Best Brisket in Waco!!!

7,673 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 1outawayBear
Yogi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Buzzard Billy's. I kid you not. There is not even a close second.
OsoCoreyell
I will pray for you, Yogi. I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Just know that when you want to change, we'll be here for you…with some good brisket.
Stranger
OsoCoreyell said:

I will pray for you, Yogi. I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Just know that when you want to change, we'll be here for you…with some good brisket.

he's from West, ok?
I'm a Bearbacker
WacoKelly83
Seriously though, I have heard they make great hamburgers.
KajunKarlsdad
Just don't eat anything they call Cajun on their menu, that junk is awful.
4th and Inches
LoL
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Redbrickbear
KajunKarlsdad said:

Agree,

Buzzard Billy is a good place...they just need to drop the Cajun stuff and focus on what they are actually good at.

They are not pappadeaux and never will be.
74Bear
Actually a true BBQ person is operating out of Buzzard Billys. His name is Anthony and his brisket is indeed very good.
Bear Doc
If Luby's ever served brisket, that is what I imagine it would have looked like...
PartyBear
I haven't tried it but there is a new bbq place on UP downtown that is supposed to be really good.
william
KajunKarlsdad said:

the original location was actually pretty good BITD.

- KKM
4th and Inches
74Bear said:

Actually a true BBQ person is operating out of Buzzard Billys. His name is Anthony and his brisket is indeed very good.
may try it now.. rarely is a place that does other stuff good at Brisket
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Volunteer
I've had brisket from Guess, Helberg, Jasper's, and just about all the joints in town. IMO the best brisket, by far, is at R&S on Richland Drive. Ribs are first rate too. If you haven't tried it, do so. You won't be sorry. My favorite is the fatty brisket.
FirmBear24
Interesting. Had not heard about this place. Always up for trying some new que.
Boernebear
Volunteer said:

I've had brisket from Guess, Helberg, Jasper's, and just about all the joints in town. IMO the best brisket, by far, is at R&S on Richland Drive. Ribs are first rate too. If you haven't tried it, do so. You won't be sorry. My favorite is the fatty brisket.

This is the first I've heard of R&S - thanks for the recommendation! It sounds great and from looking at reviews online, it has been open for about a year. I'll have to give it a try.
trey3216
Volunteer said:

I went and tried it today. Brisket was good, but in no way would I say it was as good as Guess or Helberg. Not enough bark (really needed more pepper) and I definitely could tell there was some regular charcoal and lighter fluid involved. Was tender and tasty, but those are subtleties I picked up on pretty quickly.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
FirmBear24
This is a review I know I can trust.
sipembeers
trey3216
sipembeers said:

it was actually really good. I know they were closed yesterday and the guy probably got a late start to the morning. Not gonna get on him too bad. He put out a solid product, and I was there at 11:00 right when they opened the door. I'll go back again.
Volunteer
trey3216 said:

Volunteer said:

I went and tried it today. Brisket was good, but in no way would I say it was as good as Guess or Helberg. Not enough bark (really needed more pepper) and I definitely could tell there was some regular charcoal and lighter fluid involved. Was tender and tasty, but those are subtleties I picked up on pretty quickly.
I'll agree that R&S has less bark. I'm not really a fan of the amount of pepper Helberg uses. To me, it overpowers the briskets natural flavor. But taste is a matter of....well.....personal taste.
Yogi
Helzberg > Guess.

I guess I need to go to Guess again.

The one time I had brisket there it was overcooked, dry and no pink. It didn't appear like a good brisket needs to appear. Maybe they just had a bad batch. The roasted garlic sausage on the other hand was actually very good.

Service was great, so if I am ever in town and able, I'll give them another shot.

Yogi
OsoCoreyell said:

I'm not lying, and I wasn't smoking that night. It was a good brisket.

My favorite Cen-Tex brisket is still Miller's out of Belton, but the Waco area has been upping its game.

Brisket is a Texas art, and there is no reason why Central Texas shouldn't be at the heart of it all.

SSadler
Had Helberg's for lunch today. Can never say it was bad. But today seemed a bit different. Lean brisket cut and felt and held together more like a medium roast.

I'll be back. Its the only "less than great" day I've had out there.

Crowds are growing. Line moves quickly, but today the line wrapped around almost half the inside dining area. Table space was getting crowded when I left at 12:30.
SIC EM 94
Just my opinion…Guess is much better than Helberg across the board!
drahthaar
Bear Doc said:

If Luby's ever served brisket, that is what I imagine it would have looked like...

We call it Bill Miller in San Antonio.
OsoCoreyell
drahthaar said:

Bear Doc said:

Yuck.
SteamedHams
Yogi said:

OsoCoreyell said:

I'm not lying, and I wasn't smoking that night. It was a good brisket.

My favorite Cen-Tex brisket is still Miller's out of Belton, but the Waco area has been upping its game.

Brisket is a Texas art, and there is no reason why Central Texas shouldn't be at the heart of it all.

Millers has, IMHO, the best ribs in the state. And their desserts are superb. I don't necessarily find that their brisket is in the same arena as Helberg/Guess (although still excellent), but their pork ribs are elite.

If any of you have not tried the jalapeno and gouda sausage at Helberg, you are missing out, because it is about as delicious as any BBQ sausage you'll ever encounter.
Osodecentx
Volunteer said:

Ribs are the best
1outawayBear
SIC EM 94 said:

Just my opinion…Guess is much better than Helberg across the board!
I go to helberg for their burnt ends. so damn good. brisket is better IMO.

like the ribs from guess much better though and sides as well
Iron Claw
Volunteer said:

Went into a bbq joint years ago and the guy slicing the brisket asked if I wanted mine cut from the lean end or the good end. I chose the good (fatty) end.
william
OsoCoreyell said:

drahthaar said:

Bear Doc said:

Yuck.
BM is perfectly adequate.

and they do have a broad menu and very fast drive thru.

All in all - it's been in business for 50 years for a reason.

- KKM

and yes I uncts, uncts I tell ya, wore the nasty denim shirt and bandana.

and they pay people a good wage for what is usu. a first job for a lot of younger people - I think its $15 an hour now.

OsoCoreyell
william said:

OsoCoreyell said:

drahthaar said:

Bear Doc said:

Yuck.

- KKM

and they pay people a good wage for what is usu. a first job for a lot of younger people - I think its $15 an hour now.

I worked at Bill Miller on Jollyville Road in Austin in 1985 and I will not ever eat there again as long as I live.
Weston Rogers
william said:

OsoCoreyell said:

drahthaar said:

Bear Doc said:

Yuck.

- KKM

Taco Bell has been in business for 60 years, reality is a bulk of our population is willing to eat disgusting food.
redfish961
Weston Rogers said:

william said:

OsoCoreyell said:

drahthaar said:

Bear Doc said:

Yuck.

- KKM

Taco Bell has been in business for 60 years, reality is a bulk of our population is willing to eat disgusting food.
Especially if it's easy.

Convenience over quality for a lot of folks.
trey3216
william said:

OsoCoreyell said:

drahthaar said:

Bear Doc said:

Yuck.

- KKM

When your fried chicken is better than your BBQ, you're not a bbq joint.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.