What was this dome where the old pool/Alison Indoor was/is?

1,789 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by SteamedHams
Grimm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking at old aerial photos, there is a dome structure where the pool was when I was in school that later became the indoor football practice field. Anyone remember what it was?
[url=https://postimg.cc/H8tTgnGM][/url]

BaylorHistory
Grimm said:

Looking at old aerial photos, there is a dome structure where the pool was when I was in school that later became the indoor football practice field. Anyone remember what it was?
[url=https://postimg.cc/H8tTgnGM][/url]

What year is that from? Was it a marina perhaps before it moved down to that inlet at the bottom of the picture?
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
SteamedHams
This looks like mid-90s, I know the Marina Pool fell into disrepair over the years over there, it was supposed to be revived with the Baylor 2012 plan but I don't think that came to fruition as the SLC pool got more heavy use. I don't really remember what was there between the old pool and the Allison indoor, once you got past the actual marina, that area didn't see much use.
MrGolfguy
Wasn't that an indoor swimming pool?
Grimm
That was 1995 from Google Earth. 2003 the pool had a normal arched cover. Maybe it was just a different roof for the same pool?
whitetrash
It was originally an outdoor pool built in the 1970s when the marina was first dug out and the Streich tennis courts built along U-P. At some point they put a bubble dome over it (kinda like a mini-version of UT's indoor practice facility you see from I-35) to make it usable year-round, but quickly fell into disrepair. I don't really recall the more permanent roof but all that disappeared when they built Simpson in the late 2000s.

All that area between the marina, tennis courts and pool was a big open field in the 80s, except for a parking lot in front of the pool. They held Diadeloso there in 1983 and 1984 I know.
Robert Wilson
I swam in that thing as a kid when it was an outdoor pool.
UBBY
Grimm said:

That was 1995 from Google Earth. 2003 the pool had a normal arched cover. Maybe it was just a different roof for the same pool?

Yeah I did lifeguard training there in May 2007 and worked for 5 summers straight at the old version of HawaiianFalls which was just called the Waco Water Park. I think this building torn down before the end of 2008.
southtexasbear
MrGolfguy said:

Wasn't that an indoor swimming pool?
yes I remember it was the original indoor pool.
Yogi
The dome was only on in the colder months. It came off.
southtexasbear
Yogi said:

The dome was only on in the colder months. It came off.
that's right!! Forgot about that
blueeyedbear
I was in that pool with Dr Battles and Dr Gilchrest one day when this big windstorm blew in and the cables broke lose - It was scary bad with cables whipping around and this popping and cracking noise all around us as more cables failed and broke like a domino effect. We could only go to safety in one direction - DOWN - I have always been thankful for Dr Gilchrest in his scuba class requiring his students to test regularly to increase how long we could hold our breath. Fighting to stay down at the bottom while watching the cables whip the surface of the water - it was probably not much more than a minute but it seemed like FOREVER.
They never put that canopy over the pool again after that.
SteamedHams
blueeyedbear said:

I was in that pool with Dr Battles and Dr Gilchrest one day when this big windstorm blew in and the cables broke lose - It was scary bad with cables whipping around and this popping and cracking noise all around us as more cables failed and broke like a domino effect. We could only go to safety in one direction - DOWN - I have always been thankful for Dr Gilchrest in his scuba class requiring his students to test regularly to increase how long we could hold our breath. Fighting to stay down at the bottom while watching the cables whip the surface of the water - it was probably not much more than a minute but it seemed like FOREVER.
They never put that canopy over the pool again after that.

While obviously terrifying and I'm sorry you had to deal with that…but that's a great story (and sheds more light on the OP's question to boot).

All the blue stars.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.