The DJ at Magic Music has passed.

4,764 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by djboomer
Yogi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was a little young during this era, but I know many of my friends who attended Baylor or lived in Waco from the late 1970's tp the early 1980's remember Ronnie well.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/wacotrib/name/ronnie-mcdaniels-obituary?id=34761557
jbbear
Yogi said:

I was a little young during this era, but I know many of my friends who attended Baylor or lived in Waco from the late 1970's tp the early 1980's remember Ronnie well.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/wacotrib/name/ronnie-mcdaniels-obituary?id=34761557
Good ole Tragics!
CorsicanaBear
I went there a number of times my freshman year. The fact that I was only 17 did not matter to the guy at the door.

Where was it? I can't remember (a more and more common occurrence).
Liteitup
25th Street, right up from the theater, other side of the street. They had two sides, over 18 and under, at least for a while. Separated by glass or plexiglass maybe?
CorsicanaBear
Yep, was definitely not in the under 18 area. Just showed BU id and got right in. Thanks for telling me where it was.
Bexar Pitts
Before the club moved to it's 25th St. location, it was located downtown. IIRC, it was in an old building between Austin and Washington..maybe on 8th or 9th..I'm not sure of the exact spot, but I went many times downtown. They too were divided into 2 sections by age groups.The exact years escape me, but I want to say early 70's.
whitetrash
Bexar Pitts said:

Before the club moved to it's 25th St. location, it was located downtown. IIRC, it was in an old building between Austin and Washington..maybe on 8th or 9th..I'm not sure of the exact spot, but I went many times downtown. They too were divided into 2 sections by age groups.The exact years escape me, but I want to say early 70's.
Original location was 800 Washington, what is now First Financial's HQ (across the street from the former bank building that is now BU Social Work). IIRC both the original location and the location a half block E of 25th street were both former Safeway grocery stores; the downtown store shut down in the mid/late 60s, and the 25th st store was replaced by the bigger one at 25th & Bosque that has been a steady string of Mexican Supermercados.

When the 25th st location burned, wasn't it replaced with a corrugated metal structure? I don't go that way much any more and can't remember.
Bexar Pitts
whitetrash said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Original location was 800 Washington, what is now First Financial's HQ (across the street from the former bank building that is now BU Social Work). IIRC both the original location and the location a half block E of 25th street were both former Safeway grocery stores; the downtown store shut down in the mid/late 60s, and the 25th st store was replaced by the bigger one at 25th & Bosque that has been a steady string of Mexican Supermercados.

When the 25th st location burned, wasn't it replaced with a corrugated metal structure? I don't go that way much any more and can't remember.
Thanks for the refresher! I believe you're correct on all counts on the 8th and Washington location. I don't go out 25th much either, so I'm not any help there. Lo siento.
Liteitup
I wasn't aware it had previously been downtown, cool info. As a MHS student living in the country near Hewitt, I was fairly insulated from the evil ways of the world. Probably by design on the part of my parents. Once I got my driver's license things changed and the world opened up, much to their chagrin.
william
went there once .......

- kkm

..... uncts.

RIP MM DJ!

:bow:

lennybrucewasnotafraidnopenosirreebobtail.....
PartyBear
whitetrash said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Was the Safeway store at 800 Washington torn down and replaced by the current building at the location? I'm remembering the current building there as rather small for a grocery store. But I think grocery stores were not just rather huge as they are now perhaps. The building that housed the HEB on 18th and Austin around the same time period though does seem quite larger than the 800 Washington building if I'm remembering correctly.
whitetrash
PartyBear said:

whitetrash said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Was the Safeway store at 800 Washington torn down and replaced by the current building at the location? I'm remembering the current building there as rather small for a grocery store. But I think grocery stores were not just rather huge as they are now perhaps. The building that housed the HEB on 18th and Austin around the same time period though does seem quite larger than the 800 Washington building if I'm remembering correctly.
I don't ever recall a teardown/rebuild, but FF did put a new "skin" on what was a plain white block building. I vaguely recall it being a Safeway in the mid-60s when I was really little, like 4 or 5. But I do recall MM being there in the early 70s (I had no idea what it was, but I recall the "Over 21" and "Under 21" entrances, and some joker had scraped off the "1" so that it read "Over 21" and "Under 2").

Looked it up on MCAD; the FF building is listed at a little over 12K square feet, while Community B&T at 18th (which was originally an HEB that was enlarged by added a 2nd story) is a little over 10K square feet per floor. So that is about right for the size of a grocery store in the 1950s. Stores didn't start getting bigger under Safeway and HEB started building their tilt-wall locations around town in the late 60s/early 70s.
Bexar Pitts
whitetrash said:

PartyBear said:

whitetrash said:

Bexar Pitts said:

I don't ever recall a teardown/rebuild, but FF did put a new "skin" on what was a plain white block building. I vaguely recall it being a Safeway in the mid-60s when I was really little, like 4 or 5. But I do recall MM being there in the early 70s (I had no idea what it was, but I recall the "Over 21" and "Under 21" entrances, and some joker had scraped off the "1" so that it read "Over 21" and "Under 2").

Looked it up on MCAD; the FF building is listed at a little over 12K square feet, while Community B&T at 18th (which was originally an HEB that was enlarged by added a 2nd story) is a little over 10K square feet per floor. So that is about right for the size of a grocery store in the 1950s. Stores didn't start getting bigger under Safeway and HEB started building their tilt-wall locations around town in the late 60s/early 70s.
You've nailed it again, amigo! There's a photo from Texas Collection of the grand opening of that Safeway, circa 1930..appears to indeed have smaller footprint than later floor plans. Edit: I took link down, as it had a jillion other photos in it.. Google safeway 800 washington waco tx and it's there.
PartyBear
The HEB I was talking about was actually on Austin at 18th. I think a used furniture store is using the building now perhaps?

As to the 1930s photo. Those were the days you waited in line and a clerk did your actual picking out items in the back, I believe. I was thinking this Safeway at 800 Washington was more recent and more like todays grocery store but obviously smaller than grocery stores have been since the mid 70s or so especially since the late 80s..
Bexar Pitts
PartyBear said:

The HEB I was talking about was actually on Austin at 18th. I think a furniture used store is using the building now perhaps?

As to the 1930s photo. Those were the days you waited in line and a clerk did your actual picking out items in the back, I believe. I was thinking this Safeway at 800 Washington was more recent and more like todays grocery store but obviously smaller than grocery stores have been since the mid 70s or so especially since the late 80s..
PB, I grew up in South Waco and our family shopped that HEB regularly..It was indeed large. That building later became home to Hicks Rubber Company, and that successful business operated there for many years. PS, back in the day when old Lake Waco "turned over" during hot dry summers, Progress Laundry behind HEB had free artesian water spigots that Wacoans could bring bottles and get great fresh tasting (and smelling) water free of charge.. Ahh, back in the day! :-)
whitetrash
PartyBear said:

The HEB I was talking about was actually on Austin at 18th. I think a used furniture store is using the building now perhaps?

Before my time, but I think HEB was at what is now Community, then moved to 18th & Austin in the late 50s. They also had stores at 20th & Waco Dr (what is now Antioch), Westview Village (what is now Pep Boys), Fairgate (somewhere in the middle I think, about what is now DuBois), and Southgate (the end near Bankston's) built about the same time. The Ghetto HEB at 12th & Speight may have come from the same time, I have no idea. All of those except campus and Southgate shuttered when they built where Office Depot is on Bosque in 1969 or 1970. Southgate lasted until they built across from Floyd Casey in 1990.
Bexar Pitts
whitetrash said:

PartyBear said:

Before my time, but I think HEB was at what is now Community, then moved to 18th & Austin in the late 50s. They also had stores at 20th & Waco Dr (what is now Antioch), Westview Village (what is now Pep Boys), Fairgate (somewhere in the middle I think, about what is now DuBois), and Southgate (the end near Bankston's) built about the same time. The Ghetto HEB at 12th & Speight may have come from the same time, I have no idea. All of those except campus and Southgate shuttered when they built where Office Depot is on Bosque in 1969 or 1970. Southgate lasted until they built across from Floyd Casey in 1990.
Wasn't the Westview Village location a Piggly Wiggly? At least at one time, I'm remembering that store as a Pigg...at my age, I surely could be wrong!
Space53
The Antioch building was a piggly wiggly, I delivered beer there.
whitetrash
Bexar Pitts said:

whitetrash said:

PartyBear said:

Wasn't the Westview Village location a Piggly Wiggly? At least at one time, I'm remembering that store as a Pigg...at my age, I surely could be wrong!

When HeB moved from Westview to Bosque (now Office Depot), PW moved from 34th & Bosque to Westview
Bexar Pitts
whitetrash said:

Bexar Pitts said:

whitetrash said:

PartyBear said:

When HeB moved from Westview to Bosque (now Office Depot), PW moved from 34th & Bosque to Westview
" By Jove, I think you've got it!" Thanks, I've been spinning this in my head trying to get the timeline.. BINGO!
T-REX
Man yall are old lol
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Bexar Pitts
T-REX said:

Man yall are old lol
So are diamonds, amigo! Note: I've only forgotten to put my cup under the coffee maker's stream twice. Got a sticky note on it now! :-)
CorsicanaBear
Bexar Pitts said:

T-REX said:

Man yall are old lol
So are diamonds, amigo! Note: I've only forgotten to put my cup under the coffee maker's stream twice. Got a sticky note on it now! :-)
Just looked around the room for my glasses only to find them on my head.

Remember, getting old and humorously forgetful is a best case outcome.
Bexar Pitts
CorsicanaBear said:

Bexar Pitts said:

T-REX said:

Man yall are old lol
Just looked around the room for my glasses only to find them on my head.

Remember, getting old and humorously forgetful is a best case outcome.
So very true...I consider myself to be extremely fortunate...and I'm very grateful for every day.
PartyBear
Don't worry about. This poster called me old on the football board because because I said the Morriss era wasn't that long ago and the unis from then aren't old school at all. So there is some context for you on the accusation of being old.
T-REX
PartyBear said:

Don't worry about. This poster called me old on the football board because because I said the Morriss era wasn't that long ago and the unis from then aren't old school at all. So there is some context for you on the accusation of being old.
how would that make you old? It was like 15 years ago lol
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
baylor1984
Went there a few times in the fall of 80 and Sping of 81. Melody Ranch, Mickeys and West Fraternal were a few of the other dance clubs to go to as well.
BCL79
Gee, that makes me sad. I spent MANY nights at both north Waco locations, both pre fire and post fire. Starting probably summer '75. Those Thursday nights were filled with Baylor and MCC kids. Lots of Baylor footballers typically in attendance.

Ronnie was an excellent disco DJ. I remember the sign behind the DJ stand .... Tuck Fexas. RIP
djboomer
I lived 2 blocks from Majic Music... went there 3 to 4 nights a week in 77-79 - until I moved to Austin. That and Rocky Raccoons were my hang outs - would dance the night away and never sit down. Biggest lighted dance floor west of the Mississippi river (or so it was claimed).
At one time, i had a huge collection of stolen hurricane glasses from there... until the shelf fell in the mid 80s and broke every one of them.
I moved away just as Mickey's was coming into it's own. Still have match books from all three clubs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.