From Baylor to Downtown

2,159 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by OsoCoreyell
OsoCoreyell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just got back from homecoming. It was great! We stayed at an AirBnB downtown on Austin, got up to see the parade and generally just couldn't get our heads around how much downtown Waco has changed. I knew the Silos were having an effect, but just wow. It now appears that the area between downtown and campus is pretty safe for pedestrian walking. NOT the case in my time in Waco.

I'm guessing after the Salvation Army moves out, it will be pretty safe to walk from campus to downtown? If so, what a boone for Waco and Baylor.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Whole area going to be transformed.
Redbrickbear
Mini Austin here we come....
Boernebear
There's $1B+ of development either underway or planned in downtown Waco - it's going to look dramatically different over the next 3-5 years even beyond the changes that have already taken place. Love to see it!
Twitter: @BoerneBear | #SicEm
PartyBear
Boernebear said:

There's $1B+ of development either underway or planned in downtown Waco - it's going to look dramatically different over the next 3-5 years even beyond the changes that have already taken place. Love to see it!

What are you referencing regarding the 1 B+ ?
BaylorHistory
OsoCoreyell said:

I'm guessing after the Salvation Army moves out, it will be pretty safe to walk from campus to downtown? If so, what a boone for Waco and Baylor.
I'm sure it won't hurt, but I've never had any issues walking anywhere in Downtown Waco before or after Magnolia.
Boernebear
PartyBear said:

Boernebear said:

All of the downtown development in the pipeline - new basketball pavilion, the riverfront, new hotels. multifamily projects, retail/restaurants, and ultimately a new performing arts center too. Not to mention all the infrastructure costs as well.
Twitter: @BoerneBear | #SicEm
OsoCoreyell
Boernebear said:

PartyBear said:

Boernebear said:

All of the downtown development in the pipeline - new basketball pavilion, the riverfront, new hotels. multifamily projects, retail/restaurants, and ultimately a new performing arts center too. Not to mention all the infrastructure costs as well.
Its kind of unreal. We're going to see whether "If you build it, they will come" will actually happen in terms of white collar businesses locating to Waco. Having the downtown be this nice really creates an opportunity.
hill02
I sure wish we could clean up Franklin from Valley into downtown.

That is the major artery into downtown besides 35.

Austin Avenue and MLK look good. Franklin is the most travelled one and is such an eyesore.
Bear Doc
OsoCoreyell said:

Boernebear said:

PartyBear said:

Boernebear said:

Its kind of unreal. We're going to see whether "If you build it, they will come" will actually happen in terms of white collar businesses locating to Waco. Having the downtown be this nice really creates an opportunity.
https://wacotrib.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/eight-companies-eyeing-waco-would-spend-combined-2-billion/article_d217f480-5a20-11ed-aca4-2f7ccc44cb14.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Related. We are building it, so they seem to be (at least interested in) coming...
Coke Bear
hill02 said:

I sure wish we could clean up Franklin from Valley into downtown.

That is the major artery into downtown besides 35.

Austin Avenue and MLK look good. Franklin is the most travelled one and is such an eyesore.
This may take another 10-20 years. The lack of used car inventory has fixed some of that area, but it will take a slow growth from the river forward for businesses to move in and clean up that area.

Quite frankly, the real estate is cheap rent at this point. We just need some businesses to move in to those places. With the world going virtual, it may be a while before brick and mortar types are coming back.

Maybe we can open up a few more cup cake and cookie stores? lol!
OsoCoreyell
Bear Doc said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Boernebear said:

PartyBear said:

Boernebear said:

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/eight-companies-eyeing-waco-would-spend-combined-2-billion/article_d217f480-5a20-11ed-aca4-2f7ccc44cb14.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Related. We are building it, so they seem to be (at least interested in) coming...
I know one of the businesses eying the move from the Dallas area to Waco. They are light manufacturing with around 350 employees, from skilled factory workers to white collar sales guys. Salary range (outside the C-suite) of $65,000/yr to $550,000/yr. They say the move is mostly employee driven - Dallas is too expensive. It's a very interesting idea.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.