Best Pizza?

10,149 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by 91 Bear
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Localbear said:

I am thinking maybe I should open a pizza place when I move to Waco as a side business because what I am seeing from this thread is there is no clear winner and mostly a bunch of just oks
As a general rule you should probably not follow advice on this board about almost any Waco restaurant described as not being that good.
T-REX
I know mama Barris died but is it still good? Never tried the bellmead location l, if it is still there, but always loved the size of the pie you got at the valley mills & Hewitt locations. Never had issues there when growing up and going there mostly as a post church thing on Sundays. Parking was only problem with the VM location
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
SteamedHams
T-REX said:

I know mama Barris died but is it still good? Never tried the bellmead location l, if it is still there, but always loved the size of the pie you got at the valley mills & Hewitt locations. Never had issues there when growing up and going there mostly as a post church thing on Sundays. Parking was only problem with the VM location

That is the single worst restaurant parking situation in Central Texas
boykin_spaniel
Baris is all about that bread. Get some homemade lasagna and BYOB a bottle of wine or a couple of Peroni's. That's a damn good evening right there.
Very sad about mama Baris. That woman was a Saint.
4th and Inches
SteamedHams said:

T-REX said:

and yet they are always busy and never felt the need to change it or move locations.. thats how you know its good.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Moondoggie
Yes, baris still rocks. Used to invite Mary's sons Adam and Joey to my frat's parties back in the day. Love those guys.

I'm a total rollos fan but a baris neopolitan sure makes me feel like I'm in NYC.
BaylorGuy314
cowboycwr said:

That list is very flawed. No way Papa Rollos is number 1. Not even top 5 or 10. I have never had Moroso so can't comment there

I would put places like Mod, BJ Brewhouse, slow rise, The Village pizzeria (union hall), Rosati's, Old Chicago, Shorty's, or even a few others that just have pizza on the menu but aren't a pizza place before PR.

Edit: I have also heard that Chucks Pizza out on Lake shore is good, as well as Hunt brothers (don't remember where they are) and a pizza food truck (don't remember the name).

I could see how some could say Marcos as well. I have only eaten it once but it seemed really good.

Another place I liked but closed was one where you had to cook it at home but it was really good. It was on Hewitt Dr right across from HEB. I think it was called Murphy's pizza or Papa Murphy's but I really liked it and thought it was good.

I can't eat at Rosati's again. I used to love that place but the last three times I've been there (two by my decision, one someone else's choice), it was god awful. I'm talking over an hour to get a kids mac and cheese out that had hair in it. Another time it took an hour and a half after we ordered to get our food. Some dishes were legitimately cold- not lukewarm-ish but literally cold like they had been sitting next to a freezer for an hour. None of these times was it busy but they were insanely understaffed. To say it's gone down hill incredibly fast is an understatement. I think COVID was their downfall.

I don't know how someone can't rank Poppa Rollos as in the Top 3. It's not Chicago deep dish but it's thick pizza, loaded with really good toppings, on a fantastic crust. Their ranch as a dipping sauce is the best homemade ranch I've ever had in my life and my mother makes a mean ranch dressing on her own.

Mod Pizza is awful...or my many experiences in Waco, Dallas, and Houston were all subpar. It's not a good value and is mediocre (IMO).

Alf
4th and Inches said:

SteamedHams said:

T-REX said:

and yet they are always busy and never felt the need to change it or move locations.. thats how you know its good.

True but at some point you should take your customers parking convenience into consideration. I have done a lot of drive by passed Barris simply because I didn't want to deal with parking situation.
SteamedHams
BaylorGuy314 said:

cowboycwr said:

That list is very flawed. No way Papa Rollos is number 1. Not even top 5 or 10. I have never had Moroso so can't comment there

I would put places like Mod, BJ Brewhouse, slow rise, The Village pizzeria (union hall), Rosati's, Old Chicago, Shorty's, or even a few others that just have pizza on the menu but aren't a pizza place before PR.

Edit: I have also heard that Chucks Pizza out on Lake shore is good, as well as Hunt brothers (don't remember where they are) and a pizza food truck (don't remember the name).

I could see how some could say Marcos as well. I have only eaten it once but it seemed really good.

Another place I liked but closed was one where you had to cook it at home but it was really good. It was on Hewitt Dr right across from HEB. I think it was called Murphy's pizza or Papa Murphy's but I really liked it and thought it was good.

I can't eat at Rosati's again. I used to love that place but the last three times I've been there (two by my decision, one someone else's choice), it was god awful. I'm talking over an hour to get a kids mac and cheese out that had hair in it. Another time it took an hour and a half after we ordered to get our food. Some dishes were legitimately cold- not lukewarm-ish but literally cold like they had been sitting next to a freezer for an hour. None of these times was it busy but they were insanely understaffed. To say it's gone down hill incredibly fast is an understatement. I think COVID was their downfall.

I don't know how someone can't rank Poppa Rollos as in the Top 3. It's not Chicago deep dish but it's thick pizza, loaded with really good toppings, on a fantastic crust. Their ranch as a dipping sauce is the best homemade ranch I've ever had in my life and my mother makes a mean ranch dressing on her own.

Mod Pizza is awful...or my many experiences in Waco, Dallas, and Houston were all subpar. It's not a good value and is mediocre (IMO).

My wife thinks Poppa Rollos has the best salad in town, throw in some bacon bits, you got yourself a winner.

I never had a bad experience at Mod Pizza or (900 Pizza), thought it was fairly decent for the price. I agree that Rosati's is just...not good.

I would also like to trash Double Dave's. That place has gone SO far downhill in recent years. We went there a month ago after swearing not to return, and it was so trashed. They had two of their long booths completely filled with used plates, cups, etc, as they just refused to stop cleaning. Soiled napkins and silverware everywhere, flies all over, it was HORRID.
redfish961
BaylorGuy314 said:

cowboycwr said:

Same experience here.

Used to be my favorite, but won't really even try now.

I noticed a change slightly before Covid and after a little digging they either changed owners or management.

Was never the same after that and after 3 attempts, the pizza was slow, not good, and overpriced for what we were getting.
Edmond Bear
SteamedHams said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

cowboycwr said:

My wife thinks Poppa Rollos has the best salad in town, throw in some bacon bits, you got yourself a winner.

I never had a bad experience at Mod Pizza or (900 Pizza), thought it was fairly decent for the price. I agree that Rosati's is just...not good.

I would also like to trash Double Dave's. That place has gone SO far downhill in recent years. We went there a month ago after swearing not to return, and it was so trashed. They had two of their long booths completely filled with used plates, cups, etc, as they just refused to stop cleaning. Soiled napkins and silverware everywhere, flies all over, it was HORRID.

I used to like Mod pizza but our last experience was pretty bad. Seems like they have done a lot of cost cutting with ingredients. Tasted like a cheap microwave pizza.
BaylorGuy314
Agree that DD has gone downhill as well.
Coke Bear
Quite frankly, DD's pizza has always ranged between OK to good. Having said that, their Pepperoni Rolls are to die for. My picture is on the wall for betting their Pepperoni Roll challenge - 12 rolls in less than 30 minutes.

We used to enjoy their buffet because you got to sample everything - pepperoni rolls, pizza, salad, Stromboli, and dessert pizzas (chocolate chip cookie).

But with three kids, it was $50+ for the buffet, it just wasn't worth it. I can buy a whole lot of pie for $50+ dollars.
T-REX
Coke Bear said:

Quite frankly, DD's pizza has always ranged between OK to good. Having said that, their Pepperoni Rolls are to die for. My picture is on the wall for betting their Pepperoni Roll challenge - 12 rolls in less than 30 minutes.

We used to enjoy their buffet because you got to sample everything - pepperoni rolls, pizza, salad, Stromboli, and dessert pizzas (chocolate chip cookie).

But with three kids, it was $50+ for the buffet, it just wasn't worth it. I can buy a whole lot of pie for $50+ dollars.
I was on the wall, actually did the challenge twice but only took my photo once, back in like 2009. Wonder if it's still up there. Not a hard challenge at all honestly
Baylor MBA 2023
Boernebear
Some good ones mentioned here, but surprised no one has mentioned Portofino's downtown - their pizza is pretty good.

And regarding Pignetti's, I are there for the first time a couple weeks ago for a late dinner and had an excellent meal and service. Will definitely go back. And weirdly enough, the Brussels sprouts were among the best I have ever had anywhere (and I've had some excellent renditions of them over the years).
Twitter: @BoerneBear | #SicEm
Edmond Bear
Boernebear said:

Some good ones mentioned here, but surprised no one has mentioned Portofino's downtown - their pizza is pretty good.

And regarding Pignetti's, I are there for the first time a couple weeks ago for a late dinner and had an excellent meal and service. Will definitely go back. And weirdly enough, the Brussels sprouts were among the best I have ever had anywhere (and I've had some excellent renditions of them over the years).

This is good news. Have reservations to take my family to Pignetti's tonight,
Biscuits_and_Gravy
No one has mentioned Southern Roots? It's our current go-to for pizza.
baylrballa
Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Really?

I'm sorry.
WacoKelly83
Didn't see Baris mentioned. I haven't been since Mary Baris passed but they made some good pizza. Anybody been recently?
SteamedHams
Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Their pizza is…ok. But their pretzels are *awesome*.
Nguyen One Soon
WacoKelly83 said:

Didn't see Baris mentioned. I haven't been since Mary Baris passed but they made some good pizza. Anybody been recently?
At least five posts on this page about them. Reading can be such a challenge.
4th and Inches
Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

never heard of it.. where is that?
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
T-REX
4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Hewitt plus a location on the river at the old steak house location near hearing
Baylor MBA 2023
4th and Inches
T-REX said:

4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Hewitt plus a location on the river at the old steak house location near hearing
i thought that was slow rise, same place?

–Horace

T-REX
4th and Inches said:

T-REX said:

4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

i thought that was slow rise, same place?
wow I messed that up. You're right lol. Nevermind I think k southern roots is a brewery near downtown right?
Baylor MBA 2023
SteamedHams
T-REX said:

4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

This is…all wrong.

Slowrise has a Woodway location and one on the River. Southern Roots, however, has a single brewpub location downtown, 8th and Columbus ish.
T-REX
SteamedHams said:

T-REX said:

4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

This is…all wrong.

Slowrise has a Woodway location and one on the River. Southern Roots, however, has a single brewpub location downtown, 8th and Columbus ish.
corrected myself above
Baylor MBA 2023
SteamedHams
T-REX said:

SteamedHams said:

T-REX said:

4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

This is…all wrong.

corrected myself above

I do see that, ya beat me to the punch.
T-REX
I've had southern roots twice but been a a couple years. Seemed decent
Baylor MBA 2023
Edmond Bear
Edmond Bear said:

Boernebear said:

This is good news. Have reservations to take my family to Pignetti's tonight,

Took my wife and two daughters and had a great experience. Waiter was attentive and the food was great. It was expensive compared to similar meals/places.

And, parking was a challenge. Evidently, Live Oak next door was having a Valentines dance and dads/daughters were using the Pignetti's lot for parking.

FrankFallonCalling
For what it's worth, I've been to Pignettis in Temple 10+ times and NEVER had an above average experience. Always some combo of bad service, long order-to-served time, poor food quality, etc.

My trip on Friday was the complete opposite. Excellent waitress, good wine rec, and the lobster ravioli was among the best I've ever had. Good on ya, Pignettis.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Ignore those people . It's on 8th and Washington. The pizza is better than ok, it's not all greasy and gooey half baked crust like some places mentioned. We enjoy it and they have great beer as well.

https://southernrootsbrewingco.com/
loanbear
Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Ignore those people . It's on 8th and Washington. The pizza is better than ok, it's not all greasy and gooey half baked crust like some places mentioned. We enjoy it and they have great beer as well.

Agreed. I think their beer is just ok.

They have a spicy pizza that is awesome.
forza orsi
loanbear said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Agreed. I think their beer is just ok.

They have a spicy pizza that is awesome.

Southern Roots is now going to make the old Bosque Amber, (for those of you old enough to remember it). It was Waco's first craft brewery back in 1995, started by Kendall Garrison. Kendall had a great idea, just slightly ahead of his time. Waco in the 90's - who needed more than Bud, Miller, and Coors? They're doing this "throwback" beer to honor the first guy to try it here. I thought it was pretty cool of them to do that. Available February 16, I think.
PartyBear
I had forgotten about this wasn't it called Bosque Brew?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.