New Waco Question

9,874 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by T-REX
matt_workman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There is a good chance we will be moving back to Waco in the near future. We have been gone since 2014. I hold a special place in my heart for Waco because it's where I met my wife, got married and had our first child. My question is how has Waco changed in the 8 years we've been gone? What should I look forward to or avoid?
MrGolfguy
The answer to all 3 of your questions:

Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
MrGolfguy
not a joke
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Old300Bear
Expect to pay a bunch for a house if you can find one. Road work EVERYWHERE! Lots of new restaurants, mostly chains. More traffic.
Fred Barber
ursamajor
The Magnolia effect and roadwork are good answers. I wish I knew why they decided to work on every road at once.

Baylor to Woodway routes have become severely restricted. 17th to Franklin? No bridge. I-35, you're taking your chances. And even if you get to Hwy 6, yikes!

But the basic feel is still the same, big enough for most of what you want, not so big you spend half your life in traffic. Small enough to see someone you know every time you head out. And now there's lots of good BBQ!
BaylorGuy314
Its better for young families in my opinion than it used to be. More food options, more entertainment options, more social opportunities. Real estate has increased dramatically and is as much or more than major cities but its expensive anywhere. A nice perk would be that you could live well outside of town and maybe get a better deal on a home but still have a much shorter drive than in a major city.

Downtown is kinda hip now. Still got a ways to go but the movement is tangible and its good to see.

Any other specific questions?
whitetrash
Old300Bear said:

Expect to pay a bunch for a house if you can find one. Road work EVERYWHERE! Lots of new restaurants, mostly chains. More traffic.

Article in the trib this morning on property tax appraisals. Total appraised value of all properties in the city of Waco for 2022 is up 24.5% over total 2019 value. Total for Woodway is up 27.2% over 2019.
FirmBear24
ursamajor said:

The Magnolia effect and roadwork are good answers. I wish I knew why they decided to work on every road at once.

Baylor to Woodway routes have become severely restricted. 17th to Franklin? No bridge. I-35, you're taking your chances. And even if you get to Hwy 6, yikes!

But the basic feel is still the same, big enough for most of what you want, not so big you spend half your life in traffic. Small enough to see someone you know every time you head out. And now there's lots of good BBQ!

I come from Woodway and take I-35 every morning. Rarely have an issue going or going out. Takes me about 10-15 minutes to get to my office in downtown. Roadwork has been a nuisance but doesn't really slow me down much.
ursamajor
FirmBear24 said:

ursamajor said:

I come from Woodway and take I-35 every morning. Rarely have an issue going or going out. Takes me about 10-15 minutes to get to my office in downtown. Roadwork has been a nuisance but doesn't really slow me down much.
For me it's the "you never know factor." Most days are fine, but I feel like there's always a slowdown when I'm running late for a meeting!

But the volume of concurrent roadwork is surprising. Major projects on I-35 (+ feeders and underpasses connecting to downtown), Hwy 6, Franklin downtown, 17th st bridge, Mars Dr by MHS. I'll be grateful for it all in a year, but hard to avoid the dust and cones anywhere you go right now. At least the Target remodel is done!
SteamedHams
I live near the McGregor Airport and drive to Baylor every day, and while 35 can be an absolute travesty on the weekends/nights when they do lane closures, I honestly almost never encounter problems doing the daily commute.

It feels pretty similar still to when you left in 2014, definitely have added a few more restaurants and offerings (Top Golf/Main Event/Cinemark movie theater off the interstate, for example). More family friendly than before. I obviously prefer living out in the 'burbs more than being in Waco Waco, particularly with the schools. Our kids are Midway'ers and its been a great experience thus far, COVID notwithstanding.

I think the Waco area is continuing to improved, and while it definitely is way more expensive in general than it used to be, my guess is that holds true for just about every other town over 50,000 in Texas as well. Once all the construction is done, I think it should even better.
FirmBear24
ursamajor said:

FirmBear24 said:

ursamajor said:

For me it's the "you never know factor." Most days are fine, but I feel like there's always a slowdown when I'm running late for a meeting!

But the volume of concurrent roadwork is surprising. Major projects on I-35 (+ feeders and underpasses connecting to downtown), Hwy 6, Franklin downtown, 17th st bridge, Mars Dr by MHS. I'll be grateful for it all in a year, but hard to avoid the dust and cones anywhere you go right now. At least the Target remodel is done!

Totally agree on the volume. I have more issues getting around downtown than anywhere.
william
luckily - some things haven't changed*

- KKM

* for 50 years.........

Dale?
PartyBear
Yeah the vintage 60s era Arby's is still there in its 1960s form. Not sure how they have gotten away with never having to update it. I thought that was part of the deal with franchises and if it is corporate owned I'm sure they would have updated it over the decades.

As to those saying Waco hasnt changed much since 2014 I'm guessing if you live here it seems that way. I suppose to someone who hasnt been here since 2014, they might think it has changed since even that recent time period.
Redbrickbear
Strong population growth for a mid sized city.

[In 2010 the Waco MSA had a population of 234,906. The 2021 population estimate is 280,428]
GreenGolfer
I left in 2015 as was just recently there on a trip. It has changed a lot from the economic development standpoint. Tons of restaurants around 35 and campus as well as downtown. The Central Texas Marketplace has filled out. I hear there are many more things to do there now from a social aspect. I was curious about the housing market, so I looked up our old house... it's definitely gone up in value... a lot! If you haven't been back since 2014, you'll notice a difference for sure.
ABC BEAR
The Denny's and IHOP near campus are both gone now. Where is a person supposed to go for pancakes after midnight?
cowboycwr
If you have been gone since 2014 and haven't been back to visit then it will look a lot different with so many new stores, restaurants, businesses, etc. all over. As well as so many old ones that are empty or becoming mostly empty (Richland Mall). But the change has been good IMO and I like it, even if much of it has been a result of the magnolia effect.
cowboycwr
ursamajor said:

I agree on the construction. I don't know why they decided it had to be done all at once but I also get that some of the construction is state and some is city.

Fore example, the city is working on the 17th bridge over the railroad tracks as well as all the sidewalk construction on major roads (18th, Waco drive, etc.)

The part I never get with construction is why such long stretches are shut down when they are working on a small section. For example on 18th they were building the sidewalk in a one block stretch but had about half a mile before it and half a mile after it blocked off but no work being done.

PartyBear
cowboycwr said:

If you have been gone since 2014 and haven't been back to visit then it will look a lot different with so many new stores, restaurants, businesses, etc. all over. As well as so many old ones that are empty or becoming mostly empty (Richland Mall). But the change has been good IMO and I like it, even if much of it has been a result of the magnolia effect.
Actually while Magnolia has played a role in traffic here etc and my have sped up population growth by a year or two perhaps, population growth such as we see now was going to occur any way just based on the demographics. It actually started at current rates around 10 years ago before Magnolia was not only a hit show but before it was actually a show at all.
cowboycwr
PartyBear said:

cowboycwr said:

Actually while Magnolia has played a role in traffic here etc and my have sped up population growth by a year or two perhaps, population growth such as we see now was going to occur any way just based on the demographics. It actually started at current rates around 10 years ago before Magnolia was not only a hit show but before it was actually a show at all.
True for the overall growth of the whole city/area but for downtown I think they have taken the slow rebirth of downtown that was taking decades and put it an double lightspeed to where it is happening virtually overnight.
falconbear
Have not lived in Waco since 2012, but on my recent trips back...

Downtown is sooooo much better than it used to be.

Way more new developments around I 35

La Salle next to campus still is a deserted wasteland. Was shocked at the lack of development there.
T-REX
falconbear said:

Have not lived in Waco since 2012, but on my recent trips back...

Downtown is sooooo much better than it used to be.

Way more new developments around I 35

La Salle next to campus still is a deserted wasteland. Was shocked at the lack of development there.
takes some real effort I'm sire to push out the riff Raf and rezone that entire area. Got to get the flee market out and free up all that space alone for some nice development space. Not sure how they go about forcing out storage/equipment/ect type businesses tho. But yea that whole strip needs some serious overhaul
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
TonitrumOso
Haven't been back in 20 years (except a couple of stops at George's on various I-35 trips). Will be back this fall to visit my kids starting Baylor this year. Selfishly, I need to know the status of the following institutions:

Two Minnie's
Showtime Club
Kitok
Chapter 11
Crying Shame
Oso Burrito
Papa Joe's (where Billy Joe Shaver shot a guy)
Scruffy Murphy's

I am prepared for all of these to be gone and have lined up a grief counselor to get me through it. Thanks in advance. Any info is appreciated.
T-REX
TonitrumOso said:

Haven't been back in 20 years (except a couple of stops at George's on various I-35 trips). Will be back this fall to visit my kids starting Baylor this year. Selfishly, I need to know the status of the following institutions:

Two Minnie's
Showtime Club
Kitok
Chapter 11
Crying Shame
Oso Burrito
Scruffy Murphy's

I am prepared for all of these to be gone and have lined up a grief counselor to get me through it. Thanks in advance. Any info is appreciated.

showtime is still there and scruffs is still there also. Kitok is as well but never been there. Same with oso burrito/mr oso as it's called I think. 2 Minnie's is gone. Idk about the rest

Come back to waco more often. Games are way more fun in person
Baylor MBA 2023
cowboycwr
T-REX said:

TonitrumOso said:

Two Minnie's
Showtime Club
Kitok
Chapter 11
Crying Shame
Oso Burrito
Scruffy Murphy's

showtime is still there and scruffs is still there also. Kitok is as well but never been there. Same with oso burrito/mr oso as it's called I think. 2 Minnie's is gone. Idk about the rest

Oso Burrito is still around? Isn't that the one that was downtown around 2005? I thought it closed and went out of business.
T-REX
cowboycwr said:

T-REX said:

TonitrumOso said:

Two Minnie's
Showtime Club
Kitok
Chapter 11
Crying Shame
Oso Burrito
Scruffy Murphy's

Oso Burrito is still around? Isn't that the one that was downtown around 2005? I thought it closed and went out of business.
I Google it and mr oso came up. May not be same idk
Baylor MBA 2023
TonitrumOso
Will be doing more in person for sure. Work life finally taking a backseat.
Bearly Interested
Oso Burrito was an unassuming little place down on La Salle which I believe really started the whole foodie revolution.

The sauces were layered and sophisticated. The meats were both intriguing and brilliantly spiced.

Were it not for animal control noticing the disappearance and thinning of the local cat population & the health department putting 2 and 2 together -- it would still be thriving.

Nobody knew what "chorizo" was back then.
Big12Bear
TonitrumOso said:

Two Minnie's
Showtime Club
Kitok
Chapter 11
Crying Shame
Oso Burrito
Scruffy Murphy's

You better believe that Crying Shame, Chapter 11, Scruff's and Kitok are still there. Pony upto the bar and pay your respects (or order a liplocker w/cheese in Kitok's case).

Never been to Papa Joe's but know all about the Billy Joe story. Dale Watson made a song about it called "Where Do You Want It"

SteamedHams
Big12Bear said:

TonitrumOso said:

Two Minnie's
Showtime Club
Kitok
Chapter 11
Crying Shame
Oso Burrito
Scruffy Murphy's

You better believe that Crying Shame, Chapter 11, Scruff's and Kitok are still there. Pony upto the bar and pay your respects (or order a liplocker w/cheese in Kitok's case).

Never been to Papa Joe's but know all about the Billy Joe story. Dale Watson made a song about it called "Where Do You Want It"

Crying Shame, and previously PJ's next to it...definitely would never be short of a unique cast of characters, at any hour.

It's like an episode of Cheers, but instead of Cliffy going on Jeopardy, he is forced to purchase hobo stab insurance.
BUbearinARK
Bearly Interested said:

Oso Burrito was an unassuming little place down on La Salle which I believe really started the whole foodie revolution.

The sauces were layered and sophisticated. The meats were both intriguing and brilliantly spiced.

Were it not for animal control noticing the disappearance and thinning of the local cat population & the health department putting 2 and 2 together -- it would still be thriving.

Nobody knew what "chorizo" was back then.
CammoTX
TonitrumOso said:

Two Minnie's
Showtime Club
Kitok
Chapter 11
Crying Shame
Oso Burrito
Scruffy Murphy's

Left off Sonny's BYOB
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
TonitrumOso said:

Two Minnie's
Showtime Club
Kitok
Chapter 11
Crying Shame
PJ's has been closed for 9 years
Oso Burrito
Scruffy Murphy's

Havent lived there in 12 years but still get back for a few games and to see family.

Two Minnies gone
Showtime better than it used to be. First time 1976 16 years old, last time 2022 Say hi to Brenda
Kitok Still open Oriental fries still the best food there
Chapter 11 not a patron but still there
Crying Shame same
Papa Joes still open but usually pretty quit except for biker events. Fun place either way

No grieving.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
tcbear
I lived at Oso. Greatest ever.
Grinnin bear
Grew up in Waco. My 5th grade baseball team was sponsored by Oso Burrito. Our hats, jerseys, etc were brown and yellow. Not kidding. It was like playing for the Padres in the 80s.
- Sometimes you just gotta grin and bear it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.