Land Clearing across from River Valley Intermediate ?

5,237 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BaylorGuy314
1outawayBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Curious if anyone knows if there is a master planned community going in there or what is being developed. Right off of speegleville, across from RVI? Saw it on my way to China Spring this morning
CorsicanaBear
There is a giant trailer hood back in there. Maybe somebody blocked it up.
cowboycwr
I haven't heard of anything going in there. There is land being cleared in Woodway not far from there on Poage that residents are upset with and the Trib has a story on it today.

Also, I did not realize Midway ISD is doing away with their intermediate schools.
loanbear
1outawayBear said:

Curious if anyone knows if there is a master planned community going in there or what is being developed. Right off of speegleville, across from RVI? Saw it on my way to China Spring this morning
It is a new subdivision. A builder I spoke to said it is going to be larger lots similar to Rancho Lorena if you are familiar with that subdivision.

Keep waiting to see some info on it because we are interested in possible purchase to a larger lot. We live in Twin Rivers currently.

Someone mentioned the mobile home community. This is down the road from that, a bit before you cross the middle bosque river bridge.
1outawayBear
loanbear said:

1outawayBear said:

It is a new subdivision. A builder I spoke to said it is going to be larger lots similar to Rancho Lorena if you are familiar with that subdivision.

Keep waiting to see some info on it because we are interested in possible purchase to a larger lot. We live in Twin Rivers currently.

Someone mentioned the mobile home community. This is down the road from that, a bit before you cross the middle bosque river bridge.

I live in Windsor village in twin rivers so know exactly what you are talking about. Interesting, those rancho Lorena lots are nice sized lots
1outawayBear
cowboycwr said:

I haven't heard of anything going in there. There is land being cleared in Woodway not far from there on Poage that residents are upset with and the Trib has a story on it today.

Also, I did not realize Midway ISD is doing away with their intermediate schools.

Going to standard elementary middle and Hs?
cowboycwr
1outawayBear said:

cowboycwr said:

Yes. They are turning one of the intermediates into an elementary and are building one and then adjusting attendance zones for all. Elementary will now be PK-5th. The second intermediate will turn into a middle school and the two middle schools will now be 6-8.

going to start next school year.
1outawayBear
cowboycwr said:

1outawayBear said:

cowboycwr said:

Yes. They are turning one of the intermediates into an elementary and are building one and then adjusting attendance zones for all. Elementary will now be PK-5th. The second intermediate will turn into a middle school and the two middle schools will now be 6-8.

Any idea what RVI is going to be?
cowboycwr
1outawayBear said:

cowboycwr said:

1outawayBear said:

cowboycwr said:

Any idea what RVI is going to be?
It is going to b RV middle now

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/education/midway-intermediate-schools-out-major-elementary-rezoning-for-next-year/article_d69dd8a8-119c-11ec-bed7-b765aa241505.html
CTbruin
loanbear said:

1outawayBear said:

Don't you mean South Bosque for mobile home park?
BaylorGuy314
It's going to be a very nice subdivision with oversized lots.
1outawayBear
BaylorGuy314 said:

It's going to be a very nice subdivision with oversized lots.

Cool. Will raise my property value!
1outawayBear
Any idea about a new midway zoned hs in Woodway?
BaylorGuy314
1outawayBear said:

Midway owns land in Speegleville for a future HS.
cowboycwr
1outawayBear said:

As stated above the district has land for a new HS but it sounds like many in the district want to avoid two hs because it will dilute everything, especially athletics
william
arby's?

PA.

- UL

... and, as always, TIA.

BID.

{ sipping coffee }
1outawayBear
cowboycwr said:

1outawayBear said:

As stated above the district has land for a new HS but it sounds like many in the district want to avoid two hs because it will dilute everything, especially athletics

If they were good in sports I'd understand. Doesn't make much sense when they aren't very good at anything of relevance. I would love a second high school out here. I think the folks who would vote against it would be those living in Hewitt

Just my take.

Thanks for info about lot location owned by midway isd
ursamajor
Midway has had a strong football program until the last two years. Has also consistently had a good baseball program. The golf teams have been very good as well, though I don't know that a split would have a major impact there.

And the arts programs are outstanding.

All of that gets diluted with a split, not to mention the obvious economic disparity that would exist between the two high schools that could have a negative impact on the community.

Not to mention Midway is on the smaller side of 6A schools, and they are in the process of adding a wing to the high school, and the cost of doubling all facilities would be considerable.

It may become necessary in the future, but I'd definitely prefer it to be later than sooner.
PartyBear
Not to derail but I have no idea what happened to Midway football it has been on the decline since the class of 18 graduated.
Weston Rogers
ursamajor said:

Midway has had a strong football program until the last two years.
We'll find out in a couple of days if UIL wants to stick Midway with Killeen/Temple schools plus others closer to Austin or leaves them in the gauntlet of Duncanville, Desoto, Cedar Hill, Waxahachie. If they're left in the DFW district then they won't be getting any better at football in the near future.
Robert Wilson
Weston Rogers said:

ursamajor said:

We'll find out in a couple of days if UIL wants to stick Midway with Killeen/Temple schools plus others closer to Austin or leaves them in the gauntlet of Duncanville, Desoto, Cedar Hill, Waxahachie. If they're left in the DFW district then they won't be getting any better at football in the near future.
Surely they'll get bumped back to the closer drive with the Bell County schools. Waco High, too, unless they drop to 5A. Any info on that?

Midway will get better no matter what. They're not going to beat Duncanville and DeSoto, but they will be better than they were last year. They've got more talent moving up. This was a bad combo of moving into the toughest district in the state and having an ebb in talent in the upper classes.
Weston Rogers
Robert Wilson said:

Weston Rogers said:

ursamajor said:

Surely they'll get bumped back to the closer drive with the Bell County schools. Waco High, too, unless they drop to 5A. Any info on that?

Midway will get better no matter what. They're not going to beat Duncanville and DeSoto, but they will be better than they were last year. They've got more talent moving up. This was a bad combo of moving into the toughest district in the state and having an ebb in talent in the upper classes.
Waco High is back down to 5A D1, and the only Bell County schools that are 6A are Temple/Killeen Harker Heights so that is why it's hard to judge where UIL places Midway. They might get a little more competitive in losses over the next couple of years, but they're not competing for playoffs or district titles in the DFW district.
1outawayBear
ursamajor said:

Midway has had a strong football program until the last two years. Has also consistently had a good baseball program. The golf teams have been very good as well, though I don't know that a split would have a major impact there.

And the arts programs are outstanding.

All of that gets diluted with a split, not to mention the obvious economic disparity that would exist between the two high schools that could have a negative impact on the community.

Not to mention Midway is on the smaller side of 6A schools, and they are in the process of adding a wing to the high school, and the cost of doubling all facilities would be considerable.

It may become necessary in the future, but I'd definitely prefer it to be later than sooner.

I would prefer two 5a schools like Belton has done. High level of athletics still, but more chances to play multiple sports.

I have 10 years before my kid will go to HS so hoping they build one out by us by then
Robert Wilson
Weston Rogers said:

Robert Wilson said:

Weston Rogers said:

ursamajor said:

Waco High is back down to 5A D1, and the only Bell County schools that are 6A are Temple/Killeen Harker Heights so that is why it's hard to judge where UIL places Midway. They might get a little more competitive in losses over the next couple of years, but they're not competing for playoffs or district titles in the DFW district.
That will be good for Waco High, Belton, and the others dropping to 5A.

Agree re: Midway.
PartyBear
How would Midway drop to 5A without the District building a second HS? (Which isnt happening this year). It is only growing and growing.
Bear Doc
How about we separate in to Woodway ISD and Hewitt ISD? That cool with everybody?
ursamajor
That's kind of interesting. I definitely think there is a too-big point, but I think it is still down the road aways. I'm not sure Midway would have two 5As at this point if you split the HS in half, but within a few years I expect it would. At the last alignment Midway had around 2400 students and the 5A bottom cutoff was 1300.

But the real advantage of the high school to me right now is that it brings together a relatively diverse set of kids and provides great opportunities athletically, artistically, and academically. It's got plenty of problems, but that is not an easy-to-come-by cocktail.

Robert Wilson
ursamajor said:

That's kind of interesting. I definitely think there is a too-big point, but I think it is still down the road aways. I'm not sure Midway would have two 5As at this point if you split the HS in half, but within a few years I expect it would. At the last alignment Midway had around 2400 students and the 5A bottom cutoff was 1300.
I'd rather have two good 4As than one 6A, but I suspect most people in Midway would disagree with me.
cowboycwr
1outawayBear said:

cowboycwr said:

1outawayBear said:

If they were good in sports I'd understand. Doesn't make much sense when they aren't very good at anything of relevance. I would love a second high school out here. I think the folks who would vote against it would be those living in Hewitt

Just my take.

The last two years they haven't been very good in football but before that they have been pretty good. What hurt them was going from one of the largest 4A/5A to one of the smallest 6A schools in the state.

And this could change Thursday when the new realignment comes out. If they can go back down it would help a lot.

I think many don't like the idea because they would go from a large 5A or 6A school to maybe two medium 4A schools or really small 5As
Weston Rogers
cowboycwr said:

1outawayBear said:

cowboycwr said:

1outawayBear said:

Just my take.

The last two years they haven't been very good in football but before that they have been pretty good. What hurt them was going from one of the largest 4A/5A to one of the smallest 6A schools in the state.

And this could change Thursday when the new realignment comes out. If they can go back down it would help a lot.

I think many don't like the idea because they would go from a large 5A or 6A school to maybe two medium 4A schools or really small 5As
The snapshot happened back in October, Midway is at almost 2600 students(about 300 students above the 6A threshold). They're never dropping back to 4A/5A without adding another HS.
Weston Rogers
Robert Wilson said:

Weston Rogers said:

Robert Wilson said:

Weston Rogers said:

ursamajor said:

I missed one in Bell County, Copperas Cove is 6A as well. So there's potential for a district that has:

Midway
Temple
Harker Heights
Copperas Cove
Hutto
Manor
Pflugerville Weiss

Midway would actually be the largest school in that district.
cowboycwr
Weston Rogers said:

cowboycwr said:

1outawayBear said:

cowboycwr said:

1outawayBear said:

Just my take.

The snapshot happened back in October, Midway is at almost 2600 students(about 300 students above the 6A threshold). They're never dropping back to 4A/5A without adding another HS.
True. But what I meant is their district could change. Getting a district with easier teams could help them improve.

Also, as the growth happens the cut off will increase which means will the growth in that area keep up with the cutoff. I could see Midway sliding down again one realignment cycle without a second high school. It isn't likely but it is a possibility.
FrankFallonCalling
Midway HS enrollment numbers keep increasing while the number of positions on the football/baseball/basketball, etc. teams remain fixed. Same with parts in plays, debate teams, orchestra chairs, etc. Simple math indicates that a lot of enthusiastic kids are getting left out. The more kids you can have meaningfully involved in extracurriculars, the better.

Having closely observed one massive district that made the decision to remain at one high school for the sake of football and band and comparing that to two other districts that made the difficult but ultimately rational decision to split, I don't really think that there is much of a debate as to the best course of action.
cowboycwr
Weston Rogers said:

Robert Wilson said:

Weston Rogers said:

Robert Wilson said:

Weston Rogers said:

ursamajor said:

I missed one in Bell County, Copperas Cove is 6A as well. So there's potential for a district that has:

Midway
Temple
Harker Heights
Copperas Cove
Hutto
Manor
Pflugerville Weiss

Midway would actually be the largest school in that district.
Another possible member (knowing how messed up UIL districts can be) Bryan.
ursamajor
Its my sense that kids are not getting left out of band or orchestra or theatre. That's not the nature of such programs.

The sports, yes, in a sense. But another football team means another 22 starters, at the expense of another football field, another practice facility, another football staff, etc. There are also several nearby high schools that fit the 4A-type mold if that's what people are looking for.

But the most significant thing to me is that it means an economically mixed student population with everyone having roughly the same opportunities gets divided. And you don't end up with two economically equal high school populations.

At some point it will be a necessity, based on overall population and class sizes, I'm sure though. With all the houses going up, it may hit that threshold within a couple of years.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.