The Future of Baseball in Waco... The Waco Wackos

4,337 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grinnin bear
SmallMan1209
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some of you may have seen the WacoTrib article discussing the City of Waco's vision of redeveloping downtown Waco and all that is included in it - the relocation of the convention center, a new performing arts center, and a MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL STADIUM.

Now, IF Waco were to actually attract a minor league baseball team, what would be the best mascot for the team? I have two ideas.

The first, as the title of the topic states, the Waco Wackos (tada!!!!) This is a fun name, has some alliteration, and could bring a fun environment that a minor league baseball team would need. Moreover, I think the name would be brilliant if the team was like the Savannah Bananas. Ditch the actual MLB farming system and team up with the Savannah Bananas to create the second (that I know of) fun, entertaining, making-up-rules baseball environment that could attract spectators all around.

If that does not happen, and it is just a minor league baseball team, my second mascot would be the Waco Woollys. This mascot pays homage to the Waco Mammoth Site, and would be an interesting and intimidating mascot. Alliteration is used again too (I like using it.)

If you have any other ideas or comments about it all, speak freely in the replies. Bash my ideas if you want. Post some AI generated logos for the teams. Make some uniforms. Let's have fun with it! Maybe it will become reality!

- CS
baylrballa
Catfish
Old300Bear
Amarillo is the Sod Poodles which is a Prairie Dog. They built a new downtown stadium for them and I think it has done ok.
UrsinusInfction
I saw that article and my first thought was about attendance. Seeing how bad Baylor's baseball draw is, they would have to have a ton of either success or "zany" minor league promotions to get a crowd. Can't imagine folks sitting out in the heat of summer either.
MrGolfguy
I'm still waiting for the Waco BlueCats to materialize

kxxv.com/hometown/mclennan-county/waco-bluecat-manager-says-the-team-still-has-a-heartbeat-despite-funding-issues
G$8
I agree that with how little interest Baylor Baseball gets (and even MCC baseball considering it was one of the top programs in Texas), I don't see it working. That land can be used in much more beneficial ways for the community. When I lived downtown and would run along the river I always wondered what would happen there. I've always thought keeping that stretch open from 4th Street to the River open and filling with trees and trails with an open area in the middle for concerts and small events would be great use. A baseball field that will end up being vacant most of the time is not what Waco needs right now. Maybe in 25 years, but not now.
Redbrickbear
SmallMan1209 said:

Some of you may have seen the WacoTrib article discussing the City of Waco's vision of redeveloping downtown Waco and all that is included in it - the relocation of the convention center, a new performing arts center, and a MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL STADIUM.

my second mascot would be the Waco Woollys. This mascot pays homage to the Waco Mammoth Site, and would be an interesting and intimidating mascot. Alliteration is used again too (I like using it.)

- CS

I don't know if a minor league baseball would work in Waco...but Waco Woollys would be a good and unique name that plays into something that is actually apart of Waco history.

I like it.

At the rate that Waco (and Central Texas in general) is growing you would think a minor league baseball team would work.
Edmond Bear
G$8 said:

I agree that with how little interest Baylor Baseball gets (and even MCC baseball considering it was one of the top programs in Texas), I don't see it working. That land can be used in much more beneficial ways for the community. When I lived downtown and would run along the river I always wondered what would happen there. I've always thought keeping that stretch open from 4th Street to the River open and filling with trees and trails with an open area in the middle for concerts and small events would be great use. A baseball field that will end up being vacant most of the time is not what Waco needs right now. Maybe in 25 years, but not now.

Love the idea of green space but you have Cameron and there are two concert areas (Indian Springs and Bridge Street) nearby.

Gotta think that an attraction that brings a few thousand people downtown several times a week would be good for restaurants, bars and retail in that area.

I wonder if minor league soccer would be a great alternative given the population of Waco and it doesn't compete with a Baylor sport. The US has multiple leagues that are associated with CONCACAF. The National Independent Soccer Association is Div III (MLS > USL Championship > NISA and others) and has teams in Chattanooga, Daytona Beach, Rochester, Savannah, etc. Waco would be one of the smaller MSA's but within reach of the others.

Also, love the Woolly's idea.
BaylorHistory
I'd rather hear more about the progression of the performing arts center. The article briefly mentioned it but I haven't anything on it publicly in a couple of years.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
BaylorHistory
Bing AI isn't great with spelling but some of the uniforms are fun

BaylorHistory
In honor of the late Waco Wizards hockey team. I'd buy a replica of these!

BaylorHistory
Waco Dr Pepper Kings

BaylorHistory
Due to the proposed stadium's location next to the park, Waco Trails.

Or in a local baseball tie-in, The Waco Park Rangers

Or in synergy with the Zoo opening up a penguin exhibit in the next year....

BaylorHistory
These work well, imo

SmallMan1209
BaylorHistory said:

The double 'W' on the hat is probably my favorite so far. Also like the color scheme of this one.
BaylorHistory
I'd rather us get a minor league hockey team than baseball if I got to pick

....and I'm out of Bing points or whatever
SmallMan1209
BaylorHistory said:

I'd rather hear more about the progression of the performing arts center. The article briefly mentioned it but I haven't anything on it publicly in a couple of years.
Here's a link to an article about the performing arts center from the Trib on 10/18. Opening it on an incognito browser should let you see it.

In short, it is between Mary Avenue and Franklin along University Parks Dr. Auditorium is supposed to hold 2,000. Will have a broadcast room, a black box for smaller events, a restaurant. If it becomes what its supposed to be it will be pretty neat. I wish I would be a little bigger that 2k though.
BaylorHistory
SmallMan1209 said:

BaylorHistory said:

Here's a link to an article about the performing arts center from the Trib on 10/18. Opening it on an incognito browser should let you see it.

In short, it is between Mary Avenue and Franklin along University Parks Dr. Auditorium is supposed to hold 2,000. Will have a broadcast room, a black box for smaller events, a restaurant. If it becomes what its supposed to be it will be pretty neat. I wish I would be a little bigger that 2k though.
Man that's a beautiful looking facility. I had completely missed this article so thanks for bringing it to my attention.
STxBear81
the Silos at Briles park
Robert Wilson
The Waco Wild

Minnesota can suck it
BaylorHistory
Robert Wilson said:

The Waco Wild

Minnesota can suck it

BaylorHistory
STxBear81 said:

the Silos at Briles park

Waco Chips (maybe we can be broadcast on the Magnolia Channel)

hill02
Waco Woolies is a great name! I don't ever see us getting a team though. We are way too close to Dallas and Round Rock. It would have to be a vanity project for someone and you are likely never getting an affiliate.
Grinnin bear
SmallMan1209 said:

BaylorHistory said:

Wow. I'd missed this one as well. This would be an extraordinary development for all of Central Texas and certainly for Downtown Waco and the Brazos Riverfront Development.

Between the Foster Pavilion and this, that would be a grand slam usage of that riverfront space!
BUMBA1
Lots of potential here with the number of tourists that come to Waco. If they can duplicate a Savannah Bananas type of baseball program…it could really take off.
SteamedHams
I've always secretly hoped that if we got a minor league team, they resurrected the Waco Navigators.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_Navigators?wprov=sfti1
BerenstainBear
SmallMan1209 said:

BaylorHistory said:

Waco getting a version of Lubbock's Buddy Holly Hall >>> getting a minor league stadium that will be vacant in a decade when we already have Baylor Ballpark
Redbrickbear
SmallMan1209 said:

BaylorHistory said:

I know most City leaders and Architects don't know this...but not every preforming arts center has to be God awful ugly and look like it was approved by a progressive Austin city council that was high on pot.
SmallMan1209
BUMBA1 said:

Lots of potential here with the number of tourists that come to Waco. If they can duplicate a Savannah Bananas type of baseball program…it could really take off.
If you compare the population between Waco, TX and Savannah, GA, it is pretty similar.
Waco - 139,594 (in 2021)
Savannah - 147,088 (in 2021)

If you want to compare the population in the respective counties for each city:
McLennan County - 263,115 (2021)
Chatham County - 296,329 (2021)

So if you want to do a baseball team like the Savannah Bananas, you could make it work theoretically. You'd need to advertise it and hype it up to draw a great initial fanbase.
Robert Wilson
Generally agree. And Baylor baseball is not a fair proxy for that.

I'm sure Baylor doesn't want Waco to have a minor league team, but I don't think the two fanbases would overlap too much.

E.g. Waco is full of baseball fans who go to lots of Rangers games but never set foot in Baylor ballpark.
BUMBA1
Robert Wilson said:

Generally agree. And Baylor baseball is not a fair proxy for that.

I'm sure Baylor doesn't want Waco to have a minor league team, but I don't think the two fanbases would overlap too much.

E.g. Waco is full of baseball fans who go to lots of Rangers games but never set foot in Baylor ballpark.

This is the way. Waco would be perfect for an entertaining, fan-centric minor league team. This needs to happen.
hodedofome
Being that Chip is a huge baseball fan, I think you're crazy not to tie all that in. Chip needs to be an 'owner,' if in name only. His face and name need to be all over the franchise. There's just too much marketing potential there to ignore it and start something else from scratch.
Edmond Bear
SmallMan1209 said:

BUMBA1 said:

If you compare the population between Waco, TX and Savannah, GA, it is pretty similar.
Waco - 139,594 (in 2021)

So if you want to do a baseball team like the Savannah Bananas, you could make it work theoretically. You'd need to advertise it and hype it up to draw a great initial fanbase.

The interesting thing about a Savannah Bananas type team is that they played in a league (Coastal Plains amateur) and were great for that league. Bananaball rules were only used for exhibition games they played.

The downside is that the Bananas make a lot more money with barnstorming tours. They have left the Coastal Plains League this year and 2/3 of their games are played in other states.

You would also have to find a second team like the Party Animals to play your foil.

BaylorHistory
Edmond Bear said:

SmallMan1209 said:

BUMBA1 said:

Waco - 139,594 (in 2021)

You would also have to find a second team like the Party Animals to play your foil.

I believe that Baylor baseball is already using the Washington Generals playbook.
BUbearinARK
Grackles ?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.