Best Brisket in Waco!!!

7,736 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 1outawayBear
1outawayBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trey3216 said:

william said:

OsoCoreyell said:

drahthaar said:

Bear Doc said:

If Luby's ever served brisket, that is what I imagine it would have looked like...

We call it Bill Miller in San Antonio.
Yuck.
BM is perfectly adequate.

and they do have a broad menu and very fast drive thru.

All in all - it's been in business for 50 years for a reason.

- KKM

and yes I uncts, uncts I tell ya, wore the nasty denim shirt and bandana.

and they pay people a good wage for what is usu. a first job for a lot of younger people - I think its $15 an hour now.

When your fried chicken is better than your BBQ, you're not a bbq joint.

Rudy's and BM's best items are breakfast tacos IMO..not a great sign
trey3216
1outawayBear said:

trey3216 said:

william said:

OsoCoreyell said:

drahthaar said:

Bear Doc said:

If Luby's ever served brisket, that is what I imagine it would have looked like...

We call it Bill Miller in San Antonio.
Yuck.
BM is perfectly adequate.

and they do have a broad menu and very fast drive thru.

All in all - it's been in business for 50 years for a reason.

- KKM

and yes I uncts, uncts I tell ya, wore the nasty denim shirt and bandana.

and they pay people a good wage for what is usu. a first job for a lot of younger people - I think its $15 an hour now.

Rudy's and BM's best items are breakfast tacos IMO..not a great sign
i wouldn't say that about Rudy's, but those tacos are legit. But they are BBQ, with eggs and potato.

People used to go to Uncle Dans in waco because they had good potato salad. That's not a reason to go to a bbq joint.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Eleven-League Grant
Quote:

Since you mentioned the BM fried chicken -- it's my 'go to' item when I'm in San Antonio and the guys want to hit Bill Miller. It's usually pretty good, in fact.

For that matter, Mama Underwoods' fried chicken (Brownwood, and late of Waco and other Texas cities) was always my favorite item there.

I'll have to give R&S a shot. It's nice that we finally have a good selection of places to get quality brisket in Waco.

Although every place will have an 'off' day, I'll admit that both Helberg and Guess know what they're doing, and it clearly shows.

I never hit HTK when he was still in the trailer. He may have had to compromise on his pit and technique when he moved into that nice new building. Big, authentic pits are hard to fit into modern restaurants, particularly when there are fire codes and landlord restrictions that must be met.
SSadler
SSadler said:

Had Helberg's for lunch today. Can never say it was bad. But today seemed a bit different. Lean brisket cut and felt and held together more like a medium roast.

I'll be back. Its the only "less than great" day I've had out there.

Crowds are growing. Line moves quickly, but today the line wrapped around almost half the inside dining area. Table space was getting crowded when I left at 12:30.
buletters and I try to eat there several times a month. 11:30 is our standard time and the lines are growing then as well as limited table space.
PartyBear
Eleven-League Grant said:

Quote:

Since you mentioned the BM fried chicken -- it's my 'go to' item when I'm in San Antonio and the guys want to hit Bill Miller. It's usually pretty good, in fact.

For that matter, Mama Underwoods' fried chicken (Brownwood, and late of Waco and other Texas cities) was always my favorite item there.

I'll have to give R&S a shot. It's nice that we finally have a good selection of places to get quality brisket in Waco.

Although every place will have an 'off' day, I'll admit that both Helberg and Guess know what they're doing, and it clearly shows.

I never hit HTK when he was still in the trailer. He may have had to compromise on his pit and technique when he moved into that nice new building. Big, authentic pits are hard to fit into modern restaurants, particularly when there are fire codes and landlord restrictions that must be met.

My view is that Underwoods was and Bill Miller's is overrated as BBQ places.

I actually didnt like the BBQ that much at Underwoods and always ordered the fried chicken. I do admit to feeling nostalgic here remembering eating at Underwoods about 32-33 years ago. I dont recall when it closed but I probably last went there in 91. I dont think it was open much longer from that time.
Robert Wilson
Had the Buzzard Billy's Q.

Pretty darn good. Not Guess or Helberg, but pretty good. Brisket queso worth a go.

River and lots of draft beer options both help.
1outawayBear
Robert Wilson said:

Pretty darn good. Not Guess or Helberg, but pretty good. Brisket queso worth a go.

I haven't been to buzzards in years. Is brisket on the menu now or is it a secret menu type thing?
Robert Wilson
1outawayBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

I haven't been to buzzards in years. Is brisket on the menu now or is it a secret menu type thing?
They have an entirely separate brisket menu. Weird in concept, but not bad in execution.

Kinda like how Diamondback's (steakhouse) has a sushi menu. Took me a while to get used to that one, too.
1outawayBear
Robert Wilson said:

1outawayBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

They have an entirely separate brisket menu. Weird in concept, but not bad in execution.

Kinda like how Diamondback's (steakhouse) has a sushi menu. Took me a while to get used to that one, too.

Interesting.
Robert Wilson
1outawayBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

1outawayBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

Interesting.
BBQ menu rather, not just brisket. But of course brisket is the #1 item, which I had.
1outawayBear
Made me try it lol

It's pretty good queso
william
the BMs is smaller.

c'mon man!

- el KKM

D!
>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
WacoKelly83
Had Helberg today. First time in over a year. Gotta say was not overly impressed. As Ssadler said in an earlier post, brisket was roast-like and had very little smoke, or mild smoke. Also very little S and P. Also at $30 a lb. was very pricey.

Ps: Hadn't been back in such along time because wife found a hair in her brisket and son found the same in his mac and cheese. She wouldn't go until now.
perrynative
Had one of these Thursday. Brisket and chicken were good to resl good. Sides were meh. Pisses me off when they charge you a different price than what they have posted.
joseywales
Volunteer said:

trey3216 said:

Volunteer said:

I've had brisket from Guess, Helberg, Jasper's, and just about all the joints in town. IMO the best brisket, by far, is at R&S on Richland Drive. Ribs are first rate too. If you haven't tried it, do so. You won't be sorry. My favorite is the fatty brisket.
I went and tried it today. Brisket was good, but in no way would I say it was as good as Guess or Helberg. Not enough bark (really needed more pepper) and I definitely could tell there was some regular charcoal and lighter fluid involved. Was tender and tasty, but those are subtleties I picked up on pretty quickly.
I'll agree that R&S has less bark. I'm not really a fan of the amount of pepper Helberg uses. To me, it overpowers the briskets natural flavor. But taste is a matter of....well.....personal taste.
Guess bbq is gross, Waco simply does not have a really high quality joint..I have not tried js so I will. went to Austin place where you have to wait three hours and it was amazing. Scoepp s in Belton is solid...has anyone tried Miller's in Belton?
RightRevBear
I live in the Temple area. Miller's is way better than Schoepf's.
trey3216
joseywales said:

Volunteer said:

trey3216 said:

Volunteer said:

I've had brisket from Guess, Helberg, Jasper's, and just about all the joints in town. IMO the best brisket, by far, is at R&S on Richland Drive. Ribs are first rate too. If you haven't tried it, do so. You won't be sorry. My favorite is the fatty brisket.
I went and tried it today. Brisket was good, but in no way would I say it was as good as Guess or Helberg. Not enough bark (really needed more pepper) and I definitely could tell there was some regular charcoal and lighter fluid involved. Was tender and tasty, but those are subtleties I picked up on pretty quickly.
I'll agree that R&S has less bark. I'm not really a fan of the amount of pepper Helberg uses. To me, it overpowers the briskets natural flavor. But taste is a matter of....well.....personal taste.
Guess bbq is gross, Waco simply does not have a really high quality joint..I have not tried js so I will. went to Austin place where you have to wait three hours and it was amazing. Scoepp s in Belton is solid...has anyone tried Miller's in Belton?

Not your only bad take on this site...
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BUbearinARK
trey3216 said:

joseywales said:

Volunteer said:

trey3216 said:

Volunteer said:

Probably witnessed a group saying grace before their meal. Suddenly became unpalatable.
1outawayBear
joseywales said:

Volunteer said:

trey3216 said:

Volunteer said:

Yea two top 50 bbq places are complete trash.

You know what actually is trash on par with Rudy's? The places you named in temple and belton
1outawayBear
BUbearinARK said:

trey3216 said:

joseywales said:

Volunteer said:

trey3216 said:

Volunteer said:

Probably witnessed a group saying grace before their meal. Suddenly became unpalatable.

My parents who lived in Austin and went to terry blacks, la bbq and franklins often love both helberg and guess and put them on par with them. I agree with them except for me, franklins brisket is on another level than anything I've ever had
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.