The paper said another Cotton Patch Cafe is going in at the front of the Cinemark

7,906 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cowboycwr
whitetrash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Grinnin bear said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Can we get a Pluckers in the old Twin Peaks building? That building is still sitting vacant and its not a bad location at all. Twin Peaks did decently before the shootout and then it sat for a while until the dust cleared only to get turned into a very subpar seafood place. Lights have been off since that seafood shack closed up at least a year ago.
I've got to say that there just are not that many cities that can say, "That location is really a good one. Restaurant X was doing super well before the shootout happened..."
Biograph Theater in Chicago
Macchio's Red Fox Restaurant in Detroit
Sparks Steakhouse in Midtown Manhattan
Can probably even add the bowling alley in downtown Houston where some rapper got whacked last night
Coke Bear
whitetrash said:

Grinnin bear said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Can we get a Pluckers in the old Twin Peaks building? That building is still sitting vacant and its not a bad location at all. Twin Peaks did decently before the shootout and then it sat for a while until the dust cleared only to get turned into a very subpar seafood place. Lights have been off since that seafood shack closed up at least a year ago.
I've got to say that there just are not that many cities that can say, "That location is really a good one. Restaurant X was doing super well before the shootout happened..."
Can probably even add the bowling alley in downtown Houston where some rapper got whacked last night
Add the Copacabana to that list. Poor Rico.
whitetrash
Coke Bear said:

whitetrash said:

Grinnin bear said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Add the Copacabana to that list. Poor Rico.
Tony was the one offed. No mention of Rico's fate. Lola was still blotto drunk 35 years later.
Robert Wilson
Grinnin bear said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

I've got to say that there just are not that many cities anymore that can say, "That location is really a good one. Restaurant X was doing super well before the shootout happened..."
SIx Shooter Junction...
4yrletterbear
I ate at the Cotton Patch in Tyler this afternoon. I had the Chicken fried Chicken, squash and green beans. All very good. The hot rolls and honey butrer are excellent.

I eat often at the one in Longview as well.

Fine dining it is not. Good food at a reasonable price it is.
Edmond Bear
whitetrash said:

Grinnin bear said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

Maybe someone could open in that space as The Ghost House and claim that ghosts still walk around the restaurant, bringing you extra rolls or refilling your sweet tea. People'd flock to that.

Pseudo3D
Weston Rogers said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

It's actually been two restaurants since Twin Peaks... Location is now doomed and should be bulldozed and then sell the pad for someone to build from the ground up.

Also Pluckers along with Babe's Chicken have zero interest in Waco.
Scotty's Brewhouse went bankrupt as a chain, and Louisiana Crab Shack had the misfortune of opening up right before COVID. Restaurants are tough--it looks like Hawk's Hot Chicken bit it after less than two years in the Burger King up the street.
4th and Inches
Pseudo3D said:

Weston Rogers said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

It's actually been two restaurants since Twin Peaks... Location is now doomed and should be bulldozed and then sell the pad for someone to build from the ground up.

Scotty's Brewhouse went bankrupt as a chain, and Louisiana Crab Shack had the misfortune of opening up right before COVID. Restaurants are tough--it looks like Hawk's Hot Chicken bit it after less than two years in the Burger King up the street.
rough spot for Hawks, covid plus road construction made it a tough go i am sure
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
whitetrash
4th and Inches said:

Pseudo3D said:

Weston Rogers said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

rough spot for Hawks, covid plus road construction made it a tough go i am sure

Plus the one time I went it just wasn't very good.
Yogi
PartyBear said:

All I can say is seriously???? Building another of something already in Waco there? I thought there was some other place called "Willie's" or something going in there.

Willie's Ice House is going in as well as Cotton Patch.
BaylorBJM
PartyBear said:

BylrFan said:

What a miss for an otherwise great area
I was thinking that as well. Why would the owner of the development cut this deal?

Most developers aren't out to "cut" a deal which is best for the culinary likes of potential customers.

They're out to maximize the best purchase or ground lease return possible on their pads.
PartyBear
BaylorBJM said:

PartyBear said:

BylrFan said:

I was thinking that as well. Why would the owner of the development cut this deal?

Most developers aren't out to "cut" a deal which is best for the culinary likes of potential customers.

They're out to maximize the best purchase or ground lease return possible on their pads.
Kind of goes hand in hand though when cutting a deal with a restaurant. As others have said Cotton Patch doesnt seem draw alot currently and hasnt for quite some time enough to justify a second location and I bet the second location wont draw alot with all the nearby competition of the second location.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Cotton Patch doesnt seem draw alot currently
The current location is shabby and ill maintained. Service is slow and surly. It shouldn't draw a lot. I'll bet they are leaving it like it is with the intent to nuke it for the new location on the freeway.
PartyBear
Well...you know it isnt really a hip and trendy chain whether it is a brand new location or a 20 year old location. I just dont think the young folks leaving Top Golf or the movies are going to be in the mood to party with pot roast and ice tea afterwards. I think they will opt for Happy Hour at Chuy's or one of the other places right in the same area.
BaylorBJM
PartyBear said:

BaylorBJM said:

PartyBear said:

BylrFan said:

Kind of goes hand in hand though when cutting a deal with a restaurant. As others have said Cotton Patch doesnt seem draw alot currently and hasnt for quite some time enough to justify a second location and I bet the second location wont draw alot with all the nearby competition of the second location.
Even better. I ground lease the site to Cotton Patch corporate, have them construct the building at their expense entirely while they send me sizable monthly rent checks, then they blow out in 2 or 3 years and I've retained both the land and building and can subsequently lease it back to a new user at a significantly higher price.

Sounds like a dream scenario to me
Pseudo3D
PartyBear said:

Well...you know it isnt really a hip and trendy chain whether it is a brand new location or a 20 year old location. I just dont think the young folks leaving Top Golf or the movies are going to be in the mood to party with pot roast and ice tea afterwards. I think they will opt for Happy Hour at Chuy's or one of the other places right in the same area.
Cotton Patch Cafe isn't so out of it that any new location wouldn't "be" a new location. There's a Grandy's somewhere in the Southeast that relocated to a new building a few years ago, but with that stone exterior and modern dining room, it doesn't feel like a Grandy's anymore.
cowboycwr
PartyBear said:

Have you been into Cheddar's? Their menu is very similar to Cotton patch and the young folks seem to like it. I bet it will do fine there. Maybe get a good crowd from I35 travel if it isn't too far off the road as well as in town people/suburbs.
cowboycwr
This weekend we used a gift card to Texas Roadhouse. We got our food to go and ordered at what we thought was an off time due to our running errands- 3PM. The place was still packed with a line outside.

It made me think of this thread/ Cotton Patch opening a second location and yet a restaurant that could have a second location and both do well like a Roadhouse has no plans for it. I know there one location is right in the middle of town (on 35) but it seems they could easily have one at the marketplace and one north side of town like Bellmead or something.
BaylorHistory
cowboycwr said:

This weekend we used a gift card to Texas Roadhouse. We got our food to go and ordered at what we thought was an off time due to our running errands- 3PM. The place was still packed with a line outside.
Am I the only one that just doesn't get Roadhouse? I've never left there saying "damn that was a good meal!"
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
PartyBear
cowboycwr said:

It made me think of this thread/ Cotton Patch opening a second location and yet a restaurant that could have a second location and both do well like a Roadhouse has no plans for it. I know there one location is right in the middle of town (on 35) but it seems they could easily have one at the marketplace and one north side of town like Bellmead or something.
Marketplace is about 2 miles from the current location on 35. That seems too close. Maybe out in the Lorena area or a little south whenever that all starts developing into a continuous area from Waco to Temple (similar to Austin to Georgetown) but that is probably still another 10 years away.
cowboycwr
PartyBear said:

cowboycwr said:

Marketplace is about 2 miles from the current location on 35. That seems too close. Maybe out in the Lorena area or a little south whenever that all starts developing into a continuous area from Waco to Temple (similar to Austin to Georgetown) but that is probably still another 10 years away.
Yes that is why I thought they could have one at the market place and one north of town. As in leave the current building for two new ones. Their current location probably hinders a second one in the Waco area but with as busy as they always are I think a second one could do well.

Maybe over on 84 in the Woodway area would be another possible location.
BellCountyBear
BaylorHistory said:

cowboycwr said:

Am I the only one that just doesn't get Roadhouse? I've never left there saying "damn that was a good meal!"

Same. The one in Temple is always packed. Maybe more people like obnoxious ambience and cracking open peanuts than I thought!
trey3216
cowboycwr said:

PartyBear said:

cowboycwr said:

Yes that is why I thought they could have one at the market place and one north of town. As in leave the current building for two new ones. Their current location probably hinders a second one in the Waco area but with as busy as they always are I think a second one could do well.

they have one in Temple as well. There's no way they'd open location that would put 3 within 25 miles of each other given the population base.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
PartyBear
The population base isn't small. The Central Texas metroplex has about 750k people.
cowboycwr
trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

PartyBear said:

cowboycwr said:

they have one in Temple as well. There's no way they'd open location that would put 3 within 25 miles of each other given the population base.
Almost no one from Temple comes to Waco to eat or the other way around. There might be a few exceptions but not enough to count a restaurant in Temple as being too close to one in Waco.

With as busy as the one in Waco is it is clear they could open two locations if they were a little more spread out than the current central location. Even one on 84 in the Woodway area would do well and always be packed like the current one.
T-REX
PartyBear said:

The population base isn't small. The Central Texas metroplex has about 750k people.
That's not what the actual market size is based on tho.
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Pseudo3D
cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

PartyBear said:

cowboycwr said:

Almost no one from Temple comes to Waco to eat or the other way around. There might be a few exceptions but not enough to count a restaurant in Temple as being too close to one in Waco.

With as busy as the one in Waco is it is clear they could open two locations if they were a little more spread out than the current central location. Even one on 84 in the Woodway area would do well and always be packed like the current one.
Maybe for destination restaurants but I don't think Waco-Temple-Killeen has many of them.

That being said, the Luby's in Temple had a message on its marquee after it closed that the Bellmead location was still open, but given it was 40 miles away I don't think many people took them up on the offer.
trey3216
cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

PartyBear said:

cowboycwr said:

People travel from Temple to Waco and vice versa to eat all the time.
OsoCoreyell
BellCountyBear said:

BaylorHistory said:

cowboycwr said:

Same. The one in Temple is always packed. Maybe more people like obnoxious ambience and cracking open peanuts than I thought!
I mean, Heitmiller stayed open for years with an inferior product. Farmers/ranchers are not discerning patrons.
BellCountyBear
OsoCoreyell said:

BellCountyBear said:

BaylorHistory said:

cowboycwr said:

I mean, Heitmiller stayed open for years with an inferior product. Farmers/ranchers are not discerning patrons.
Neither are military families.
cowboycwr
trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

PartyBear said:

cowboycwr said:

As I said earlier there are some but the vast majority of people in either city do not. Definitely not enough to count one cities population as potential customers for a location in the other city.
trey3216
cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

PartyBear said:

cowboycwr said:

As I said earlier there are some but the vast majority of people in either city do not. Definitely not enough to count one cities population as potential customers for a location in the other city.
Fair enough man. I forgot how much you know about restaurants and markets.
BaylorHistory
I remember as a kid getting all dressed up 3 or 4 times a year to make the special trip down to the Stagecoach Inn in Salado from Waco for our "fancy" dinners. I can still remember my order of Fruit salad, fruit cocktail, chicken fried fteak, & strawberry kiss. I was sad to see it close when it did just for nostalgia. I know it's been reopened since, but it isn't the same.
cowboycwr
trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

trey3216 said:

cowboycwr said:

PartyBear said:

cowboycwr said:

Fair enough man. I forgot how much you know about restaurants and markets.

Never said I did. But I know enough to know that the vast majority of the population of temple and the greater Waco area do not drive on a regular basis to the other city to eat.

Look on this site for proof. People that live in woodway/Hewitt don't want to drive to downtown Waco to eat on a regular basis. No way are they driving FURTHER to Temple.

Yes there are exceptions, as I have said already, but not enough that it would or should be counted as regular potential customers.

If you have hard solid evidence that over 50% of the population of either city drives to the other city on a regular basis please provide and prove my statement wrong.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.