Brownstones, Park, Pocket Neighborhood at Floyd Casey site

7,591 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FrankFallonCalling
trey3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cowboycwr said:

DS Bear said:

More about the developer. Shane and Cody Turner were at Baylor in the early '00s, if any of y'all remember them. They developed Tinsley Place Apartments, Union Hall, UParks Village and West Bay. They split with Todd Behringer earlier this year, who gave the money for the Recruiting Lounge prior to connecting with the Turners. They also have a downtown redevelopment project underway in Temple

I don't envy them going to the City for a tax abatement these days. The public comments should be very interesting.
Didn't they also do a few other projects downtown? I feel like they were involved in some of the restaurants/bars down there before Union Hall. Like Austin on the Ave and some of those.
They helped design Austin's on the Ave, but didn't do all of it. They redid and opened the Hippodrome, that place that was an Art Gallery for several years, Jake's Tea House (Old Woolworth Building) and all the Offices above that, and quite a few other projects (The old Guaranty Bank Building on Austin is their office building now, beautiful old building).
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Iron Claw
Would this not be attractive to college students (whose parents can afford to buy them a house)? I can see sorority girls filling this place up.
T-REX
Iron Claw said:

Would this not be attractive to college students (whose parents can afford to buy them a house)? I can see sorority girls filling this place up.
possibly but depends on if they want to live that far from campus or not
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
whitetrash
T-REX said:

Iron Claw said:

Or if they want to live in close proximity to Rent-a-Tire and the Smoke Shop.
T-REX
whitetrash said:

T-REX said:

Iron Claw said:

Or if they want to live in close proximity to Rent-a-Tire and the Smoke Shop.
I mean there is a smoke shop literally across the street from campus so prolly not a concern
Baylor MBA 2023
cowboycwr
Bump.

Saw a Waco Trib article today about this going to a vote for TIF money but can't link the article as it is behind a paywall.
Redbrickbear
Iron Claw said:

To far from campus.
1outawayBear
Redbrickbear said:

Iron Claw said:

To far from campus.
Too*
Bear2014
would a community like this do well in Waco? I cant imagine Beverly Hills thriving with a community like this. Maybe i am wrong.. great thought though.

Also, i am not a subscriber to the Trib, so i cannot read the full article, unfortunately
T-REX
Bear2014 said:

would a community like this do well in Waco? I cant imagine Beverly Hills thriving with a community like this. Maybe i am wrong.. great thought though.

Also, i am not a subscriber to the Trib, so i cannot read the full article, unfortunately
why wouldn't it thrive? It's not for the kind if person currently living in that area in my opinion. It's goal is to attracted new residents. Waco needs things like this to help continue spuring growth
Baylor MBA 2023
CTbruin
It it's a Turner Bros project, it will be outstanding. We are fortunate to have them in McLennan Co.
Redbrickbear
CTbruin said:

It it's a Turner Bros project, it will be outstanding. We are fortunate to have them in McLennan Co.
Hi Cody
trey3216
Redbrickbear said:

CTbruin said:

Hi Cody

Definitely not Cody, or Shane, or anyone in their family.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Redbrickbear
trey3216 said:

Redbrickbear said:

CTbruin said:

Hi Cody

Definitely not Cody, or Shane, or anyone in their family.
Oh yea I'm sure its not...just joking.
Edmond Bear
"Plans include 58 brownstones, 72 more zero-lot-line town homes, and 33 "cottages" on lots ranging from 5,850 to 6,500 square feet, valued at $156,800.

Larger lots will go to 27 homes on 6,500- to 7,500-square-foot lots, valued at $194,000.

Another 54 homes are planned on lots from 8,000 to 11,000 square feet, valued at no less than $194,000.

Plans also call for 10 homes on lots between 13,000 and 15,000 square feet, along with five homes on lots between 18,000 and 20,000 square feet, valued at $384,000."

Redbrickbear
Edmond Bear said:

"Plans include 58 brownstones, 72 more zero-lot-line town homes, and 33 "cottages" on lots ranging from 5,850 to 6,500 square feet, valued at $156,800.

Larger lots will go to 27 homes on 6,500- to 7,500-square-foot lots, valued at $194,000.

Another 54 homes are planned on lots from 8,000 to 11,000 square feet, valued at no less than $194,000.

Plans also call for 10 homes on lots between 13,000 and 15,000 square feet, along with five homes on lots between 18,000 and 20,000 square feet, valued at $384,000."

Looks cool.

Hope it's successful.
Old300Bear
Lubbock has something similar.

https://vintagetownship.net/
Fred Barber
Edmond Bear
Old300Bear said:

How can you tell when it's covered with dirt?
BUbearinARK
Edmond Bear said:

Old300Bear said:

How can you tell when it's covered with dirt?

They can be seen briefly just after the yearly rain storm
Old300Bear
Half of Oklahoma looks just the same.
Fred Barber
Old300Bear
looks like the city is opting in

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/waco-council-set-to-ink-47-5m-deal-with-floyd-casey-developers/article_65a61ba6-3874-11ed-8f84-f78b60cda091.html#tracking-source=mp-homepage
FrankFallonCalling
Does it look like they are planning to dam Waco Creek to create a small lake?

The current rec proposal has canoe and kayak rentals. As I recall, the current creek can just barely wet your ankles.
BUbearinARK
FrankFallonCalling said:

The current rec proposal has canoe and kayak rentals. As I recall, the current creek can just barely wet your ankles.
I just clicked on the orig article. Noticed this rendering of the park and 'lake waco creek'

FrankFallonCalling
BUbearinARK said:

FrankFallonCalling said:

I just clicked on the orig article. Noticed this rendering of the park and 'lake waco creek'

Yep.

I tried to click through the city council presentation video linked at the bottom to see if they mentioned what I would imagine to be a pretty huge infrastructure undertaking, but I didnt hear anything mentioned beyond "creek improvements."
Edmond Bear

They also mentioned a master trail plan that is coming that will connect this park, downtown and other areas. I guess they would run it next to Waco Creek from 32nd to 16th. Don't know how you get from 16th to downtown - maybe jog it over to Franklin and use one of it's many excess lanes?

There is a set of railroad tracks that runs next to the creek that is still in use. That would be a challenge.

And, security will be a huge challenge. You'd have to patrol constantly.

Would be interested in more information on the trail plan if anyone has anything.

Boernebear
There has been a plan in the works for awhile to create a more pedestrian focused path along Mary Ave from downtown to the new park area that is part of the Floyd Casey site. This includes some sections of Mary near the railroad tracks where the road doesn't exist today. It also includes the old Cotton Belt bridge being converted into a pedestrian amenity downtown as well.

It's a pretty extensive project that will take years to complete, but I love the concept.
Twitter: @BoerneBear | #SicEm
FrankFallonCalling
Boernebear said:

There has been a plan in the works for awhile to create a more pedestrian focused path along Mary Ave from downtown to the new park area that is part of the Floyd Casey site. This includes some sections of Mary near the railroad tracks where the road doesn't exist today. It also includes the old Cotton Belt bridge being converted into a pedestrian amenity downtown as well.

It's a pretty extensive project that will take years to complete, but I love the concept.

Here's an article about the Mary Street Bridge dream from a few years ago.

EDIT: Forgot to post the article https://wacotrib.com/business/19th-century-rail-bridge-stars-in-animation-of-future-brazos-river-promenade/article_e7b3c6b2-6116-5576-a838-fd4ec19d163f.html

If you've been to the Highline in NYC or the 606 in Chicago and you have a really active imagination, you might be able to see how it could work. Would love it as an alternate outdoor location for football and basketball pregames.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.