Land Clearing China Spring Rd and Steinbeck Bend

5,430 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Moondoggie
CorsicanaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Land is being cleared on the south side of Steinbeck bend from China Spring road down to Rock Creek. The company is Wohog, LLC which looks to be connected to Realtor Ryan Gibson (maybe, not sure). Anybody know what is going in there?
MrGolfguy
Could it be another school? The new CS elementary on 2490 is sure going up fast; are there more new schools planned out there?
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
CorsicanaBear
Not a CS School. Bosqueville ISD.
william
arby's?

PA.

- UL

and, as always, TIA.

BID.
sipembeers
MrGolfguy said:

Could it be another school? The new CS elementary on 2490 is sure going up fast; are there more new schools planned out there?

Five years down the road
cowboycwr
Maybe it is the HEB I have heard rumors about being built in the China Spring area for about 20 years now......

Or just a shopping center of some sort? Seems like a busy intersection that could be a good location for an area without a lot of stores.

Surprised no one has any details on this or no signs are up advertising what it is.
CorsicanaBear
HEB owns the property at the intersection of 19th and Lakeshore across from the Valero where there was a shopping center. They have owned the property for ~15 years. They need to get on with it and build. North Waco/China Spring needs a grocery store.
loanbear
CorsicanaBear said:

HEB owns the property at the intersection of 19th and Lakeshore across from the Valero where there was a shopping center. They have owned the property for ~15 years. They need to get on with it and build. North Waco/China Spring needs a grocery store.
Can't believe they have not already done that.

I went in to the HEB on 19th street for the first time ever a few months to grab an item real quick since it was the closest store to an activity that day. That store makes the old Ghetto HEB by Baylor look like a Taj Mahal in comparison. Not some place I would ever shop, but I guess people on the North side don't really have another option.
Mike E
loanbear said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Can't believe they have not already done that.

I went in to the HEB on 19th street for the first time ever a few months to grab an item real quick since it was the closest store to an activity that day. That store makes the old Ghetto HEB by Baylor look like a Taj Mahal in comparison. Not some place I would ever shop, but I guess people on the North side don't really have another option.
It definitely could use an upgrade at minimum. I went there for the first time last year as well. It was the only HEB in town that I hadn't ever been to even though I've lived here most of my life. So we went just to do something different and try it out. Fun lol.
Yogi
The problem is while the Waco area is growing, it is growing much slower than the rest of the State.

So, the North Waco area keeps falling down the priority list as HEB expands its territories and grows in more rapidly growing areas than McLennan County.
cowboycwr
I was looking for the thread about the old FCS site and the development planned there and came across this one.

any update on what is happening at the location in the OP?
Sachimo
Okay, I see people bring up Arby's from time to time. I don't get the joke, can someone explain it?
Yogi
Sachimo said:

Okay, I see people bring up Arby's from time to time. I don't get the joke, can someone explain it?

Some people say "Arby's" stands for "Roast Beef".

The company will say it stands for "Raffel Brothers".

But we all know that it really stands for "Runny Bowels".

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Sachimo
Yogi said:

Sachimo said:

Some people say "Arby's" stands for "Roast Beef".

The company will say it stands for "Raffel Brothers".

But we all know that it really stands for "Runny Bowels".

I like Arby's. Just not the only one in Waco
TechDawgMc
Yogi said:

The problem is while the Waco area is growing, it is growing much slower than the rest of the State.

So, the North Waco area keeps falling down the priority list as HEB expands its territories and grows in more rapidly growing areas than McLennan County.
With HEB investing heavily into the Dallas market right now, I'm guessing priority for Waco is likely to stay low for a while.
TenBears
Sachimo said:

Its not that you dont get it. Its just never been very funny.
LIB,MR BEARS
CorsicanaBear said:

a person I know that worked at the 19th street store told me that HEB has no plans to build a new store anytime soon at Lakeshore and 19th. In fact, whenever work is completed at the Bosque and Wooded Acres store, they are supposed to expand the 19th and Parklake store. This individual told me HEB has a 78% market share in Waco and the expense of building a new store doesn't make sense at this time.

HEB is making a big investment in some of the faster growing areas of DFW. I believe a Frisco store is just about to open.
TechDawgMc
LIB,MR BEARS said:

CorsicanaBear said:

a person I know that worked at the 19th street store told me that HEB has no plans to build a new store anytime soon at Lakeshore and 19th. In fact, whenever work is completed at the Bosque and Wooded Acres store, they are supposed to expand the 19th and Parklake store. This individual told me HEB has a 78% market share in Waco and the expense of building a new store doesn't make sense at this time.

HEB is making a big investment in some of the faster growing areas of DFW. I believe a Frisco store is just about to open.

DMN had a big article a few weeks ago about HEB invading Dallas. Talked about how they became #1 in Houston and that they will likely patiently build to become that in Dallas. I suspect that will be the no 1 goal for a while.
Coke Bear
TechDawgMc said:

DMN had a big article a few weeks ago about HEB invading Dallas. Talked about how they became #1 in Houston and that they will likely patiently build to become that in Dallas. I suspect that will be the no 1 goal for a while.
I didn't get to read the article, but I've heard that 20+ years ago there was a gentleman's agreement that HEB would stay out of DFW and the other bigs would stay out of their markets.

I guess those days are over. They will kill it in Dallas.
trey3216
Coke Bear said:

TechDawgMc said:

I didn't get to read the article, but I've heard that 20+ years ago there was a gentleman's agreement that HEB would stay out of DFW and the other bigs would stay out of their markets.

I guess those days are over. They will kill it in Dallas.
HEB is a Dexter level calculated killer. They buy property in markets decades in advance and sit on it. They force competitors to spend spend spend out of fear that they will enter a market. Then when a competitor gets complacent, or has to go through a big change in philosophy, H-E-B enters the market and absolutely guts their competition like Dr Lector.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Coke Bear
trey3216 said:

HEB is a Dexter level calculated killer. They buy property in markets decades in advance and sit on it. They force competitors to spend spend spend out of fear that they will enter a market. Then when a competitor gets complacent, or has to go through a big change in philosophy, H-E-B enters the market and absolutely guts their competition like Dr Lector.
Makes sense.

I remember in 1982, HEB owned the land at Hewitt Dr. & 84 (they could have owned it longer. I moved to the area in '82.)

They didn't build the HEB until '91.

They know the long game.
BUAL
The HEB agreement was/is with Publix. They both stayed out of NOLA and that area. Friends so they don't have to compete
sipembeers
Multi family apartment complex.
trey3216
Coke Bear said:

trey3216 said:

Makes sense.

I remember in 1982, HEB owned the land at Hewitt Dr. & 84 (they could have owned it longer. I moved to the area in '82.)

They didn't build the HEB until '91.

They know the long game.
A guy I have an acquaintance with in the grocery business said he was on a conference call the other day with some big wigs from different purchasers and when talking about market share, the HEB guy said "when r talking about market share….we don't share." That's pretty much what it is.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Weston Rogers
sipembeers said:

This is not good for Bosqueville ISD... They will need more resources(more teachers, more support staff, possibly adding onto their facilities) which will put the burden on a pretty small tax base.
cowboycwr
Weston Rogers said:

sipembeers said:

This is not good for Bosqueville ISD... They will need more resources(more teachers, more support staff, possibly adding onto their facilities) which will put the burden on a pretty small tax base.
Depends on how large the apartment complex is and how many children there are in each grade level.

Is Bosqueville that full that adding a few kids per grade level from one apartment complex puts them over capacity?

I could understand if it was multiple complexes being built but one apartment complex doesn't seem like it should add that many students at each grade level to make the district overwhelmed.
Weston Rogers
cowboycwr said:

Weston Rogers said:

sipembeers said:

Depends on how large the apartment complex is and how many children there are in each grade level.

Is Bosqueville that full that adding a few kids per grade level from one apartment complex puts them over capacity?

I could understand if it was multiple complexes being built but one apartment complex doesn't seem like it should add that many students at each grade level to make the district overwhelmed.
The complex that was rumored to be going there back in 2016 was a 219 unit complex(not sure if that's still the number or if it dropped considerably), if you say on average there is just one school age child per unit that's a huge influx of kids to a very small district(currently 300ish total students).

Pea Weevil
Hugh new HEB recently opened in Frisco (pop 217,000). One more coming this year in Plano (pop 290,000) . Two more next year in McKinney (pop 208,000) and Allen (pop 120,000). I suspect it will be a while before the develop that site given there recent push into DFW. There are about a half dozen more stores planned for North Texas by 2024.
sipembeers
cowboycwr said:

Weston Rogers said:

sipembeers said:

Bosqueville is growing rapidly, not as fast a CS but to much for their current buildings. They have stopped accepting transfer at the start of this school year.
Moondoggie
Part of what makes bosqueville quaint is the lack of a cs level of development.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.