a little cocky with our 4th down conversion percentage.
CaliByWayOfKS
GB's eyes followed the TE the while time... Gotta go through progressions man. Not to mention 3 BYU defenders in coverage on the TE.
DanaDane
wgeralds
if you trust your defense and points will be at a premium this game...confused why you don't kick the FG there.
Jack Bauer
Kentucky starting better than Arkansas against Georgia. 0-0 through 8 mins.
Stefano DiMera
At the game..BYU crowd loud.. student side loud but alumni side lame.
DanaDane
Would love to have seen a fake handoff and quick pop to the TE on 2nd & goal after Smith's first run got nowhere. BYU D looked pretty confident we were gonna try to run it in. LB's and corners were cheating up and safeties were wide.
IowaBear
He's been doing that for a few weeks now. Last week was bad. He had a great game but WV should have had at least 2 picks. He locks onto one receiver and doesn't go through his progressions
whitetrash
Flea flicker flicked
DanaDane
Way to snuff out that lateral and attempted pass!!!!
jdrs
Pitre!
DanaDane
D appears locked in early!!!!!!!!!!!!
jdrs
Nice job D!
Jack Bauer
Great D!!!!
Big_Pumpin
Sure wish it was 3-0
Pjaeck
I will say it. Y'all can call me out all you want. We have an elite defense. By December everyone will be talking about our D
Big_Pumpin
If I hear analytics one more time
IowaBear
Alright O let's try this again. FGs aren't illegal Aranda. Let's see how Gerry responds to pick #1
Jacques Strap
good start for the D. Still SMH about not taking the easy 3 points playing at home.
DrCrunkDaddy
Tired of watching this offensive coordinator call dumb plays like 2 runs in a row, and the second one when we're in a long yardage situation on 3rd. Also, wth did we not kick the field goal there
Jack Bauer
Purdue 7
Iowa 0
1Q
Big_Pumpin
DrCrunkDaddy said:

Tired of watching this offensive coordinator call dumb plays like 2 runs in a row, and the second one when we're in a long yardage situation on 3rd. Also, wth did we not kick the field goal there

Analytics. Duh!
whitetrash
Honoring James Lockhart with Bobby Jones Award for his performance in homecoming 2019 win over West Virginia. Only problem is that we played Tech for homecoming in 2019 (and played WV on a Thursday night).
jdrs
How fun to see Rg3 run the line.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.