"You're Old Waco If.."

8,379 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Blackjack Bear
73s de N4WJP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CTbruin said:

BUDOS said:

You're almost old if you remember Pete's Diner just across from Brook's Hall, which became one of the earliest Scholtzsky's.

This is cool stuff. We are having a 55 year high school reunion this spring in Waco and this stuff will make great conversation!!

Pretty sure it was "Pete's College Inn". I bought meal tickets there.
I was Pete's College Inn from 70-74, at least.

It wasn't a Schlotzky's but a Schmaltz's. I had just started baking for them a couple of months after that location opened. That got us to two stores (including Town West), with the third store downtown (still open and doing great business), and a short lived fourth location in Hewitt. It closed around 1985, if what's left of my addled brain can be counted on to recall.
BUDOS
Ouch!
You are right on both counts! Thanks for the correction!
Now I'm depressed, as perhaps I am old, if my memory is starting to hiccup.

My daughter used to play with Pete's son at the diner and Baylor nursery school.
Hmmm, how about you are old if you have pictures of your daughter swimming with the bear cubs Daisy Mae and Li'l Abner in the old bear pit.
Bexar Pitts
BUDOS said:

Ouch!
You are right on both counts! Thanks for the correction!
Now I'm depressed, as perhaps I am old, if my memory is starting to hiccup.

My daughter used to play with Pete's son at the diner and Baylor nursery school.
Hmmm, how about you are old if you have pictures of your daughter swimming with the bear cubs Daisy Mae and Li'l Abner in the old bear pit.
You're not off by that much, BUDOS..There was an early Schlotsky's fairly close by..on 8th just off I-35..It was in a small strip building I believe, with maybe a cleaners and gift shop ( or something similar) on either side..A couple of my old frat bros lived in a small wood frame house between Schlotskys and I-35..another frat bro actually either owned or franchised the sandwich shop..
STxBear81
I liked Viteks when it was a meat market and sandwiches for lunch
BUDOS
Thanks!
And that makes me wonder if you're old if you remember when Baylor finally transitioned from local frats only to allowing national fraternities.

Or you're old if you remember when Brooks Hall was renovated only to become the athletic hall just after Russell Hall opened.
STxBear81
i remember when Brooks was remodeled, Pat Neff hall was used for Class registration on 2nd floor, when the creek behind Brooks/Minglewood wasnt remodeled.
Bexar Pitts
BUDOS said:

Thanks!
And that makes me wonder if you're old if you remember when Baylor finally transitioned from local frats only to allowing national fraternities.

Or you're old if you remember when Brooks Hall was renovated only to become the athletic hall just after Russell Hall opened.
For my era, our "frat" was chartered in 1946 as a men's "social club." That's what it remained during my years, but later become affiliated with Beta Theta Pi...I believe that occurred around 1977..Jocks stayed in Martin Hall on 5th back then..so I guess I'm before "old"..probably "ancient."
BUDOS
I agree. At the time I was the director of Brooks, literally just across the street.
My first year as director I remember having to get up one night to "control" one of the last "panty raids."

Not long after the Noze Brothers began to tone it down, which was a bit disappointing to me, although I was an administrator/enforcer.
cowboycwr
ABC123 said:

TenBears said:

Or if you remember the god awful old zoo. Even at five years old I could tell how f@@@@ up that was. Flat out disturbing.
The one near the airport? I never went but what was wrong with it?
It was before my time but I have heard multiple talk about it and basically it was just typical early 1900 type zoo fo animals in cages. No actual habitats made to look like their environment, nothing like you see know with toys/activity for the animals. Just basically a cage for the lion to live in with a fence around it to keep it away from people type stuff.
TenBears
cowboycwr said:

ABC123 said:

TenBears said:

Or if you remember the god awful old zoo. Even at five years old I could tell how f@@@@ up that was. Flat out disturbing.
The one near the airport? I never went but what was wrong with it?
It was before my time but I have heard multiple talk about it and basically it was just typical early 1900 type zoo fo animals in cages. No actual habitats made to look like their environment, nothing like you see know with toys/activity for the animals. Just basically a cage for the lion to live in with a fence around it to keep it away from people type stuff.

Yes sir. That's it. A tiger or lion or whatever living in a 10 by 10 concrete cell with chain link fence and a bowl of water.
WacoKelly83
Way back in the 70's we had a teen court in Waco for teenagers gone stupid. Most of the time the court, which was made up of other teen offenders, would sentence offenders to 8 hrs of community service. One of the options was working at the Waco zoo. Of course we all chose that option because it was, at least interesting. I did it once and never again.
BU4Life
WacoKelly83 said:

Way back in the 70's we had a teen court in Waco for teenagers gone stupid. Most of the time the court, which was made up of other teen offenders, would sentence offenders to 8 hrs of community service. One of the options was working at the Waco zoo. Of course we all chose that option because it was, at least interesting. I did it once and never again.

Oh my, do I remember Teen Court. After a Traffic Ticket, we could choose Teen Court to dismiss the ticket. . The Judge was the Honorable Rolin Khoury and his favorite sentence was to give you Community Service at the Zoo. Worst 8-hours of my teenage years. But nothing like a Buck Massey's Smokehouse #3 Chili, Cheese and Onion Burger to pick my spirits up. Buck later moved in with Dan Henderson on Wooded Acres across from the Lake Air Mall where we had Uncle Dans on one side of the Building and Smokehouse on the other. I grew up on the Lake Streets so enjoyed many a meal there.
Bexar Pitts
BU4Life said:

WacoKelly83 said:

Oh my, do I remember Teen Court. After a Traffic Ticket, we could choose Teen Court to dismiss the ticket. . The Judge was the Honorable Rolin Khoury and his favorite sentence was to give you Community Service at the Zoo. Worst 8-hours of my teenage years. But nothing like a Buck Massey's Smokehouse #3 Chili, Cheese and Onion Burger to pick my spirits up. Buck later moved in with Dan Henderson on Wooded Acres across from the Lake Air Mall where we had Uncle Dans on one side of the Building and Smokehouse on the other. I grew up on the Lake Streets so enjoyed many a meal there.
Did you ever make Buck's original Smokehouse on 25th?..tiny little building right on the street that had a takeout window where you stood almost on 25th..it WAS worth the risk!!! Back then, I seem to remember the DOUBLE chili, cheese, and onion as a Number 5...It was my "Go To" Smokehouse burger!
BU4Life
I do remember his 25th St location and that's where my Dad introduced me to Buck. What a guy! Yes, the #5 became my go to later in life but as a kid, the #3 was all I could handle. Thanks for the memories! My Dad and Buck were dear friends and he talks about him often.
BUDOS
Are you old enough to remember the old Brass Rail by the dam?
John Galt
Throwing a roll over the sign at Leslie's fried chicken.

Eating at the hickory stick.
Moondoggie
Hickory Stick pies were always ordered by my folks on holidays. Yum.

Peppers/Holts/career girl at lake air mall.

Visiting with those precious old holocaust survivors that owned O&H rare foods before you went to watch the motorcycle ride across the ceiling on a piece of string at Paul's Shoe Service.
Nguyen One Soon
Moondoggie said:

Visiting with those precious old holocaust survivors that owned O&H rare foods before you went to watch the motorcycle ride across the ceiling on a piece of string at Paul's Shoe Service.
You're talking Otto and Helga Levy. They had a great place. Was in there early one afternoon and an innocent Baylor coed asked Otto if he baked the various breads they used in the deli and sold as whole loaves. (They were actually trucked in from Dallas.). He replied, "Lady, I work here 12, 14 hours a day. When a hell I have time to bake bread?" She left without asking any more questions.
Bexar Pitts
Nguyen One Soon said:

Moondoggie said:

You're talking Otto and Helga Levy. They had a great place. Was in there early one afternoon and an innocent Baylor coed asked Otto if he baked the various breads they used in the deli and sold as whole loaves. (They were actually trucked in from Dallas.). He replied, "Lady, I work here 12, 14 hours a day. When a hell I have time to bake bread?" She left without asking any more questions.
Great story about Otto! I have many great memories of going into the store with my Dad while he got the best Pastrami I've ever had...always freshly sliced..The store remimnded me of being in a toy store..bright colors with "stuff" hanging everywhere!..Many fine imported candies, one of my favorite things was getting a can of Graber olives...never had a tastier olive..hand picked with a unique flavor..That little area around 25th and Washington was awesome! O&H, Spudnuts across the Street, and Blue Plate Lunches from Otis Stahl's counter on the corner! Dave Campbell's Texas Football offices across Washington from Otis Stahl...what an eclectic grouping! Thanks for bringing back some great memories!
forza orsi
Bexar Pitts said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

Moondoggie said:

Great story about Otto! I have many great memories of going into the store with my Dad while he got the best Pastrami I've ever had...always freshly sliced..The store remimnded me of being in a toy store..bright colors with "stuff" hanging everywhere!..Many fine imported candies, one of my favorite things was getting a can of Graber olives...never had a tastier olive..hand picked with a unique flavor..That little area around 25th and Washington was awesome! O&H, Spudnuts across the Street, and Blue Plate Lunches from Otis Stahl's counter on the corner! Dave Campbell's Texas Football offices across Washington from Otis Stahl...what an eclectic grouping! Thanks for bringing back some great memories!

It was a great area! Back in the 70s I lived just down the street on Washington. Loved the neighborhood.
BUDOS
How old are you if you remember Chatham's just across from Westview Village behind the service station? You could buy a chicken, fish or hamburger basket for 55 cents!!!

Blackjack Bear
Or driving across old lake Waco dam … or driving across the suspension bridge… northern little league in Cameron park… how about Baylor baseball at Dutton street park …. Iras on 19th street for raw oysters and cold beer.
Greenboy232
This thread gives me an idea for a podcast about Old Waco. If I hosted and produced it would be cool to have different Waco old-timers on to talk about memories of Old Waco and "Old Baylor".
BUDOS
Wow! I am old enough to remember all those things, plus Ronnie Bull, Lawrence Elkins, Judge McCall, Waco Will, the old Safeway across from the Melrose, Dale ****ord doing the weather and Frank Fallon calling the games.
TenBears
Greenboy232 said:

This thread gives me an idea for a podcast about Old Waco. If I hosted and produced it would be cool to have different Waco old-timers on to talk about memories of Old Waco and "Old Baylor".

Would love it!
lrwells50
Greenboy232 said:

Curious if any of yall who are Old Waco recall any places that were hot-spots for vintage pinball? The era before video games took over arcades. I restore / collect / sell vintage pinball machines and was just curious.
I have a friend that collects pinball machines also. He has around 20.
Greenboy232
I'd love to meet him. I do the old electro-mechanicals from the 60s and 70s.
lrwells50
Maybe, he's a TCU grad…
lrwells50
Greenboy232 said:

I'd love to meet him. I do the old electro-mechanicals from the 60s and 70s.
Sent you a private message with his email address.
BUDOS
Anyone who attended the Saturday morning matinee at the 25th street theater remembers the lyrics to the song that kids could volunteer to get on stage and sing? Had something to do with Vandervoort's Dairy.
osogreen
Leslie's Fried Chicken (both locations)

The Syrian Club

The Black Angus (AKA The Black Fungus)
HunterBear
Swimming in the Cameron Park fountains.

High school football at Muny Stadium.

The original Tex-Mex fast food place-- Taco Torch.

Having a class in the original Old Main.

Getting a haircut at the Southgate barber shop. Had a straight razor used on me there.

Stopping at the old Lautherback's grocery just off Memorial.

Going to the Boy's and Girl's club building next to Lautherback's.

Shopping at Gibson's and Clark's.

19-cent hamburgers at Golden Point.

Swimming lessons at Lake Air pool.

Swimming at Sun pool.

Super Spud on Valley Mills across from Baylor Stadium.

Playing football in Baylor Stadium on Sunday afternoons after home games. The gate would be open for the cleaning crew.

BUDOS
Ouch! I think you got me beat for sure on some of those. Me and mom moved around Waco a lot, especially in the 50s and early 60s so I remember most of yours, but not all. A place I don't think has been mentioned was an old book & comic store on about 22nd and Clay. You could also trade books and comics instead of buying them.
Bexar Pitts
BUDOS said:

Ouch! I think you got me beat for sure on some of those. Me and mom moved around Waco a lot, especially in the 50s and early 60s so I remember most of yours, but not all. A place I don't think has been mentioned was an old book & comic store on about 22nd and Clay. You could also trade books and comics instead of buying them.
I visited that store all the time as a kiddo..Think it was called the "Swap Shop"...2 for 1 used comics..I collected a lot of Marvel's fledgling comics then..sold them years later..Now wish like hell I would have kept them!
BUDOS
Wow! I really wasn't sure anyone else on this forum would have a clue! Yeah, mom and I had rented a room only about two blocks away from it. Spent a lot of time there. Dang right about wishing we had kept at least some of them! Same for those baseball cards (mostly Yanks) that I clipped to my very used, old bike.
Bells Hill Elementary was one of the 5 elementary schools, 3 junior high and 2 high schools I attended in Waco.
Remember when the old Public Library shut down and the new one opened?
Across from the new one was the drugstore where you got a free Sundae when you got your school supplies there.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.