New buildings in front of Cinemark/Main Event?

16,349 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by baylrballa
T-REX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cowboycwr said:

I have never been in a Costco so I know very little about them but..... what the heck do they have that a drive from College Station to Cypress would be worth (even when gas was cheap) that you couldn't get at a local store/Amazon??????

And if they are basically just another Sam's club since several have seemed to compare the two then I ask again..... what do they have that would be worth the drive????

Sam's club has nothing worth my time to drive from to the other side of Waco (even before construction) and pay for a membership for.
they are the exact same thing as a Sam's club. As for what they have that is worth the drive, I'd say nothing is worth the 95 mile drive. But across town? Depends on your personal needs. Lot of businesses use them/Sam's for bulk supplies. And many people like buying things in bulk
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
trey3216
T-REX said:

cowboycwr said:

I have never been in a Costco so I know very little about them but..... what the heck do they have that a drive from College Station to Cypress would be worth (even when gas was cheap) that you couldn't get at a local store/Amazon??????

And if they are basically just another Sam's club since several have seemed to compare the two then I ask again..... what do they have that would be worth the drive????

Sam's club has nothing worth my time to drive from to the other side of Waco (even before construction) and pay for a membership for.
they are the exact same thing as a Sam's club. As for what they have that is worth the drive, I'd say nothing is worth the 95 mile drive. But across town? Depends on your personal needs. Lot of businesses use them/Sam's for bulk supplies. And many people like buying things in bulk
Yep. You'd be surprised how much you can save annually buying toilet paper, paper towels, and other goods that are pretty standard in bulk. I have kids so I buy diapers through Sam's as well. last year, even without shopping there much, I saved about $200 from retail prices and got an additional $50 in Sam's cash savings to be used, so $250 in total. I buy the business membership, so I paid -$150 for my membership after all was said and done.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Booboo Bear
I'd like a Costco, but only because I'm getting old, and they sell cheap hearing aids.

(Don't bother replying to this post; I won't be able to hear you anyways.)
BUbearinARK
Walmart=sams

Target=costco

Same $h1t, different packaging.
BCL79
Costco has a cult following. Some of their house brands are rated highly by consumer groups. Me? I have been a Sam's customer for 25 years, but now my kids are out of the house and it's just my wife and me. The BCS Costco is much closer to our south CS home so I may cancel Sam's and pick up a Costco membership for a while. But, the quantity purchases aren't nearly as often as in our past with teenage boys at home. Besides, much of the stuff I buy at Sam's is actually cheaper at Target or even HEB. I always shop the prices before wasting money on 50 rolls of TP. Gas is the same price at HEB, usually. So, not a lot of benefit if you really compare.
PartyBear
Anything new to reveal about the plans for the 250 acres across 35 from Central Texas Marketplace and Cineplex area?
Yogi
cowboycwr said:

The new Costco is in College Station down by Saltgrass.

I saw it when I was driving through from Houston last month.

Lubbock and College Station both have Costco's, so Costco seems to still be interested in the mid-sized markets.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
cowboycwr
Looks like there is something else being worked on in front of Cinemark. Probably another small strip of shops.

Also, at the back end of the land past Top Golf along New Road there is a large tract of land all torn up being worked on. No sign of what is going in but I remember seeing a news story about an apartment company planning to build apartments in the cinemark/top golf land.
osogreen
WacoKelly83 said:

BearlyBeloved said:

Brian Ethridge said:

whitetrash said:

MrGolfguy said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Things we don't need more of in Waco:

Nail Salons
Banks
Mexican Restaurants
Vape Shops

Car washes
Cell phone stores
Massage spas
Pawn stores
Aggies

Californians...lol. No, seriously..
The wife and I stopped in a brew pub near the Circle this past weekend. Three couples in their 40s-50s age range came in independently. Come to find out all had moved to Waco in the past year.....from California. All apparently brought a sack full of cash with them from selling their homes in the Golden State.
cowboycwr
I saw in the trib the other day that Starbucks is building a new location in Hewitt at the Sun Valley/ Spring Valley Exit in front of the new Atwoods.

I also heard that Robinson is getting a McDonald's. There is construction across the street from Brookshires that looks like a fast food place and I guess that is it.
Yogi
cowboycwr said:

I saw in the trib the other day that Starbucks is building a new location in Hewitt at the Sun Valley/ Spring Valley Exit in front of the new Atwoods.

I also heard that Robinson is getting a McDonald's. There is construction across the street from Brookshires that looks like a fast food place and I guess that is it.

Yes.
Yogi
Black Rifle, Whataburger, Willie's, and Cotton Patch to Cinemark.
cowboycwr
Cotton patch has needed to move for a long time. That end of valley mills doesn't get much traffic (in terms of restaurant traffic) as there isn't much there.

PartyBear
cowboycwr said:

I just noticed a Dutch Brothers opened in Woodway next to the Walgreens on Estates. I literally just noticed it yesterday. I swear it wasn't there a week ago the last time I sat at the red light at that intersection. I had not heard one was going in there either.
Bear Doc
PartyBear said:

cowboycwr said:

I just noticed a Dutch Brothers opened in Woodway next to the Walgreens on Estates. I literally just noticed it yesterday. I swear it wasn't there a week ago the last time I sat at the red light at that intersection. I had not heard one was going in there either.

Not quite open yet. Their buildings are modular. The whole building was put up in literally one day.
Mike E
cowboycwr said:

Cotton patch has needed to move for a long time. That end of valley mills doesn't get much traffic (in terms of restaurant traffic) as there isn't much there.

It's on Bosque
trey3216
cowboycwr said:

Cotton Patch has needed to be moved out to pasture for years.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
PartyBear
trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

Cotton Patch has needed to be moved out to pasture for years.

Well…I wish no ill will to the place and there is another thread in that topic. That said it isn't exactly a popular place to eat in Waco. Im surprised they have survived this long. No one talks about it. It doesn't seem busy the times I have driven by it over the past 12 - 15 or so years. It certainly doesn't need a second location and if the real plan is to just relocate that one, I'm not sure it will do much better with the competition in that area where the new one is going.

Btw what is the latest on the property across 35 from Central Texas Market place?
cowboycwr
Mike E said:

cowboycwr said:

It's on Bosque

And how far off valley mills is it? Less than one block.

So what I said is absolutely right.
CorsicanaBear
CP not a problem with location. Problem is the facility has not been touched in 25 years and it's worn out, ugly and not clean looking. On top of that, the management there is awful and/or absent. The menu is fine and, as a comfort food joint, would stand up well and the location is well traveled (Target, HEB, adjacent office buildings) and could build a decent lunch traffic if the place didn't gross you out when you walked in the door.

It's like Fudrucker's. That place has not been touched in 40 years and the menu could draw a lunch crowd if executed properly and if you weren't afraid to sit down in a chair or even walk on the floor.

Many restaurants in Waco are like this where the owners just refuse to reinvest, Jason's Deli is another fast casual example. Both Diamond Backs and 135 Prime are also examples. No updates to dining rooms in a generation.
Yogi
cowboycwr said:

My understanding is that CP is not moving, but opening a second location.
Yogi
CorsicanaBear said:

CP not a problem with location. Problem is the facility has not been touched in 25 years and it's worn out, ugly and not clean looking. On top of that, the management there is awful and/or absent. The menu is fine and, as a comfort food joint, would stand up well and the location is well traveled (Target, HEB, adjacent office buildings) and could build a decent lunch traffic if the place didn't gross you out when you walked in the door.

It's like Fudrucker's. That place has not been touched in 40 years and the menu could draw a lunch crowd if executed properly and if you weren't afraid to sit down in a chair or even walk on the floor.

Many restaurants in Waco are like this where the owners just refuse to reinvest, Jason's Deli is another fast casual example. Both Diamond Backs and 135 Prime are also examples. No updates to dining rooms in a generation.

That's Lake Air for you. ABUELITO'S looks like Pancho's circa 1986.
1outawayBear
Saw hawks hot chicken near viteks is for sale
baylrballa
1outawayBear said:

Saw hawks hot chicken near viteks is for sale

they opened at such a terrible time for that area.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.