Best Pizza?

10,141 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by 91 Bear
FrankFallonCalling
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Someone has to bring back the Bosque Amber Root Beer recipe. It had a hint of clove or something. Really unique.
forza orsi
PartyBear said:

I had forgotten about this wasn't it called Bosque Brew?

Bosque Brewing Company was the name of the company. They made Bosque Amber Ale, Bosque Honey Lager, Bosque Porter, and Bosque Root Beer. And they were probably most famous for the root beer. Last I knew, the only copy of the recipe was on a card that Kendall carried in his wallet.
cowboycwr
BaylorGuy314 said:

cowboycwr said:

That list is very flawed. No way Papa Rollos is number 1. Not even top 5 or 10. I have never had Moroso so can't comment there

I would put places like Mod, BJ Brewhouse, slow rise, The Village pizzeria (union hall), Rosati's, Old Chicago, Shorty's, or even a few others that just have pizza on the menu but aren't a pizza place before PR.

Edit: I have also heard that Chucks Pizza out on Lake shore is good, as well as Hunt brothers (don't remember where they are) and a pizza food truck (don't remember the name).

I could see how some could say Marcos as well. I have only eaten it once but it seemed really good.

Another place I liked but closed was one where you had to cook it at home but it was really good. It was on Hewitt Dr right across from HEB. I think it was called Murphy's pizza or Papa Murphy's but I really liked it and thought it was good.

I can't eat at Rosati's again. I used to love that place but the last three times I've been there (two by my decision, one someone else's choice), it was god awful. I'm talking over an hour to get a kids mac and cheese out that had hair in it. Another time it took an hour and a half after we ordered to get our food. Some dishes were legitimately cold- not lukewarm-ish but literally cold like they had been sitting next to a freezer for an hour. None of these times was it busy but they were insanely understaffed. To say it's gone down hill incredibly fast is an understatement. I think COVID was their downfall.

I don't know how someone can't rank Poppa Rollos as in the Top 3. It's not Chicago deep dish but it's thick pizza, loaded with really good toppings, on a fantastic crust. Their ranch as a dipping sauce is the best homemade ranch I've ever had in my life and my mother makes a mean ranch dressing on her own.

Mod Pizza is awful...or my many experiences in Waco, Dallas, and Houston were all subpar. It's not a good value and is mediocre (IMO).

I will admit I have not eaten at Rosati's in about 5 years but I have never had any issues like what you had happen.

I will have to disagree on PRs. Their pizza is good but not top 3 or even top 5 IMO. I also do not think their ranch is that good. And to me ranch on pizza is to hide the inadequacies of the pizza.

Mod is good and I have always enjoyed it and had great experiences.
trey3216
loanbear said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

No one has mentioned Southern Roots? It's our current go-to for pizza.
never heard of it.. where is that?

Ignore those people . It's on 8th and Washington. The pizza is better than ok, it's not all greasy and gooey half baked crust like some places mentioned. We enjoy it and they have great beer as well.

https://southernrootsbrewingco.com/

Agreed. I think their beer is just ok.

They have a spicy pizza that is awesome.
Correct. Their pizza isn't bad at all (although their sausage is extraordinarily bland tasting) but their beer is very, very, very average. It's better than Bare Arms, but that's not saying a bunch.

Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
jimdue
trey3216 said:

loanbear said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Ignore those people . It's on 8th and Washington. The pizza is better than ok, it's not all greasy and gooey half baked crust like some places mentioned. We enjoy it and they have great beer as well.

Correct. Their pizza isn't bad at all (although their sausage is extraordinarily bland tasting) but their beer is very, very, very average. It's better than Bare Arms, but that's not saying a bunch.

I actually ate there yesterday for the first time before the basketball game. I would grade the pizza a B and the beer a C+.
loanbear
trey3216 said:

loanbear said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

I judge all local brews against Brotherwell's Act of Faith. I don't really drink beer all that much but that beer is amazingly good.
trey3216
loanbear said:

trey3216 said:

loanbear said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

I judge all local brews against Brotherwell's Act of Faith. I don't really drink beer all that much but that beer is amazingly good.
Brotherwell Act of Faith and Waco Ale Hop Burst are the gold standards locally. Both breweries have 7-8 beers on their list better than the best one brewed at Southern Roots or Bare Arms. That's about all you need to know.
T-REX
trey3216 said:

loanbear said:

trey3216 said:

loanbear said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Brotherwell Act of Faith and Waco Ale Hop Burst are the gold standards locally. Both breweries have 7-8 beers on their list better than the best one brewed at Southern Roots or Bare Arms. That's about all you need to know.
bare arms needs to rename to Bear Arms & go all in on marketing to Baylor fans
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
trey3216
T-REX said:

trey3216 said:

loanbear said:

trey3216 said:

loanbear said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

or go all in on recipes and ingredients
Alf
trey3216 said:

T-REX said:

trey3216 said:

loanbear said:

trey3216 said:

loanbear said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Or both
T-REX
trey3216 said:

T-REX said:

trey3216 said:

loanbear said:

trey3216 said:

loanbear said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

never had anything from them so no idea about their beer quality. Nor anything from brotherwell either to my recollection. I rarely drink beer before this past year and never drink it now due to dealing with gout.

I just like when local businesses use the home town team mascot in their branding whatever the business is. Now if only new strip clubs were allowed we could have teddy bears
Baylor MBA 2023
SteamedHams
T-REX said:

trey3216 said:

T-REX said:

trey3216 said:

loanbear said:

trey3216 said:

loanbear said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

never had anything from them so no idea about their beer quality. Nor anything from brotherwell either to my recollection. I rarely drink beer before this past year and never drink it now due to dealing with gout.

I just like when local businesses use the home town team mascot in their branding whatever the business is. Now if only new strip clubs were allowed we could have teddy bears

trey3216
T-REX said:

trey3216 said:

T-REX said:

trey3216 said:

loanbear said:

trey3216 said:

loanbear said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

beer will do a lot less of that than champagne and juice, vodka and juice, and sodas. Beer is much cleaner in the system
T-REX
trey3216 said:

T-REX said:

trey3216 said:

T-REX said:

trey3216 said:

loanbear said:

trey3216 said:

loanbear said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

4th and Inches said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

beer will do a lot less of that than champagne and juice, vodka and juice, and sodas. Beer is much cleaner in the system
I don't drink soda nor juice.
Baylor MBA 2023
joseywales
Edmond Bear said:

The Wacoan magazine lists the top 3 Pizzas in Waco from:
1) Poppa Rollo's
2) Moroso
3) Slow Rise

Is that right? Outside of nostalgia, is Poppa Rollo's that good?
Rosati, blows them all away.
trey3216
joseywales said:

Edmond Bear said:

1) Poppa Rollo's
2) Moroso
3) Slow Rise

maybe about 8-10 years ago, but no. Rosati's isn't even in the top 15 pizzas in waco
WacoCat
Before we moved to Waco over three years ago from DFW, we would drive down to Rollo's just for dinner. I've ordered the same thin (Mexican special with no onions and extra japs) for over 40 years. We go at least twice a month now and I seriously believe that it's gotten even better over the past few months.
Edmond Bear

Had my first Pizza Pillows from Shorty's last night. Not too shabby. Would do it again.
T-REX
WacoCat said:

Before we moved to Waco over three years ago from DFW, we would drive down to Rollo's just for dinner. I've ordered the same thin (Mexican special with no onions and extra japs) for over 40 years. We go at least twice a month now and I seriously believe that it's gotten even better over the past few months.
I need to take the wife sometime while in Waco. Haven't been there in like a decade
Baylor MBA 2023
AlexVelasquez
Moroso and Slow Rise bring their A-game too, each with unique flavors.
Deluxeragt
I've tried all three, and I gotta say, Poppa Rollo's holds a special place for many. It's not just about nostalgia; they've got a vibe that's hard to beat. I remember stumbling upon it while searching for pizza around me during a road trip. The cozy atmosphere and that perfect balance of flavors kept us coming back.

Pam Manhart
forza orsi said:

Moroso's pizza is excellent. Wood fired, more traditional Neapolitan style.
Di Campli does a very nice pizza too, true Italian style. I don't get it much there though because there are so many other good things on the menu. Moroso is mostly a pizzeria, so fewer things to distract me from the pizza.
You need to try Di Campli's new store/restaurant La Bottega on the Woodway side of the corner of Hewitt/Estates and 84/Woodway Dr. It's pizza, sandwiches, charcuterie, wine bottles and gelato in a more diner like atmosphere that also has a few basic Italian groceries. It reminds me of a Waco version of the Eataly concept.
baylor1984
I love me some Poppa Rollo's but it's always slow getting your food. Went to Slow Rise for the first time a couple of weeks ago and the pizza/service were both excellent.
BUAlum97
Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Same! When we moved back to Waco, the husband wanted to find good pizza. We loved Slow Rose for a bit but it has gone downhill. We enjoy the pizza pillows from Shortys, but our date night fave is Southern Roots. Hands down best pizza in Waco.
SteamedHams
Pam Manhart said:

forza orsi said:

Di Campli does a very nice pizza too, true Italian style. I don't get it much there though because there are so many other good things on the menu. Moroso is mostly a pizzeria, so fewer things to distract me from the pizza.
You need to try Di Campli's new store/restaurant La Bottega on the Woodway side of the corner of Hewitt/Estates and 84/Woodway Dr. It's pizza, sandwiches, charcuterie, wine bottles and gelato in a more diner like atmosphere that also has a few basic Italian groceries. It reminds me of a Waco version of the Eataly concept.

Agreed 100%. We had dinner there last week, did the charcuterie for appetizer, grabbed a bottle of wine off the shelf there, got the Gorgonzola pizza, and topped it off with some gelato for dessert, and it was all extremely good and moderately priced.

Would do it again in a heartbeat, 10/10.
Yogi
Poppa Rollo's is terrible. It's like rubber on a cardboard box. You go to PR for the cool digs. That is all.

Give me Shorty's, Slow Rise, or Italia Express on the mall over Rollo's any day.
ursamajor
joseywales said:

Edmond Bear said:

1) Poppa Rollo's
2) Moroso
3) Slow Rise

RIP Rosati's. No longer with us.
PartyBear
I noticed last night a Sushi Bar and Japanese Grill are going into Rosati's spot on Hewitt Drive. It didn't look open but the signage was up and lit up last night. Oddly enough I was driving home with pick up from the Poppa Rollo's out there.
forza orsi
Pam Manhart said:

forza orsi said:

I've been many times. They do an excellent pizza. We produce olive oil in Sicily and import it to Texas and Massimo sells it at La Bottega, so we are in there a lot. We love the food so we are really good customers. (And we're part of his basic Italian groceries you mentioned.)
PartyBear
Poppa Rollo's is excellent pizza and has acquired a fame to it (kind of like the Elite prior to the Magnolia take over). In fact celebs in town can sometimes be found there. Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemmons were in there during our football game against WVU for example.

There are a lot of good pizza places in Waco now and some have fancy atmospheres and charge more, which is what folks on this board in general tend to think is best when it come to restaurants I have noticed for years in these discussion. Most here kind of go Niles and Frazier Crane on us when it comes to food discussions. But PR's is really damn good pizza.
SteamedHams
I think the Hewitt Poppa Rollo's is substantially better than the OG Valley Mills PR.
PartyBear
I cant tell the difference in the pizza but it is more upscale on the inside than the one I will call the original one. I know it is not actually the original one. I basically just do take out at PRs though and do so at the Hewitt one. It had grown to be way too crowded and hectic that we had gone to take out only from there prior to the Hewitt one opening. Back before the Hewitt one opened, it had grown complicated and time consuming just to do take out (again popular joint). We live in Woodway and were quite happy one opened up in Hewitt almost 10 years ago now. But we are still in the habit of doing take out from there. I like green and gold and Baylor theme to the Hewitt location.
falconbear
PartyBear said:

Poppa Rollo's is excellent pizza and has acquired a fame to it (kind of like the Elite prior to the Magnolia take over). In fact celebs in town can sometimes be found there. Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemmons were in there during our football game against WVU for example.

There are a lot of good pizza places in Waco now and some have fancy atmospheres and charge more, which is what folks on this board in general tend to think is best when it come to restaurants I have noticed for years in these discussion. Most here kind of go Niles and Frazier Crane on us when it comes to food discussions. But PR's is really damn good pizza.
Never heard about this - why were they in town? Filming something?
Eleven-League Grant
PartyBear said:

Most here kind of go Niles and Frazier Crane on us when it comes to food discussions.
Surely we're not that bad, are we? For comparison purposes ...

Niles Crane orders a steak at one of his father's (not his) favorite steakhouses, the Timber Mill:
Quote:

Niles: I'll, I'd like a, a petite filet mignon, very lean - not so lean that it lacks flavour,
but not so fat that it leaves drippings on the plate.

And I don't want it cooked - just lightly seared on either side, pink in the
middle; not a true pink, but not a mauve either, something in between.

Bearing in mind the slightest error either way, and it's ruined.

- Frasier (Season 1, Episode 3)
4th and Inches
Eleven-League Grant said:

PartyBear said:

Most here kind of go Niles and Frazier Crane on us when it comes to food discussions.
Surely we're not that bad, are we? For comparison purposes ...

Niles Crane orders a steak at one of his father's (not his) favorite steakhouses, the Timber Mill:
Quote:

Niles: I'll, I'd like a, a petite filet mignon, very lean - not so lean that it lacks flavour,
but not so fat that it leaves drippings on the plate.

And I don't want it cooked - just lightly seared on either side, pink in the
middle; not a true pink, but not a mauve either, something in between.

Bearing in mind the slightest error either way, and it's ruined.

- Frasier (Season 1, Episode 3)

thats funny!

JMO but the filet is a terrible cut if you want flavor.. ribeye cab is the cut you want, tender like a filet but flavor like a ribeye

Back to pizza!
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.