Cost of Living in Texas and Waco

1,552 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by trey3216
Stacy V. Cole
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cities in Texas

Cheapest to most expensive Cost of Living:

Waco is right in the middle.

Cost of living in 24 Texas cities, ranked cheapest to most expensive (msn.com)
BaylorHistory
I don't like their methodology that much. Let's just look at the highest priced thing on the list which is housing.

They put housing costs based on new construction which puts Waco at $402,250 which is not the average house price in McLennan County much less Waco proper. According to Zillow, McLennan County's average value is $256,639 compared to Waco proper's $214,027.

The spot that jumped off the list to me was Denton being ranked higher than Austin. Denton is growing, but it isn't Austin level on prices yet.

Austin (avg home cost): $533,214
Denton (avg home cost): $355,296

There's no way with the biggest budget item having that big of a difference that it's more expensive to live in Denton than Austin.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Big12Bear
Even with their home prices coming down a bit off their highs, Austin should still be #1 on the list.
Stacy V. Cole
Big12Bear said:

Even with their home prices coming down a bit off their highs, Austin should still be #1 on the list.
One more perspective, Big12:

'Had some new patients, a young born and raised in California couple that "always wanted to move to Texas."

They initially went to Austin, checked the housing market and the atmosphere and said, "This is too much like California."

They moved to Fort Worth.
Big12Bear
Smart move on their part.

Ft Worth is my favorite big city in Texas, despite those froggies.
Redbrickbear
Stacy V. Cole said:

Big12Bear said:

One more perspective, Big12:

'Had some new patients, a young born and raised in California couple that "always wanted to move to Texas."

They initially went to Austin, checked the housing market and the atmosphere and said, "This is too much like California."

They moved to Fort Worth.

A buddy of mine is in East Texas and sells ranchland (rural property)....he just had a couple in their late 60s buy from him

They moved to Austin during Covid from S. California and after a little while living there they were like "this is just like California...we need to get out of here" ....so they decided to move to Tyler area.
trey3216
BaylorHistory said:

I don't like their methodology that much. Let's just look at the highest priced thing on the list which is housing.

They put housing costs based on new construction which puts Waco at $402,250 which is not the average house price in McLennan County much less Waco proper. According to Zillow, McLennan County's average value is $256,639 compared to Waco proper's $214,027.

The spot that jumped off the list to me was Denton being ranked higher than Austin. Denton is growing, but it isn't Austin level on prices yet.

Austin (avg home cost): $533,214
Denton (avg home cost): $355,296

There's no way with the biggest budget item having that big of a difference that it's more expensive to live in Denton than Austin.

I imagine what they are basing the housing costs on new construction is more on the lines of an entry level home of say 1800 sq ft at the going rate of new construction cost which would be $223/ft at that total home price. That's pretty damn close to what the market shows right now. Maybe more along the lines of 1933 sq ft at $208/ft. Either one is not far off.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.