Football
Sponsored by

Charlie Brewer...

5,466 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jorkel
Bear8084
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

ImwithBU said:

JustWinBears said:

The whole Brewer situation has been weird to me with how well he played for us for him to fall so far. I feel he needs to retire though, the amount of times he's gotten concussions concerns me greatly for his long term health.

He was a bright spot on some ****ty offensive teams that's pretty much it. Stats came from longevity of playing. He played hard and gave it his all but concussions got the beat of him
He's one of two players in program history to quarterback Baylor to 11 wins in a season, and led a ton of late game-winning drives during that campaign.

The revisionist history here of Charlie's career, and the Rhule era in general, is ridiculous.

And Charlie's numbers his sophomore and junior seasons stand on their own just fine. He accomplished a number of things in those two seasons that neither of this year's QBs did.

And as for your "****ty offenses" comment, this year's team is averaging nine more yards and three fewer points per game than the 2019 unit did.

That 2019 unit had 2 overtime games to inflate their offensive stats. Without scoring 33 points in overtimes vs Tech and TCU, the offensive stats look a lot worse.
Not a lot worse. We're talking about 13- and 14-game samples here. That's less than three points per game.

Those offenses, like this one, were above average units. Not elite, but very solid, particularly given what we were/are trying to do on defense. They were offenses designed to complement our defense and put us in positions to win tough games late.

And Charlie was exceptionally effective in his role for those teams.

Unfortunately, injuries took their toll on him and he wasn't the same player as a senior that he was before. But that disappointing final season doesn't change what he did in his previous years as a starter.
Charlie was a decent QB those years. Based on most QB rankings (yards, TDs, QB rating) he was 4th or 5th in the Big 12 in most categories most years.

Our offense this year was about as effective as our 2019 offense (literally the same in regulation overall and in the Big 12 in PPG). Kind of to be expected as Gerry is a first year starter and he hasn't even played in 3 games.
This offense rushes for almost 50 more yards per game than the 2018 and 2019 offenses did and is a much more quarterback-friendly scheme. It's a lot of play action stuff off the running game. Charlie was leaned on far more heavily than Gerry or Shapen have been to make our offense go.

He was a good quarterback, and his record those years reflected that. Why some of y'all have so much trouble acknowledging that is baffling to me.
Again Brewer was a decent QB. His overall record at Baylor as QB was 21-20. He was the 4th or 5th best QB in the Big 12 in 2018 and 2019. Probably 7th or 8th best in 2020. Won't rank him in 2017 because he was a freshman that only really played 4 games.

I just don't put him in the top 3 of all-time Baylor QBs skill wise. Probably top 5.
No one has said he was good his senior year, so his 2-7 record last year is irrelevant to this discussion. We're talking about the period before mounting injuries diminished his abilities.

And from his freshman to junior seasons, he completed 630 of 983 passes (64.1 percent) for 7,742 yards with a 51-to-20 touchdown-to-interception ratio and ran for 885 yards and 18 more touchdowns. Those are better than decent numbers. For the years he played, he ranked 33rd, 55th and 37th in passer rating. That would put him firmly in the top third of all FBS quarterbacks over that time.
If we were the 33rd, 55th and 37th ranked football program, you'd say we were a decent program. Charlie was fine. He wasn't elite.

He was probably our 4th or 5th best QB in the last decade. Not trying to trash him. I just think people think he was the second coming of Griffin or something.
I don't think anyone thinks that. But decent means adequate, and Charlie was better than adequate by virtually every measure. He was a good college quarterback, who until his final season was great with the game on the line. "Decent" doesn't do him or his contributions to our program justice.

Yeah...just like the CMR hate, I don't get it. He laid down a lot playing in the Green and Gold and I am grateful for the successes he brought us. A good QB (When healthy) and one that helped us get out of the muck of the scandal with his play and tenacity on the field and wins.
ImwithBU
BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

ImwithBU said:

JustWinBears said:

The whole Brewer situation has been weird to me with how well he played for us for him to fall so far. I feel he needs to retire though, the amount of times he's gotten concussions concerns me greatly for his long term health.

He was a bright spot on some ****ty offensive teams that's pretty much it. Stats came from longevity of playing. He played hard and gave it his all but concussions got the beat of him
He's one of two players in program history to quarterback Baylor to 11 wins in a season, and led a ton of late game-winning drives during that campaign.

The revisionist history here of Charlie's career, and the Rhule era in general, is ridiculous.

And Charlie's numbers his sophomore and junior seasons stand on their own just fine. He accomplished a number of things in those two seasons that neither of this year's QBs did.

And as for your "****ty offenses" comment, this year's team is averaging nine more yards and three fewer points per game than the 2019 unit did.

That 2019 unit had 2 overtime games to inflate their offensive stats. Without scoring 33 points in overtimes vs Tech and TCU, the offensive stats look a lot worse.
Not a lot worse. We're talking about 13- and 14-game samples here. That's less than three points per game.

Those offenses, like this one, were above average units. Not elite, but very solid, particularly given what we were/are trying to do on defense. They were offenses designed to complement our defense and put us in positions to win tough games late.

Unfortunately, injuries took their toll on him and he wasn't the same player as a senior that he was before. But that disappointing final season doesn't change what he did in his previous years as a starter.
Charlie was a decent QB those years. Based on most QB rankings (yards, TDs, QB rating) he was 4th or 5th in the Big 12 in most categories most years.

Our offense this year was about as effective as our 2019 offense (literally the same in regulation overall and in the Big 12 in PPG). Kind of to be expected as Gerry is a first year starter and he hasn't even played in 3 games.
This offense rushes for almost 50 more yards per game than the 2018 and 2019 offenses did and is a much more quarterback-friendly scheme. It's a lot of play action stuff off the running game. Charlie was leaned on far more heavily than Gerry or Shapen have been to make our offense go.

He was a good quarterback, and his record those years reflected that. Why some of y'all have so much trouble acknowledging that is baffling to me.
Again Brewer was a decent QB. His overall record at Baylor as QB was 21-20. He was the 4th or 5th best QB in the Big 12 in 2018 and 2019. Probably 7th or 8th best in 2020. Won't rank him in 2017 because he was a freshman that only really played 4 games.

I just don't put him in the top 3 of all-time Baylor QBs skill wise. Probably top 5.

Because he is not a top 3 Baylor QB by any stretch of the imagination. Like I said he had longevity. He played about 40 games and that explains the records
Bear8084
ImwithBU said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

ImwithBU said:

JustWinBears said:

Because he is not a top 3 Baylor QB by any stretch of the imagination. Like I said he had longevity. He played about 40 games and that explains the records

He still had to throw the passes, win the games, etc. Longevity doesn't take away he was a really good Baylor QB when healthy.
bear2be2
Bear8084 said:

ImwithBU said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

BearTruth13 said:

bear2be2 said:

ImwithBU said:

JustWinBears said:

He still had to throw the passes, win the games, etc. Longevity doesn't take away he was a really good Baylor QB when healthy.
Exactly. And it's not like his non-counting stats weren't good. His ratio stats stand up very well against all non-Briles era quarterbacks in Baylor history. And if we're being honest, the Briles offense made virtually every quarterback who played in it look better than they would have in any other scheme.
EvilTroyAndAbed
So weird that we just won won the Big 12 after being picked 8th and there are 2 threads in the top 5 about a former QB.

Baylor fans are so weird.
1845_Society
Porteroso said:

JustWinBears said:

For sure. I'm just an outsider, but the decline in his playing the more hits he took was obvious.

Just needs to put it up. He bailed on his new team like the day after they benched him. I don't know what he's chasing, but life is bigger than football.
What most do not know, or maybe just won't accept, is that one of those senior (honest) conversations Aranda had was with CBIII and told him man-to-man that the program would be playing another QB the next season. That's why CBIII transferred out of Baylor in the first place.

So it actually makes two team bails now......
SIC EM 94
1845_Society said:

Porteroso said:

JustWinBears said:

For sure. I'm just an outsider, but the decline in his playing the more hits he took was obvious.

Just needs to put it up. He bailed on his new team like the day after they benched him. I don't know what he's chasing, but life is bigger than football.
What most do not know, or maybe just won't accept, is that one of those senior (honest) conversations Aranda had was with CBIII and told him man-to-man that the program would be playing another QB the next season. That's why CBIII transferred out of Baylor in the first place.

So it actually makes two team bails now......

Good Lord you're an idiot. Everyone knows Charlie was told he wasn't going to start for Baylor. He wanted to continue his playing career and left…is that not acceptable after everything he did for Baylor? As for Utah, he was given a shot and ended up being replaced by a better quarterback. Of course he is going to try and land somewhere else to finish his career. In order to keep his eligibility he left immediately…as he should have. Charlie most likely won't get much playing time at Liberty, but that's his decision to make…certainly not some punk like yourself.
Jorkel
He should just come back to Baylor to hold the clipboard and helmet for GB and Shapen. Everyone would welcome him back with a nice pair of khakis and a baylor football polo.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.