New buildings in front of Cinemark/Main Event?

16,293 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by baylrballa
trey3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

I'm not exactly sure what that even means to be honest. Is the purchaser a corporation or an individual? Does "not more of the same" mean just " fancier stores and restaurants?
There's a primary investor with a group of junior partners. Individuals, not a corporation. Primary investor is in TX, some of the junior partners are out of state.

"Not more of the same" was what I was told from the guy I know, because he can't really say much else right now. But he's one I'd take at his word for sure. Said what they're wanting to do is completely different than what has been done over the last 10 years, and is going to be a great investment for them as well as for the local community. That's all I've got right now.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
PartyBear
Well...back in 2019 the property ( I think the tract was larger back then) was sold to a shell company for someone so the identity and specific plans would be a secret until announced. The only thing known was vaguely and that it was the entertainment industry and that the property would be developed in phases. There were were all sorts of negotiations for tax breaks (including sales tax breaks they would get to keep for their own infrastructure) given to the company from the local governments. The local government officials all stated to the media they did not even know the mystery company they were dealing with. The company agreed to handle all infrastracture on the property and even beautifyiing the portions of the interstate and 340 that run by the property. It sounded like some national entertainment brand was coming in. Then low and behold the big announcement was another axe throwing joint and then no shovel hit the ground for even that. The 2019 situation was like an episode of *****t's Creek. So forgive my skepticism. Not of your friend but of the folks giving him info.
Booboo Bear
trey3216 said:

PartyBear said:

I'm not exactly sure what that even means to be honest. Is the purchaser a corporation or an individual? Does "not more of the same" mean just " fancier stores and restaurants?
There's a primary investor with a group of junior partners. Individuals, not a corporation. Primary investor is in TX, some of the junior partners are out of state.

"Not more of the same" was what I was told from the guy I know, because he can't really say much else right now. But he's one I'd take at his word for sure. Said what they're wanting to do is completely different than what has been done over the last 10 years, and is going to be a great investment for them as well as for the local community. That's all I've got right now.
Welcome to . . . Las Wacoinas.
trey3216
PartyBear said:

Well...back in 2019 the property ( I think the tract was larger back then) was sold to a shell company for someone so the identity and specific plans would be a secret until announced. The only thing known was vaguely and that it was the entertainment industry and that the property would be developed in phases. There were were all sorts of negotiations for tax breaks (including sales tax breaks they would get to keep for their own infrastructure) given to the company from the local governments. The local government officials all stated to the media they did not even know the mystery company they were dealing with. The company agreed to handle all infrastracture on the property and even beautifyiing the portions of the interstate and 340 that run by the property. It sounded like some national entertainment brand was coming in. Then low and behold the big announcement was another axe throwing joint and then no shovel hit the ground for even that. The 2019 situation was like an episode of *****t's Creek. So forgive my skepticism. Not of your friend but of the folks giving him info.
THe person giving him info is the primary investor in the property.
Yogi
cowboycwr said:

I saw an article in the waco trib but couldn't read it because of the pay wall about the other side of the interstate and that land being sold for development.

Anyone read that? Any details in the article about what it was?
Dallas developer. He is developing the entire lot. It will be multi-use development. Nothing specific. Maybe some residential.
cowboycwr
PartyBear said:

Someone posted the article on another thread. It doesnt say much other than a tract of land about 250 acres in size was sold to a Dallas developer. I imagine more restaurants and shopping or perhaps a subdivision.
Thanks. I guess I missed that but went back and saw it.

To me it was not much different than many of the other trib, kwtx, etc articles over the years about development updates that basically just say "something" is in the works.

Sort of like the riverfront development that was announced like every year or two that even had a video one time but then nothing happened until the last year or so when things started being torn down and hotels built along U Parks. Of course none of it was anything that was in any of those river development plans.

I will wait until more is announced about what this area will be.

Also, was this for the land north of 6 or south of 6? Both sides have been up for sale/development before.
trey3216
cowboycwr said:

PartyBear said:

Someone posted the article on another thread. It doesnt say much other than a tract of land about 250 acres in size was sold to a Dallas developer. I imagine more restaurants and shopping or perhaps a subdivision.
Thanks. I guess I missed that but went back and saw it.

To me it was not much different than many of the other trib, kwtx, etc articles over the years about development updates that basically just say "something" is in the works.

Sort of like the riverfront development that was announced like every year or two that even had a video one time but then nothing happened until the last year or so when things started being torn down and hotels built along U Parks. Of course none of it was anything that was in any of those river development plans.

I will wait until more is announced about what this area will be.

Also, was this for the land north of 6 or south of 6? Both sides have been up for sale/development before.
The "Northeast" corner of the 6/35 interchange
PartyBear
Incidentally I think there is about 750 acres vacant across 340 from the land discussed here. However it is zoned for being an industrial park unless that has recently changed.
whitetrash
PartyBear said:

Incidentally I think there is about 750 acres vacant across 340 from the land discussed here. However it is zoned for being an industrial park unless that has recently changed.
IIRC the SEcorner of 6 and 35 is in City of Robinson (they have a water tower across from Hillcrest) and I think is zoned for an industrial park. The other 3 corners are in City of Waco: CT Marketplace, Legends Crossing, and the tract that just changed hands.

A sidenote to this development gossip is that there is no retail, dining or entertainment on the east side of 35 from the Brazos southward, except for the area around the Circle. All of the narrow commercial development on the campus side of 35 (Ivy Square, IHOP, the LaQuinta/Denny's/Clay Pot, etc.) is gone except for Pizza Hut at 8th and Scholtzsky's/Hawks/Fuego at 18th. Everything else has been developed on the west or "town" side of 35 (CT Marketplace, Cottonwood Market, old University HS area, HEB, all the fast food places across from campus). The only commercial developments east of I-35 and south of Texas Roadhouse cater to I-35 passthrough traffic: a motel at New Rd and a McDonald's, Pilot and motel at Sun Valley. There has been nothing to draw local customers across I-35 for retail or entertainment. Plus, the NE corner has little accessibility coming from "town" (either E on 6 or S or 35), unless they have direct access to New Road. It might take something as big as a Costco to draw people to the other side of the freeway.
cowboycwr
The Southeast side is in Robinson.

There was a story in the Trib about a week or two ago about how there was a new road going to be built right next to the water tower that would go back to Greig Drive. The article made it sound like it would be right across from Corporation parkway (the road between Hillcrest and Tractor Supply) and that it was being built to provide a back entrance/exit to that land for future development.

I know the issue with that plot of land for years was also the fact that Robinson was dry and that kept any restaurants away.

But I do find it interesting that the majority of development has all been on the west side of 35. I think part of that is due to the fact that there has been more land to tear down and develop while the east side has more already there that isn't going anywhere.

Just recently a large tract of land had all the trees cut down right before new road from the frontage road all the way back to the apartments and a for sale sign put up
SIC EM 94
whitetrash said:

PartyBear said:

IIRC the SEcorner of 6 and 35 is in City of Robinson (they have a water tower across from Hillcrest) and I think is zoned for an industrial park. The other 3 corners are in City of Waco: CT Marketplace, Legends Crossing, and the tract that just changed hands.

A sidenote to this development gossip is that there is no retail, dining or entertainment on the east side of 35 from the Brazos southward, except for the area around the Circle. All of the narrow commercial development on the campus side of 35 (Ivy Square, IHOP, the LaQuinta/Denny's/Clay Pot, etc.) is gone except for Pizza Hut at 8th and Scholtzsky's/Hawks/Fuego at 18th. Everything else has been developed on the west or "town" side of 35 (CT Marketplace, Cottonwood Market, old University HS area, HEB, all the fast food places across from campus). The only commercial developments east of I-35 and south of Texas Roadhouse cater to I-35 passthrough traffic: a motel at New Rd and a McDonald's, Pilot and motel at Sun Valley. There has been nothing to draw local customers across I-35 for retail or entertainment. Plus, the NE corner has little accessibility coming from "town" (either E on 6 or S or 35), unless they have direct access to New Road. It might take something as big as a Costco to draw people to the other side of the freeway.

Cupp's and Vitek's say hi!
PartyBear
I think it is the other way around. 35 was built just to the west of those two places.
T-REX
SIC EM 94 said:

whitetrash said:

PartyBear said:

and the still fairly new retail strip across the street from viteks. Barefoot Outfitters and Jimmy John's love their home
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
cowboycwr
SIC EM 94 said:

whitetrash said:

PartyBear said:

Both of those have been there a long time and he was talking about development, as in new stuff.
cowboycwr
T-REX said:

SIC EM 94 said:

whitetrash said:

PartyBear said:

and the still fairly new retail strip across the street from viteks. Barefoot Outfitters and Jimmy John's love their home
Both of those are targeted towards BU students or at minimum alum coming into town for a game, graduation, etc.

I wouldn't really call either of those spots for people in town or driving though on the interstate.
T-REX
cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

SIC EM 94 said:

whitetrash said:

PartyBear said:

Both of those are targeted towards BU students or at minimum alum coming into town for a game, graduation, etc.

I wouldn't really call either of those spots for people in town or driving though on the interstate.
doesn't matter, the user said nothing has been built which is false
Baylor MBA 2023
Redbrickbear
Yogi said:

I am pretty sure that one of the pads is for Willie's Icehouse.

Nice
Marlin3030
BearlyBeloved said:

Brian Ethridge said:

whitetrash said:

MrGolfguy said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Things we don't need more of in Waco:

Nail Salons
Banks
Mexican Restaurants
Vape Shops

Car washes
Cell phone stores
Massage spas
Pawn stores
Aggies

Ouch.
Yogi
Looks like a strip center for retail now.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
T-REX
Yogi said:

Looks like a strip club
Baylor MBA 2023
PartyBear
Anything new to share about the plans for the 250 or so acres across 35 from the Cinemark and Central Texas Marketplace, which was discussed here about a month ago?
Edmond Bear
PartyBear said:

Anything new to share about the plans for the 250 or so acres across 35 from the Cinemark and Central Texas Marketplace, which was discussed here about a month ago?

According to T-REX, it's a 250 acre strip club.
BaylorHistory
PartyBear said:

As a kid I thought it was the perfect location for a Six Flags.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
T-REX
BaylorHistory said:

PartyBear said:

As a kid I thought it was the perfect location for a Six Flags.
everything seems bigger when we are kids, especially farm land on the side of i35
Baylor MBA 2023
T-REX
Edmond Bear said:

PartyBear said:

the mile long all you can eat buffet is sure to attract the after church crowd.
Baylor MBA 2023
Yogi
Edmond Bear said:

PartyBear said:

Too Manys?
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
BUbearinARK
Yogi said:

Edmond Bear said:

PartyBear said:

Too Manys?
That would be a drag
Bear Doc
PartyBear said:

So there are Costcos now about 90 miles in each direction from Waco. Would only make sense that Waco would be on their radar. They would kill across from the Cinemark/Main Event/Top Golf....
Coke Bear
Bear Doc said:

PartyBear said:

So there are Costcos now about 90 miles in each direction from Waco. Would only make sense that Waco would be on their radar. They would kill across from the Cinemark/Main Event/Top Golf....
A Costco on this side of town would be wonderful.

I work about 4 miles or so north of the Sam's in Waco. I drive past it everyday. It's generally crowded and the construction in the area hasn't made it better.

It would be nice to have an option on the south side of town.
PartyBear
That story reads like a joke. There are multiple Costco's about 95 miles from Waco in DFW and Austin I imagine. Why is a new one 95 miles a way a headline?
Bear Doc
PartyBear said:

That story reads like a joke. There are multiple Costco's about 95 miles from Waco in DFW and Austin I imagine. Why is a new one 95 miles a way a headline?
I wanted to think they were trying to foreshadow them coming to Waco? I have no clue. The headline seems a bit misleading. I was also surprised at the level of detail of the article with quotes and everything from a Waco reporter about something 100 miles away...
Coke Bear
Bear Doc said:

PartyBear said:

I wanted to think they were trying to foreshadow them coming to Waco? I have no clue. The headline seems a bit misleading. I was also surprised at the level of detail of the article with quotes and everything from a Waco reporter about something 100 miles away...
I did a quick search and the author, Alex Miller, works for the BCS Eagle.

From the article ...

Natalie Ruiz, the city of College Station's chief development officer, said the city started working on a retail recruitment program in 2016 to form a strategic plan to fill retail gaps in the College Station market. She said city officials looked at which retailers and restaurants residents went out of town and bought from online to recruit them to College Station. Ruiz said Costco was always at the top of the list based on its impact on a community.

"Costco is one of those major international retailers that is a regional draw," Ruiz said. "They don't just draw from College Station or Bryan or even Hearne or Navasota. They really pull from a much larger range, so being able to have that draw here in College Station, to service folks within really an hour's drive of here. When we were first visiting with Costco, the new store that they opened up in the Cypress area off of [Highway] 290, they were pulling a lot of folks from this area that went down there and shopped on a regular basis.

"So having them here locally and being able to service that large of a region, it brings folks in that may not be shopping here on a regular basis to not only shop at Costco, but eat at our restaurants, shop at some of our other locations. It's a regional draw unlike some of the other retailers that we have."

I wonder if this was printed as a subtle knock on the Waco Chamber.
Mike E
Bear Doc said:

PartyBear said:

"Just" 95 miles away.. okay.. lol.

I agree weird headline. But I like your take that it may mean Waco is in good position for one some day.
BylrFan
I see a second Sam's club before I see a Costco tbh

I think a Costco was supposed to open in Georgetown as well (72 miles)
cowboycwr
I have never been in a Costco so I know very little about them but..... what the heck do they have that a drive from College Station to Cypress would be worth (even when gas was cheap) that you couldn't get at a local store/Amazon??????

And if they are basically just another Sam's club since several have seemed to compare the two then I ask again..... what do they have that would be worth the drive????

Sam's club has nothing worth my time to drive from to the other side of Waco (even before construction) and pay for a membership for.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.