I-35 Progress in Waco ?

6,349 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by UrsinusInfction
SteamedHams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you are on the fast food side of 35, trying to get back over to the Baylor side of 35, may the Lord bless you and keep you on your journey. Because it's gonna be a doozy.
4th and Inches
12th street underpass is open for the cross over between food and Baylor..

The hold up on southbound lanes is setting the cross frames and signage and restriping.. soon!
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Wicked_Wombat
Is anything open going E/W under University Park Blvd? Still look like Beirut?
cowboycwr
SteamedHams said:

If you are on the fast food side of 35, trying to get back over to the Baylor side of 35, may the Lord bless you and keep you on your journey. Because it's gonna be a doozy.

The big issue is going to be all the cars that use the 5th street exit and turn around under 35 and then want to cross 3 lanes of feeder road immediately to get to 6th street. It is going to cause lots of accidents and they are going to have to put up barriers to prevent people from doing it.
SteamedHams
Wicked_Wombat said:

Is anything open going E/W under University Park Blvd? Still look like Beirut?

Still looks like Ground Zero
Bear Doc
https://www.kcentv.com/article/news/local/txdot-all-remaining-i-35-mainlines-expected-to-open/500-da015dd9-b7ff-490e-a62a-8f6f24b22e72?fbclid=IwAR1OvxQGwSrVXWhRJJ9fD5xjk2zw0jiVKghfBWMc-NEHgtn2mIdW4ErqxDg#l6ie7vef7n7han9g2b3

August 10th 6am, IT IS FINISHED.
4th and Inches
I noticed the improvement on I-35 yesterday.. they closed the bellmead exit!

Its temporary but still
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
BaylorHistory
Bear Doc said:

https://www.kcentv.com/article/news/local/txdot-all-remaining-i-35-mainlines-expected-to-open/500-da015dd9-b7ff-490e-a62a-8f6f24b22e72?fbclid=IwAR1OvxQGwSrVXWhRJJ9fD5xjk2zw0jiVKghfBWMc-NEHgtn2mIdW4ErqxDg#l6ie7vef7n7han9g2b3

August 10th 6am, IT IS FINISHED.
It's been glorious, 3 or 4 lanes through town.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
whitetrash
cowboycwr said:

SteamedHams said:

The big issue is going to be all the cars that use the 5th street exit and turn around under 35 and then want to cross 3 lanes of feeder road immediately to get to 6th street. It is going to cause lots of accidents and they are going to have to put up barriers to prevent people from doing it.
At noon today I drove up 35, exited 5th and took the turn around to go to eat at Hawaiian Bros. Sure enough, as soon as I turned around, there was a car stopped in the far left lane of the southbound with its right blinker on, trying to turn right across 3 lanes to 6th street (I finally was able to go around it, turn on 7th and go back one block to 6th. As I left and went back to the access road to head south, sure enough there was another car stopped in the far left lane of the access road, waiting to turn right onto 6th. And this was before 19K students come back to town this week.

TxDOT is going to need to install extra signage if not some additional markers to prohibit turns onto 6th.
CorsicanaBear
The design of this redo is bad. Remember, traffic engineers are single minded and the only thing this buildout does is keep traffic flowing on the I-35 main lanes. Mobility in and around Waco, especially from between Baylor and downtown, will be hampered for years to come. They took out too many exits/entrances between MLK and 17th.
4th and Inches
The blend of the 4 lanes back into 3 lanes on the main highway both directions is poorly done..

–Horace

cowboycwr
whitetrash said:

cowboycwr said:

SteamedHams said:

At noon today I drove up 35, exited 5th and took the turn around to go to eat at Hawaiian Bros. Sure enough, as soon as I turned around, there was a car stopped in the far left lane of the southbound with its right blinker on, trying to turn right across 3 lanes to 6th street (I finally was able to go around it, turn on 7th and go back one block to 6th. As I left and went back to the access road to head south, sure enough there was another car stopped in the far left lane of the access road, waiting to turn right onto 6th. And this was before 19K students come back to town this week.

TxDOT is going to need to install extra signage if not some additional markers to prohibit turns onto 6th.
It is going to get much worse before it gets better.

The other day I saw a car that had taken the turnaround and was trying to cross the 3 lanes. They were completely perpendicular to the traffic of the lanes. This then caused not just the turnaround lane to back up but eventually all 3 lanes as they inched forwards little at a time.

IMO signs will not be enough. They will need barriers that completely prevent it and force those using the turn around to go down another street or two changing lanes until they can turn onto 7th, 8th, etc.
whitetrash
cowboycwr said:

whitetrash said:

cowboycwr said:

SteamedHams said:

The other day I saw a car that had taken the turnaround and was trying to cross the 3 lanes. They were completely perpendicular to the traffic of the lanes. This then caused not just the turnaround lane to back up but eventually all 3 lanes as they inched forwards little at a time.

IMO signs will not be enough. They will need barriers that completely prevent it and force those using the turn around to go down another street or two changing lanes until they can turn onto 7th, 8th, etc.
I'm thinking a row of the flexible orange poles that bend to separate the turnaround lane from the 3 main lanes of the access road at least as far as the end of the striping of the turnaround lane and past 6th street (they have some in the middle of Wooded Acres N of Bosque to protect a mid-block crosswalk). A hard concrete curb between turnaround lane and access road would probably be too much of a hazard.

The problem stems from the "old" turnaround (pre-construction) being much closer to 5th street. It entered the access road in front of the Valero. You had more room (and only 2 lanes to cross) in order to turn right on 6th. Now it enters the access road past McDonald's and closer to Fazoli's.
cowboycwr
whitetrash said:

cowboycwr said:

whitetrash said:

cowboycwr said:

SteamedHams said:

I'm thinking a row of the flexible orange poles that bend to separate the turnaround lane from the 3 main lanes of the access road at least as far as the end of the striping of the turnaround lane and past 6th street (they have some in the middle of Wooded Acres N of Bosque to protect a mid-block crosswalk). A hard concrete curb between turnaround lane and access road would probably be too much of a hazard.

The problem stems from the "old" turnaround (pre-construction) being much closer to 5th street. It entered the access road in front of the Valero. You had more room (and only 2 lanes to cross) in order to turn right on 6th. Now it enters the access road past McDonald's and closer to Fazoli's.
Exactly what I was thinking.
BylrFan
4th and Inches said:

The blend of the 4 lanes back into 3 lanes on the main highway both directions is poorly done..
there has been bottlenecks because of this poor execution and i've been stuck inside traffic because of it
4th and Inches
BylrFan said:

4th and Inches said:

there has been bottlenecks because of this poor execution and i've been stuck inside traffic because of it
its a simple fix but they chose that ridiculus stripe pattern instead..

The 4th lane should die as an exit only at 18th and the same at the bellmead walmart going north..

Civil engineering lane mathmatics..

–Horace

UrsinusInfction
I think they only took out the 8th street exit northbound. While the 4th/5th is a little troubling, I think the new 11th street underpass will be a huge benefit to Baylor/downtown access.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.