The paper said another Cotton Patch Cafe is going in at the front of the Cinemark

7,885 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cowboycwr
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
All I can say is seriously???? Building another of something already in Waco there? I thought there was some other place called "Willie's" or something going in there.
loanbear
PartyBear said:

All I can say is seriously???? Building another of something already in Waco there? I thought there was some other place called "Willie's" or something going in there.

There is a Cotton Patch Cafe in Waco? Where, and what is a Cotton Patch Cafe? By the way, I live in Waco and am not being sarcastic.
PartyBear
It's over in the building that once housed Black Eye Pea sort of in front of what is now Target. It has been there at least 20 years. Just a country food chain. It's not bad just really didn't think they needed a second location and seems kind of like it wouldn't be a fit for where the second location is going.
whitetrash
PartyBear said:

It's over in the building that once housed Black Eye Pea sort of in front of what is now Target. It has been there at least 20 years. Just a country food chain. It's not bad just really didn't think they needed a second location and seems kind of like it wouldn't be a fit for where the second location is going.
unless they are going after the same highway crowd that frequents the Cracker Barrels at the north and south end of town.
Mike E
Yeah I saw the Facebook post and there were lots of complaints about that. It's ridiculous.

No one wants another Cotton Patch and the one we have isn't even that popular.

A lot of people also calling for Pluckers...which sadly we here all know how that won't be happening:/
Mike E
https://wacotrib.com/business/local/hotels-more-restaurants-planned-near-wacos-cinemark-movie-theater/article_4ad04884-53bc-11ed-b816-dfbb579dc0d5.html
Coke Bear
I buy one of the large BOGO coupon books that support the local schools.

Late this summer I found a coupon for the Cotton Patch, so I went to pick up dinner for my wife and me. We hadn't been there in years and wanted to try it again.

This was Saturday night around 7:30 PM. They had about four To Go orders on the counter (including mine). I only saw one other couple eating dinner there and they just finished their meal.

Maybe they have a strong Sunday lunch crowd.

I told my wife that I can't see them being past Christmas.

It wouldn't surprise me for them to close that one and keep the new one open.
PartyBear
Something that appeals to the younger crowd is what seems more of a fit for the location or something Waco doesn't have like a Razzoo's or something like that with a bit more of an up beat party like vibe.
southtexasbear
Well there's a coffee place coming in but I got my ass razed for bringing it up. Cotton Patch = $.25 coffee. So they should like it
Yogi
Need a restaurant at that location that also has a full bar.
southtexasbear
Yogi said:

Need a restaurant at that location that also has a full bar.

Willie's grill and Icehouse is coming to that area.
4th and Inches
Coke Bear said:

Late this summer I found a coupon for the Cotton Patch, so I went to pick up dinner for my wife and me. We hadn't been there in years and wanted to try it again.

This was Saturday night around 7:30 PM. They had about four To Go orders on the counter (including mine). I only saw one other couple eating dinner there and they just finished their meal.

i think you are right and they are pulling a Chilis..
BaylorHistory
southtexasbear said:

Well there's a coffee place coming in but I got my ass razed for bringing it up. Cotton Patch = $.25 coffee. So they should like it

It's no country kitchen buffet, but it'll do.

CammoTX

PartyBear
Coke Bear said:

That may be the ultimate plan. We havent been there since after a football game during the Steele years when the youngest was little, it had recently opened at that time. Back then we lived in that general area of town. Have been in Woodway since the mid 00s and have not bothered to drive over there to go to Cotton Patch. Again not a knock on the food as I remember I thought it was good if you are in the mood for that type of thing. It is just not a place to drive across town to go to. It is essentially a non fast food version of Grandy's or a Black Eye Pea concept for those who still dont know about this chain. It has a blue hair type vibe to it as well. I am surprised it is still in business here, I dont really know of anyone personally who has said they have been there anytime recently until the post above. I doubt a new one on 35 is going to be competing well with the other restaurants right in that area such as Chuy's etc. BTW the Cotton Patch chain seems to be very popular in East Texas. They all over the place in East Texas even small towns. I thought I remember seeing one in Athens or some place like that a few years ago.
Blackjack Bear
Stopped at the one in Athens two weeks ago , headed back to Waco. Decent food but nothing special. And somewhat over priced.
TechDawgMc
Blackjack Bear said:

Stopped at the one in Athens two weeks ago , headed back to Waco. Decent food but nothing special. And somewhat over priced.
They've definitely moved up in price lately. Dishes that hit around $10 two years ago or now $14-15. Even with the big coupon book someone mentioned, they have moved out of the "good bang for the buck" category. I bet they end up closing the one they have and just moving to I-35.
BylrFan
What a miss for an otherwise great area
PartyBear
BylrFan said:

I was thinking that as well. Why would the owner of the development cut this deal? If you want a homestyle place try to bring in a Babe's or something or a Gus' Chicken. Never been to a Babe's but I have heard really good things about it. Gus' Chicken is delicious!
Ursus
Coke Bear said:

LOL. You missed the dinner rush by 3 hours. The dinner crowd has to get home before dark.
loanbear
PartyBear said:

BylrFan said:

I was thinking that as well. Why would the owner of the development cut this deal? If you want a homestyle place try to bring in a Babe's or something or a Gus' Chicken. Never been to a Babe's but I have heard really good things about it. Gus' Chicken is delicious!
Babe's in Waco would be incredible. Surprised the owners have not considered one in Waco yet as it would seem to be a natural growth point going South.
Grimm
Coke Bear said:

They are usually pretty busy around lunch time... Their key demographic is probably asleep at 7:30 on a Saturday.
SteamedHams
Cotton Patch....seriously? What a let down for such a cool area. Underwhelming to say the least, bleh. I assume a Sirloin Stockade is going in next to it.
BaylorGuy314
Can we get a Pluckers in the old Twin Peaks building? That building is still sitting vacant and its not a bad location at all. Twin Peaks did decently before the shootout and then it sat for a while until the dust cleared only to get turned into a very subpar seafood place. Lights have been off since that seafood shack closed up at least a year ago.
Mike E
BaylorGuy314 said:

Can we get a Pluckers in the old Twin Peaks building? That building is still sitting vacant and its not a bad location at all. Twin Peaks did decently before the shootout and then it sat for a while until the dust cleared only to get turned into a very subpar seafood place. Lights have been off since that seafood shack closed up at least a year ago.
They're not interested in Waco.
Weston Rogers
BaylorGuy314 said:

It's actually been two restaurants since Twin Peaks... Location is now doomed and should be bulldozed and then sell the pad for someone to build from the ground up.

Also Pluckers along with Babe's Chicken have zero interest in Waco.
Coke Bear
Weston Rogers said:

Any idea why?
PartyBear
The Twin Peaks building needs to be torn down and something new needs to be built on the site. I really dont think any chain wants to take over the actual building and try to put a restaurant where those murders took place.
FranchiseBear
Pluckers has significant white space to fill in major metro areas where they already have operations, distribution, management, marketing, etc. I believe all locations are corporately owned.

The growth strategy makes sense.
WacoKelly83
I'd rather have a Waffle House come to Waco than any other casual chain . My cardiologist and endocrinologist would disagree.
PartyBear
Kerby Lane I believe has plans to expand out of Austin. That would be cool to have.
Robert Wilson
Coke Bear said:

Weston Rogers said:

Any idea why?

Don't we already have like 19 chicken tender/chicken wing chains in town?
FranchiseBear
You should move to ATL!
Coke Bear
FranchiseBear said:

Pluckers has significant white space to fill in major metro areas where they already have operations, distribution, management, marketing, etc. I believe all locations are corporately owned.

The growth strategy makes sense.
Great explanation, thanks!

*Username checks out.
Grinnin bear
BaylorGuy314 said:

I've got to say that there just are not that many cities anymore that can say, "That location is really a good one. Restaurant X was doing super well before the shootout happened..."
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.