Lunch in Waco

5,772 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by OsoCoreyell
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
forza orsi said:

DiCampli's does a great job. Massimo DiCampli is a legit chef from Abruzzo. Best for dinner but lunch is good too. Re Bombones, I am a huge fan. I have only been for dinner, but it was really tasty and has things that aren't found in just any Mexican restaurant.

We talked to Abruzzo Thursday when he came to our table. Seems like an awesome guy and he loves his situation in America over Italy. Several of our dishes were incredible.
1outawayBear
forza orsi said:

DiCampli's does a great job. Massimo DiCampli is a legit chef from Abruzzo. Best for dinner but lunch is good too. Re Bombones, I am a huge fan. I have only been for dinner, but it was really tasty and has things that aren't found in just any Mexican restaurant.
Agreed.

Go there all the time for lunch.

Great food
LadyBear91
RMF5630 said:

PartyBear said:

Sounds like one of those threads that will end up being an "everything in Waco is crap" thread. We see it starting already with good places like the original Chuy's being criticized even though that is Austin. If in Austin though I would recommend Hula Hut (a close cousin of Chuy's but a fusion with Pacific Islander food and on the water at Oyster Landing (I would love them to open one on the Brazos in Waco). Loros on South Lamar is great.. It is Franklins BBQ and an local Asian place fusion. I'll say it again. It is really good .

I would recommend Hecho in Waco as a nice local Mexican place. Right a block or two from the Silo's. That area will likely be packed this weekend. There are alot of good new places in Waco if you havent been here since 2002. I would say beware. For some reason Waco has decided to do all infrastructure upgrades simultaneosly which will make navigating crowds downtown even more challenging. Yes crowds downtown again probably not something you can picture if you havent been here since 2002.

Thanks. I have been to the bookstore. That is it. Looking forward to seeing. We like Chuys. I am gonna check out the Hula Hut!

My wife wants to go to Silo. So... You know how they say to be a traveler? Well, it is obvious when I am in tourist mode, I embrace. Lessons from growing up on Clearwater Beach, the locals know. So embrace it!

Just took my mom and aunt to Hula Hut's Thursday night. My aunt was visiting from Canada. Used to live very near there in Tarrytown, so went all of the time. Live in North Austin, so it's a drive now, but worth it! The mango margarita and queso compuesto starter are so yummy.
FLBear5630
Ended up eating at the Silos. Not my choice... Ended up with Chicken and Waffles from a food truck. It was ok.

Hula Hut was a hit! Whoever recommended that one, it was a winner. Went two nights. Ambiance on Lake Austin was enough to bring my group back.

Wurstfest? What can I say. I love Wurstfest. Hofbrau original , Munich Bratwurst, potato pancake, German chocolate pie, all women Oktoberfest band from Munich dressed like Berlin burlesque, and rock accordion. We closed it down...

Next morning Oldest Bakery Kolache and Donut/Egg/Sausage Breakfast Sandwich. Back to Airport, watched BU/OU on plane and home. Highly successful work trip and weekend...

Thank you to the Baylor Travel Agency! : )
PartyBear
Glad you enjoyed Hula Hut. I really wish they would add one in Waco at the river development. I think there is one in the DFW area now, even though it hasn't really gone full chain at this time.

It was started by the Chuy's owners about 30 years ago. Hence the almost identical vibe and very similar food but for it isn't Tex Mex at Hula. However Chuy's sold Hula Hut at some point.
quash
whitetrash said:

RMF5630 said:

swart dra mislei jou said:

RMF5630 said:

Coke Bear said:

RMF5630 said:

Thanks. I have been to the bookstore. That is it. Looking forward to seeing. We like Chuys. I am gonna check out the Hula Hut!

My wife wants to go to Silo. So... You know how they say to be a traveler? Well, it is obvious when I am in tourist mode, I embrace. Lessons from growing up on Clearwater Beach, the locals know. So embrace it!
When at the Silos, please find plenty of free parking north of the Silos further up Webster in their parking lots. No need to pay $10 to park unless you want to help the local churches in the area.
Thanks!

My wife is excited. Geez, she seems more excited to go to Silos than when we got to go to Singapore last year for work.

Sorry.

You know everything there is at target, right?
Bite your tongue... It's Chip and Joanna...

I do not want to sleep on a couch for my time in Texas.

I have been informed we are skipping lunch and going to the bakery.
Let her get in line at the bakery. Go find the Wizzbang's food truck and get a Wizzpig. Have a cupcake for dessert.

This. Absolutely the best way to Silo.
FLBear5630
quash said:

whitetrash said:

RMF5630 said:

RMF5630 said:

Coke Bear said:

RMF5630 said:

When at the Silos, please find plenty of free parking north of the Silos further up Webster in their parking lots. No need to pay $10 to park unless you want to help the local churches in the area.
Thanks!

My wife is excited. Geez, she seems more excited to go to Silos than when we got to go to Singapore last year for work.

Sorry.

Let her get in line at the bakery. Go find the Wizzbang's food truck and get a Wizzpig. Have a cupcake for dessert.

Had the Chicken and Waffle. Not bad. Silos are not my cup of tequila... I see too much of the monetization to enjoy, get anything but mad or feel like a sap!

The Church gets a nice deal.

quash
RMF5630 said:

quash said:

whitetrash said:

RMF5630 said:

RMF5630 said:

Coke Bear said:

RMF5630 said:

Thanks!

Sorry.

Had the Chicken and Waffle. Not bad. Silos are not my cup of tequila... I see too much of the monetization to enjoy, get anything but mad or feel like a sap!

Took my mom and sister there, they were thrilled. Took my girlfriend there and after ten minutes she said "Why are we here?"

We walked over to Hecho for lunch.
FLBear5630
quash said:

RMF5630 said:

quash said:

whitetrash said:

RMF5630 said:

RMF5630 said:

Coke Bear said:

RMF5630 said:

Thanks!

Sorry.

Took my mom and sister there, they were thrilled. Took my girlfriend there and after ten minutes she said "Why are we here?"

We walked over to Hecho for lunch.

My wife was disappointed. She said they turned a cool show into an outlet mall...
TechDawgMc
PartyBear said:

Glad you enjoyed Hula Hut. I really wish they would add one in Waco at the river development. I think there is one in the DFW area now, even though it hasn't really gone full chain at this time.

It was started by the Chuy's owners about 30 years ago. Hence the almost identical vibe and very similar food but for it isn't Tex Mex at Hula. However Chuy's sold Hula Hut at some point.
I tried Hula Hut for the first time a few weeks ago. The vibe was clearly similar to Chuy's. We really liked the place. Good food and great view--especially at sunset.

I liked the variety they had on the menu. My gripe with Chuy's at the moment is that they need to open their menu back up. I'm tired of most of the current menu--or, at least, I miss my favorites.

I did notice that Hula Hut's version of the Jalapeno Ranch was a tad milder than Chuy's. Felt like it was trying to appeal to those who want a bit less bite in their food.
PartyBear
And the Creamy Jalapeno is not complimentary like it is at Chuy's.
FLBear5630
PartyBear said:

And the Creamy Jalapeno is not complimentary like it is at Chuy's.

Guacamole was good.
loanbear
TechDawgMc said:

PartyBear said:

I tried Hula Hut for the first time a few weeks ago. The vibe was clearly similar to Chuy's. We really liked the place. Good food and great view--especially at sunset.

I liked the variety they had on the menu. My gripe with Chuy's at the moment is that they need to open their menu back up. I'm tired of most of the current menu--or, at least, I miss my favorites.

I did notice that Hula Hut's version of the Jalapeno Ranch was a tad milder than Chuy's. Felt like it was trying to appeal to those who want a bit less bite in their food.
yep. I have not been to Chuy's in well over a year because they are still Covid focused on their menu. The things I normally order are no longer available. Plenty of other options for Tex Mex available in the area and my money will go there.
BaylorBigfoot
I have been waiting for a thread like this!

The best restaurant to go to in Waco has to be Dubl-R Burgers! Great quality and has a great atmosphere! And remember to order the Bigfoot Special and tell them that Baylor Bigfoot sent you!
BE SURE TO ASK FOR THE BIGFOOT SPECIAL AT ANY BURGER JOINT! I'LL HANG UP AND LISTEN! DOUBLE B'S OUUUTT!
FLBear5630
BaylorBigfoot said:

The best restaurant to go to in Waco has to be Dubl-R Burgers! Great quality and has a great atmosphere! And remember to order the Bigfoot Special and tell them that Baylor Bigfoot sent you!
Next time in town, I will hit it.
quash
BaylorBigfoot said:

Dubl-R is good, if you blindfolded me I doubt I could tell it from Cupps.

But if I'm on 18th I'm going to Kitok. And no, I will not split my order of oriental fries with you.
BaylorBigfoot
Unfortunately, Kitok is under new management and has really changed the flavors of the food.
BE SURE TO ASK FOR THE BIGFOOT SPECIAL AT ANY BURGER JOINT! I'LL HANG UP AND LISTEN! DOUBLE B'S OUUUTT!
Illinois Bear
BaylorBigfoot said:

Unfortunately, Kitok is under new management and has really changed the flavors of the food.

&ct=g
quash
BaylorBigfoot said:

Not the oriental fries or the liplocker. And I don't eat anything else at Kitok.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
OsoCoreyell
Rip-Rocker Chee with Chinee Fry!

My standard order.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.