University Parks

1,757 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Redbrickbear
Old300Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Having just been to New Orleans, I think it would be really cool to have a Streetcar that ran from the Ferrell Center to Cameron Park Zoo, with various stops along the way. At night it could run only from campus to downtown. I realize it is probably not feasible but it would be a nice addition in the tourist vane and could shuttle fans from FC parking to the new Foster Pavilion.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/fUAlq8MfZDODZTPNbNqBv1jq3Xg=/0x0:4288x2848/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:4288x2848):format(webp):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7838289/CityLYNXGoldLineFirstPublicRide_65.jpg
Fred Barber
MrGolfguy
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Jackson Bear
They have actually talked about streetcars. There have been articles in the newspaper. Can't remember when, but in the last 5-7 years.
Yogi
UrsinusInfction
I think that talk has cooled as it's been 12 years since discussed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wacotrib.com/news/local/the-streetcar-days-of-waco/article_8abc9254-f1cf-512d-8562-2ea0f4eb86df.amp.html

The free Magnolia shuttle was nice while it lasted, and there was a bus shuttle for awhile.
Beardown1919
So quick search looks like $25-50 million per mile.

Tennis Center to Franklin is 1.2 miles. Looking at about another .2 or so to get over the river to MLK at Franklin. So low side looking at 30-35 million I'd guess. I can definitely see the value in something like that with what's planned.
Redbrickbear
Streetcars are awesome.

Far better than buses or taxis for public transit....cost, upkeep, aesthetics, etc.

Problem with them is the same one you have with all public transport today in the USA....low trust societies can't make it work.

It currently works in Lisbon Portugal...it could work in South Korea or Japan if they wanted it.

It will never work well or be broadly adopted in the USA.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.