"The Man from Waco" - Charley Crockett

2,653 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bexar Pitts
CammoTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Yogi
I like that for a young man he has an appreciation for that "Old Western" style of music in addition to the blues and other genres.

I've been in my Old Western phase lately, so this was a great listen.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Bexar Pitts
Yogi, how 'bout this one?
EnglishBear
Charley Crockett is great and has quite a story. He was a busker in Deep Ellum and New York, dabbled in some of the lighter criminal arts, and had open heart surgery a couple years back. Definitely a throwback C&W sound, but with a little extra dash of soul.
BCL79
Yogi said:

I like that for a young man he has an appreciation for that "Old Western" style of music in addition to the blues and other genres.

Hey Yogi, So you like all styles of music, both Country and Western?
Big12Bear
Seen him a couple of times at Billy Bob's. Throwback style and voice. He puts on a good show.
cowboycwr
Cool song. Thanks for sharing.
TenBears
Cross the Brazos at Waco is the theme song of the Waco History Podcast, which is really good.
Bexar Pitts
TenBears said:

Cross the Brazos at Waco is the theme song of the Waco History Podcast, which is really good.
Billy Walker was born in the Panhandle, but after his mom died he and two brothers were placed in the Methodist Home here in Waco..I think he was only 4 or 5 years old, and he lived there until he was 11 or so..His musical talents didn't go unnoticed, and he actually found work in Dallas on the Big D Jamboree as a young man, and soon he met Hank Thompson ( a Wacoan), who helped him get a recording contract in Nashville.Billy was known in those early years as The Tall Texan, and his popularity grew quickly. Cross the Brazos was recorded in 1964, and became one of his best tunes. I always enjoy listening to his records, and hope his music will endure..
Bexar Pitts
CammoTX said:

Thanks for posting the tune! Enjoyed the listen, and think he's got a really good sound..Always like to hear tunes with Waco in the title! :-)
Edmond Bear
BCL79 said:

Yogi said:

Jake: Uh, Bob, about the money for tonight.

Bob: Oh, yeah, $200, and you boys drank $300 worth of beer.
ABC BEAR
Edmond Bear said:

BCL79 said:

Yogi said:

Bob's Country Bunker.....boy I miss that place.
Bexar Pitts
ABC BEAR said:

Edmond Bear said:

BCL79 said:

Yogi said:

Bob's Country Bunker.....boy I miss that place.
If you've ever been in a beer joint with chicken wire in front of the bandstand, you really loved that scene in the movie..Those were indeed the "Days!"
Eleven-League Grant
Quote:

Cross the Brazos was recorded in 1964, and became one of his best tunes. I always enjoy listening to his records, and hope his music will endure.
Walker told an interesting story about that song.

When the song was still high on the country music charts, George Jones (who apparently was feeling no pain at the time) called him and said 'Billy, I wanna buy that damn horse'.

Walker didn't really understand and asked Jones what in the world he was talking about.

Jones told him he was listening to Cross the Brazos and decided that any horse that could ride from Waco to San Antonio overnight was an animal worth having!

I guess George was doing some deep thinking at the time.

{Apologies to the OP for the slight derail. A man doesn't get many opportunities to pass on a story like that and Bexar opened the door}.
Bexar Pitts
Thanks for the story! My bad and my apology for starting the "slight derail"..Just connecting songs with "Waco" in the title..
LIB,MR BEARS
How Far to Waco

https://www.google.com/search?q=waco+songs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:3014bd9a.0be3b404,vid:TW3rOXiIVCY,st:0
cyberbear
How long before Fox or ESPN puts it in a promo or fluff piece on Baylor? It'll be awesome.
Bexar Pitts
LIB,MR BEARS said:

How Far to Waco

https://www.google.com/search?q=waco+songs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:3014bd9a.0be3b404,vid:TW3rOXiIVCY,st:0
Never heard that one before! Good tune...guess he liked the "northern" route ! :-)
Big12Bear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

How Far to Waco

Ronnie was a guest DJ on Sirius Ch 58 (Prime Country) a week or two ago and he played that song. I had never heard it before, but liked it. Crazy timing.
LIB,MR BEARS
Big12Bear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

How Far to Waco

Ronnie was a guest DJ on Sirius Ch 58 (Prime Country) a week or two ago and he played that song. I had never heard it before, but liked it. Crazy timing.
I'd never heard it until I got on this thread. I did a google search looking for a different song and stumbled across it.

I like it
PartyBear
I never heard it either. The song is 11 years old.
Levi Caraway
Staff
I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread to find some fellow Charley Crockett fans. He is awesome!
Levi Caraway
Staff
I have been working on a video for Jaxon Player with this song.
FrankFallonCalling
This is more Waco-adjacent (Lorena, China Spring), but it's a banger.

Bexar Pitts
Anybody old enough to remember this one? :-)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.