State adds Twin Bridges replacement, U.S. 84 projects in Waco to 10-year plan

3,736 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by cowboycwr
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Grinnin bear
gobears20 said:

I can barely fathom how much it will cost and how long it will take to replace the Twin Bridges. Whoa...
4th and Inches
Another avenue from home to work gonna be screwed up.. if they overlap the bridges and the 84 intersection at 6 work.. they hate me!
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
CTbruin
The flyover at 84 and 6 is way passed due. Currently really bad traffic backups daily. I can't imagine how traffic is rerouted during construction.
CTbruin
gobears20 said:

I'm so old I remember when this was built in the 60s.
SteamedHams
CTbruin said:

The flyover at 84 and 6 is way passed due. Currently really bad traffic backups daily. I can't imagine how traffic is rerouted during construction.
It is SO bad. I got stuck there for well over 30 minutes last week when I left about 7 minutes later than I normally do. Getting onto eastbound highway 6 towards 35 from 84 is just atrocious.
trey3216
SteamedHams said:

CTbruin said:

It is SO bad. I got stuck there for well over 30 minutes last week when I left about 7 minutes later than I normally do. Getting onto eastbound highway 6 towards 35 from 84 is just atrocious.
Yep. Especially because you can't go the back way down Texas Central Pkwy either since it's being worked on. Just a total disaster.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Coke Bear
SteamedHams said:

CTbruin said:

The new NO RIGHT ON RED policy is only making it worse. When I have to go that direction, I just skip it and go right at the Y on Franklin, then turn right on New Road, and then enter I-35 that direction.

I've taken Franklin to VM drive, but it doesn't seem like the lights are timed too well.
trey3216
Coke Bear said:

SteamedHams said:

CTbruin said:

The new NO RIGHT ON RED policy is only making it worse. When I have to go that direction, I just skip it and go right at the Y on Franklin, then turn right on New Road, and then enter I-35 that direction.

I've taken Franklin to VM drive, but it doesn't seem like the lights are timed too well.
I pretty much take Franklin all the way downtown if I'm trying to get downtown, because it's too big a hassle to drive down Hewitt Dr to 35 or to get on Loop 340. I can go the back way down Ritchie and skip most of the traffic on Hewitt Dr, but that's still taking me 4 miles out of the way.
SteamedHams
trey3216 said:

Coke Bear said:

SteamedHams said:

CTbruin said:

I pretty much take Franklin all the way downtown if I'm trying to get downtown, because it's too big a hassle to drive down Hewitt Dr to 35 or to get on Loop 340. I can go the back way down Ritchie and skip most of the traffic on Hewitt Dr, but that's still taking me 4 miles out of the way.
If I hit that 84/6 right-hand turn before 7:20 I'm usually ok (although still garbage compared to pre-construction), if its after 7:30 it starts to really backup and its time for a new plan.

I tend to go Franklin to VM and hope for the good lights -- although the one at Katie's Custard usually gets me, infuriating.

A flyover at 84/6 would be worth whatever nightmare the construction was. I remember how terrible it was when they did the overpass at 84 and Speegleville, but I give thanks to God and TXDOT every day that I get to zip right over it now, was worth the hassle.
CTbruin
There is so much growth going on west of Waco on 84, including McGregor. Both residential and commercial. Hwy 84 is becoming our Central Expressway.
Blackjack Bear
Same here CT. I can even remember the old highway 6 bridge over old lake Waco.
4th and Inches
Coke Bear said:

SteamedHams said:

CTbruin said:

new road to 84 is a good alternative to 6 & 84 as well as 6 to 35 construction
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
trey3216
4th and Inches said:

Coke Bear said:

SteamedHams said:

CTbruin said:

Not necessarily if you're coming from the west. Can get stacked up far enough where you can't even get to turn right on New Rd.
4th and Inches
trey3216 said:

4th and Inches said:

Coke Bear said:

SteamedHams said:

CTbruin said:

Not necessarily if you're coming from the west. Can get stacked up far enough where you can't even get to turn right on New Rd.
true, new rd and franklin is a bit of a mess too

–Horace

Coke Bear
Yes, but it really depends on the time of day.

I would never take it during the afternoon rush hour.
RightRevBear
SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

Coke Bear said:

SteamedHams said:

CTbruin said:

If I hit that 84/6 right-hand turn before 7:20 I'm usually ok (although still garbage compared to pre-construction), if its after 7:30 it starts to really backup and its time for a new plan.

I tend to go Franklin to VM and hope for the good lights -- although the one at Katie's Custard usually gets me, infuriating.

A flyover at 84/6 would be worth whatever nightmare the construction was. I remember how terrible it was when they did the overpass at 84 and Speegleville, but I give thanks to God and TXDOT every day that I get to zip right over it now, was worth the hassle.

Yeah the Katie's Custard lights get me too. I see them on and I am powerless to their pull. They delay me 15 minutes at minimum, and my usual the Strawbana sets me back around $6.50.
Marlin3030
Bad wreck there yesterday with the guy on the motorcycle.
SteamedHams
Marlin3030 said:

Yep…19 year old Lorena kid weaving in/out of traffic, hit a guardrail, DOA. Was stuck in that traffic and you could see the white sheet down.
4th and Inches
SteamedHams said:

Marlin3030 said:

Yep…19 year old Lorena kid weaving in/out of traffic, hit a guardrail, DOA. Was stuck in that traffic and you could see the white sheet down.
sad..

–Horace

Yogi
SteamedHams said:

Marlin3030 said:

Really, really sad. A good kid.

He was a star receiver on Lorena's 2021 State Championship team.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Yogi
CTbruin said:

gobears20 said:

I'm so old I remember when this was built in the 60s.

I am so old, I can't remember diddly squat

Scratch that. I remember when they last worked on the twin bridges three or so years ago.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
UBBY
Does anyone know when they're going to start the rest of the i-35 construction? Or the lane expansion and bridges they're going to make from the loop 340/hwy 6 crossing to bellmead?
Eleven-League Grant
Quote:

Or the lane expansion and bridges they're going to make from the loop 340/hwy 6 crossing to bellmead?
I've been unable to ascertain a clear answer on this. In February, TxDOT officials went before the Waco MPO and said that if the MPO would double its current funding for the East Loop 340 project, that the Waco District of TxDOT would push to get the remaining funds for the East Loop 340 project (over $100 million) in the upcoming 2024 UTP. The Waco MPO agreed in principle to do just that, and there was talk at that meeting that the construction contracts would be let by the end of 2025.

Well, the 2024 UTP was finalized and all the talk now is about finishing I-35. I've heard nothing else about East Loop 340. Like the late comedian Rodney Dangerfield, the East Loop 340 project seems perpetually to get no respect, which I attribute to the relative lack of political power and financial interests in the East Waco / Bellmead areas.

Unfortunately, whether or not one has any direct interest in East Waco or Bellmead, completing a functional loop around Waco, (and a smoother transition for regional traffic going to and from Highway 6 to DFW) would offer benefits to folks outside just those two areas.

I apologize for the long answer. It's just that this particular project has been getting placed on the back burner for decades, it seems. In the meantime, East Loop 340 continues to remain predominately 2-lane.
Coke Bear
Eleven-League Grant said:

I apologize for the long answer. It's just that this particular project has been getting placed on the back burner for decades, it seems. In the meantime, East Loop 340 continues to remain predominately 2-lane.
This is a little frustrating. As a person that works on this side of town and uses that area, this sucks. I officiate HS sports. I take that route when I need to east to Riesel, Mart, Bremond, etc. It is back-up during the school year.
SteamedHams
The new exit for 84 off Highway 6 (where Whataburger is) opened up. Project obviously isn't completed but you aren't relegated to taking a Frankenstein'd Imperial exit to get to 84. Was pretty wide, definitely an improvement. Ain't no flyover, but, it's something.

The Highway 6 exit off 84 to go towards 35 (where the Valero is) is as crappy and garbage as ever. No right turn on red and single lane, mornings are just impossible there, especially with so many 18 wheelers.
CObear
The wind shifted from the south to from the north about two hours ago. Relief!
cowboycwr
That will sure mess up traffic for a while. Especially if they have to turn one of the bridges into 2 way traffic with one lane each.

When they tear the bridge down do they just let it fall in the lake or try to take piece by piece off (big ones) and let little ones fall?

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.