Alas, Owen-Illinois, we knew thee well.

1,678 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by BCL79
Yogi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It is the end of an era in Waco, Texas. Three generations of my family worked at that plant. Mos5 of tthose old houses in South Waco were built to house the plant workers. I myself spent the first part of my life on Daugherty Avenue.

I sure miss the old picnics at the clubhouse on University Parks Drive.

I guess the one good that will come out of this is that those old, ugly water towers will be coming down soon.

The site of the factory itself will be fantastic given the improved access to and from 340.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Yogi
https://www.kwtx.com/2023/09/20/o-i-glass-waco-stop-production-mid-october-close-facility-dec-1/
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Eleven-League Grant
That is an interesting manufacturing operation.

I recall touring that plant many years ago. The first thing they did was make us all put in ear plugs. The sound of the glass bottles banging together constantly as they traveled down all the conveyors would be deafening otherwise.

I think it would take some getting used to having to spend an entire 8-hour shift wearing ear plugs and being in your own little world.

I also would think the need for glass beer bottles remains strong. Does Owens-Illinois have more efficient plants to which they are shifting production? The KWTX story didn't really address that.
Chipoople
Sad indeed. My grandfather worked there from HS to retirement, I believe.
cowboycwr
Sad they couldn't upgrade the facility.

As to the land I fear it will sit empty for a long time. To me it doesn't seem like prime real estate being so far back off highway 6.
trey3216
cowboycwr said:

Sad they couldn't upgrade the facility.

As to the land I fear it will sit empty for a long time. To me it doesn't seem like prime real estate being so far back off highway 6.
It's actually pretty prime since the rail line runs right by it, and the feeder road is being improved to where access will be much cleaner.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BCL79
Yep, my Mom retired from there about 10 years ago. OI was good to me as well. I worked summers there beginning 1976 thru 1979. I made great money for the coming semesters at BU. A little bit sad.
BullBear_bf
Having worked there during the summers to pay for my Baylor education, working around the bottles, load pullers did not wear ear plugs. It was a good place to realize you did not want to go to the underworld in the afterlife.
BCL79
BullBear_bf said:

Having worked there during the summers to pay for my Baylor education, working around the bottles, load pullers did not wear ear plugs. It was a good place to realize you did not want to go to the underworld in the afterlife.
I spent two summers in "Resort" working rotating shifts and then landed a plum assignment the last two summers in the batch house working straight days M-F. Walking up to the cafeteria thru the "hot end" was always a little exciting ... especially when an alarm would go off.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.