TX Sports HoF Idea

2,727 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Edmond Bear
FrankFallonCalling
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I took my preschool-aged kids to the Mayborn Museum today. It was hard to miss the disparity between the Mayborn parking lot (full) and the TSHOF's (empty). There may have been a temporary closure or something.

Baylor (especially SWC era) sports and high school football are neck and neck for first place in my sports heart. Obviously, I've always loved the TSHOF for that reason. It is a wonderland for me. But even among my sports fan friend groups, I recognize that my interests are a niche among niches.

My trip this morning got me thinking about what could be done to bolster attendance at a place I truly love. I am certain that this is an exercise that the TSHOF leadership have done a thousand times and I suspect that they have probably also considered the following idea and recognized it's fallacies. All of that said, here's my thought:

Sports bar.

Hear me out. I'm not saying convert the whole thing to a sports bar. Just find a vendor who would be willing to add one to the existing structure. Charge a couple of extra bucks to each ticket to allow museum admission to bar/restaurant patrons who opt in, or better yet roll it into the price of a bar/restaurant tab at a certain threshold.

It would immediately be the closest bar to campus by a wide margin and would kill it with law school traffic. On game days, it would be a destination. Most importantly, it would put museum patrons back on premises. Sure, you may forfeit some of the "family" vibe, but you honestly can't compete with the Mayborn for that. Embrace the adult market and make it the place to send dad and older siblings while the toddlers tootle around next door.

I am aware that museum leadership are unlikely to be a great fit for the restaurant business. I'm sure that zoning would be a huge hurdle. I know that food/drink service is always a gamble. But it really seems like there's not a lot to lose at this point.
vg1984
I noticed that the other day when we drove by there. I do like that idea, maybe they could add some more virtual games do like a simulation speed thing like they have at the Perot museum in Dallas. I am thinking like a espn fun area. That I think would get more people especially families into the museum. Just my two cents.
BaylorHistory
FrankFallonCalling said:

I took my preschool-aged kids to the Mayborn Museum today. It was hard to miss the disparity between the Mayborn parking lot (full) and the TSHOF's (empty). There may have been a temporary closure or something.

Baylor (especially SWC era) sports and high school football are neck and neck for first place in my sports heart. Obviously, I've always loved the TSHOF for that reason. It is a wonderland for me. But even among my sports fan friend groups, I recognize that my interests are a niche among niches.

My trip this morning got me thinking about what could be done to bolster attendance at a place I truly love. I am certain that this is an exercise that the TSHOF leadership have done a thousand times and I suspect that they have probably also considered the following idea and recognized it's fallacies. All of that said, here's my thought:

Sports bar.

Hear me out. I'm not saying convert the whole thing to a sports bar. Just find a vendor who would be willing to add one to the existing structure. Charge a couple of extra bucks to each ticket to allow museum admission to bar/restaurant patrons who opt in, or better yet roll it into the price of a bar/restaurant tab at a certain threshold.

It would immediately be the closest bar to campus by a wide margin and would kill it with law school traffic. On game days, it would be a destination. Most importantly, it would put museum patrons back on premises. Sure, you may forfeit some of the "family" vibe, but you honestly can't compete with the Mayborn for that. Embrace the adult market and make it the place to send dad and older siblings while the toddlers tootle around next door.

I am aware that museum leadership are unlikely to be a great fit for the restaurant business. I'm sure that zoning would be a huge hurdle. I know that food/drink service is always a gamble. But it really seems like there's not a lot to lose at this point.

I'm never against a bar, but is a license for that possible for what I assume is a non-profit?
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
FrankFallonCalling
vg1984 said:

I noticed that the other day when we drove by there. I do like that idea, maybe they could add some more virtual games do like a simulation speed thing like they have at the Perot museum in Dallas. I am thinking like a espn fun area. That I think would get more people especially families into the museum. Just my two cents.

Yeah it would be awesome to have some more interactive experiences and I think that a new potential revenue stream could help fund those.

I could definitely see a Babe Didrikson Zaharias Golden Tee and a George Foreman Punching Back arcade game. Dirk Nowitzki's Pop-A-Shot and Warren Moon 2 Minute Drill would be a good fit. The more tech-dependent experiences could be available pending funds.
FrankFallonCalling
BaylorHistory said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

Sports bar.

I'm never against a bar, but is a license for that possible for what I assume is a non-profit?
Complete novice with this stuff (probably already obvious), but how would it be different from TCU's club lounge? The museum already hosts tailgates with alcohol service prior to football games.
Nguyen One Soon
Ever hear of a VFW or American Legion hall?
BaylorHistory
Nguyen One Soon said:

Ever hear of a VFW or American Legion hall?
Good point. Also museums often have restaurants, but I'm not sure I've ever had a drink at one.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Also museums often have restaurants, but I'm not sure I've ever had a drink at one.
Restaurant at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola certainly has a bar.

Le Jardinier at the Houston Museum of Fine Arts has a great bar.

There are others, but those two come to mind quickly.
SSadler
Every kid in Central Texas wants to see the Mayborn dinosaur skeleton.

Non one of them wants to see an exhibit on Don Trull.

i think your plight is hopeless.
Lund Vernquist
Could/would TABC issue a license since it's within 300 feet of a school property?
FrankFallonCalling
Lund Vernquist said:

Could/would TABC issue a license since it's within 300 feet of a school property?

Thanks to Tommye Lou's wrecking ball, I don't think that there is a Baylor structure within 300 feet.
*unless you count the Garage Mahal
BUbearinARK
So back in the day when drug companies could do whatever the hell they wanted, at a meeting in DC Galderma rented out the whole freakin air and space museum with multiple food/drink stations. I never appreciated the Spirit of St. Louis quite so much. I vote yes.
Edmond Bear

Maybe offer a membership with "free" drinks with X drink limit. Want more? Buy 2 memberships.

T-REX
Lund Vernquist said:

The Buckle is currently the closest bar to campus and is at the corner of 5th & Bagby. Not 300ft close of course but still not very far from campus. Baylor doesn't have the same stranglehold they used to and never should have had. We need an entire bar strip near campus!

But yea make the hall of fame more fun!!!
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
FrankFallonCalling
T-REX said:

Lund Vernquist said:

The Buckle is currently the closest bar to campus and is at the corner of 5th & Bagby. Not 300ft close of course but still not very far from campus. Baylor doesn't have the same stranglehold they used to and never should have had. We need an entire bar strip near campus!

But yea make the hall of fame more fun!!!

I looked at the TABC regs the other day and it definitely looked to me as though the 300 foot rule only applies to K-12 institutions, with no such rule preventing bars from being located in proximity to colleges or universities.
BCL79
And ... if we could get scantily clad young women to wait tables .... WIN
Yogi
SSadler said:

Every kid in Central Texas wants to see the Mayborn dinosaur skeleton.

Non one of them wants to see an exhibit on Don Trull.

i think your plight is hopeless.

I think interstate 35 being a mess hasn't helped.

What if they moved it one day to a location where they could add a baseball diamond or football field to add more interactive exhibits for kids?
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Yogi
Footbar, Basketbar and Basebar.. . I like it!
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Edmond Bear

Has the Hooters Hall of Fame idea happened yet?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.