Eating and Drinking with the Foster

9,019 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by trey3216
Biscuits_and_Gravy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RightRevBear said:

My wife and I tried Huaco Lounge tonight. It was a date night, not a pre-game, so please forgive me in advance.

Overall, we were underwhelmed by a place we had heard several good things about. Starting off with drinks I had a frozen house Margarita, because they were out of grapefruit soda for a Paloma. I think I dodged a bullet because making them with grapefruit soda is a cheap way to do it. The margarita was good. I thought the portion was small, but I didn't feel cheated either. My wife had the Mexican Martini. It was very salty, and I say this as a person that doesn't mind salty drinks. The more she consumed the worse it got. She stopped half way through. I took a drink of it and it was way too salty.

We had shrimp cocktail, the Huaco trio dip appetizer, and shared an order of street tacos. The shrimp cocktail tasted like ketchup and orange juice with little else. The Huaco trio was good, even though the chips they gave us looked like it was the bottom of the bag. They were mostly small and broken. The street tacos were all bland. I mean very bland. We had chicken, carne asada, and Barbacoa tacos. All three were bland. The rice and beans were good though.

The one highlight is that our server was great. I hope this was just an off night for them, but we were both disappointed.

Well that's disappointing.
baylorguy09
Calrocks94 said:

Well, the parking garage right next to the arena is going to have a ton of retail space on the bottom floor and I heard an insider last night that a major restaurant is coming to there which will be sick where you can eat before going to a game and there's more restaurants coming that way they're gonna be built right on the river
Any hints on what the place is that is moving in there?

I am excited about the two restaurant pads that are still to be finished over the water behind Foster as part of that Riverfront development. I would think those would bring some big name places with a huge opportunity.
Big12Bear
Has anyone heard an update on Terry Blacks? Last I read they were aiming for a Feb or March opening.
FlyinDubGreenGold
No commitments. Anyone talking about names is pure speculation at this point. City is naming its broker at its next council meeting.
FlyinDubGreenGold
Late March. Running about a month behind, but making great progress.
FlyinDubGreenGold
The Waterfront restaurants behind Foster are getting close to being nailed down and would be big names for Waco. Won't be open for 24 months but will be amazing.

There is also a restaurant building on University Parks within the Catalyst Urban development that should be announced in the Spring with a big name as well. Hopefully open this time next year.
Lund Vernquist
RightRevBear said:

My wife and I tried Huaco Lounge tonight. It was a date night, not a pre-game, so please forgive me in advance.

Overall, we were underwhelmed by a place we had heard several good things about. Starting off with drinks I had a frozen house Margarita, because they were out of grapefruit soda for a Paloma. I think I dodged a bullet because making them with grapefruit soda is a cheap way to do it. The margarita was good. I thought the portion was small, but I didn't feel cheated either. My wife had the Mexican Martini. It was very salty, and I say this as a person that doesn't mind salty drinks. The more she consumed the worse it got. She stopped half way through. I took a drink of it and it was way too salty.

We had shrimp cocktail, the Huaco trio dip appetizer, and shared an order of street tacos. The shrimp cocktail tasted like ketchup and orange juice with little else. The Huaco trio was good, even though the chips they gave us looked like it was the bottom of the bag. They were mostly small and broken. The street tacos were all bland. I mean very bland. We had chicken, carne asada, and Barbacoa tacos. All three were bland. The rice and beans were good though.

The one highlight is that our server was great. I hope this was just an off night for them, but we were both disappointed.
We went to Huaco Lounge after the Northwestern State game and it was the exact opposite. Food and margs delivered in every respect but the service was as inattentive as anywhere we've experienced in town. We had enchiladas, fajitas and a side of elote in addition to chips and salsa.
Porteroso
RightRevBear said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Hit Bangkok Royal before MBB BYU game. Got there at 6:30 and there was already a BU crowd, about 10 tables full including a party of 10. I was concerned it would result in long wait but it was not bad at all. Got cucumber salad w/gyoza's and pad Thai. Was able to finish up and get to game while teams were still out for warmups.

Bangkok Royal is a classic. I love their food.

Absolutely, would be successful in any city.
baylrballa
We will be back to BLVD.
RightRevBear
Lund Vernquist said:

RightRevBear said:

We went to Huaco Lounge after the Northwestern State game and it was the exact opposite. Food and margs delivered in every respect but the service was as inattentive as anywhere we've experienced in town. We had enchiladas, fajitas and a side of elote in addition to chips and salsa.

I will probably try it again at lunch time with some co-workers. Every place has off nights.
Funky Town Bear
We grabbed dinner at Billy Bob's Burgers last night before the game. Super friendly folks and the service was great. My burger tasted great. This will definitely fit into the rotation for now.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Ended up going to Pignetttis last night. We had not been since they first opened and were pleasantly surprised as our last visit was not great. It was crowded, lots of gold, lots of green too, guess they missed the memo. Something to consider, they take reservations! I'm keeping this in mind for Saturday games expected to be highly attended in the future, Kansas comes to mind.
baylrballa
baylrballa said:

We will be back to BLVD.

To add, it wasn't very crowded and the Cincinnati team was loading up the bus to go to the game. One asst was making a frantic phone call looking for 2 players. #30 walked by a few minutes later through the lobby haha. Even funnier now.
sipembeers
Bourbon old fashions at Barnett's, then to the game!
Biscuits_and_Gravy
sipembeers said:

User name does not check.
southtexasbear
Hit Baylor Club Pregame. They're doing some remodeling in the dining/ballroom so they had tables on the East side facing Foster (NICE!!). Great drinks and dinner hit: iceberg salad with Sirloin Steak, Gnocchi, and BU salad w blackened chicken.
Stefano DiMera
Parked outside Heche En Waco. Had dinner and margaritas there.

Was gonna walk to Foster from there. Only .7 miles but I remembered the temp was gonna drop from 61 to 27 when game was over

So I moved my car to the street on Clay right across from Indigo Hotel next to those townhomes. Only a .2 mile walk.
boxster
Stefano DiMera said:

Parked outside Heche En Waco. Had dinner and margaritas there.

Was gonna walk to Foster from there. Only .7 miles but I remembered the temp was gonna drop from 61 to 27 when game was over

So I moved my car to the street on Clay right across from Indigo Hotel next to those townhomes. Only a .2 mile walk.
We also ate at Heche En Waco. Delish.

We all walked to game. Then after the game, I bolted out of Foster and made the walk back to the car, and drove to the front of Indigo to pick up the fam. So cool to walk through downtown Waco before and after the game.
Yogi
The Brazos Landing actually has plams on running a ferry between Foster and the restaurant once the Riverwalk is completed.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
BaylorHistory
It was COLD when the game let out, but I found myself wishing that the Baylor Ballpark was located over there. It would be great to enjoy some restaurants before walking over to a game in the spring.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Stranger
Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

sipembeers said:

User name does not check.

well, that certainly causes alarm for a very few
I'm a Bearbacker
trey3216
Not to surprise anyone, but both Fuzzy's are closed for good. Hopefully someone scoops up that space rather quickly.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Edmond Bear
trey3216 said:

Not to surprise anyone, but both Fuzzy's are closed for good. Hopefully someone scoops up that space rather quickly.

So, wait, the Fuzzy's on UP closed? That seems like an awesome location.

trey3216
Edmond Bear said:

trey3216 said:

Yep. They shut the doors on both locations yesterday.
baylrballa
Edmond Bear said:

trey3216 said:

could be a really fun spot if done right.
T-REX
Wow interesting. Any inside info on why?
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Edmond Bear
trey3216 said:

Edmond Bear said:

trey3216 said:

Yep. They shut the doors on both locations yesterday.

That's a bummer. It's not great food but it's cheap and easy which seems to work in most locations.

T-REX
trey3216 said:

sports bar and nothing else should go there
Baylor MBA 2023
SteamedHams
T-REX said:

Probably the camera angle at Foster.
trey3216
T-REX said:

Because they were run terribly
Edmond Bear
trey3216 said:

T-REX said:

Ate there recently. Food was okay but the experience of getting food and a drink at the bar was pretty bad. The place was really dark and just seemed kind of sad.

whitetrash
trey3216 said:

T-REX said:

Fuzzy's just always seemed a step below Torchys, Velvet, and Fuego. Food was unremarkable, and servings were generally small. Chips tasted closer to Santitas than decent restaurant chips. Never had a drink there; it just seemed more of a watering hole with mediocre bar food.
T-REX
Edmond Bear said:

trey3216 said:

T-REX said:

Ate there recently. Food was okay but the experience of getting food and a drink at the bar was pretty bad. The place was really dark and just seemed kind of sad.

sucks to hear. Only went there a couple times a few years ago but I have always enjoyed fuzzys anywhere I've had it. Prime location for sure.
Baylor MBA 2023
southtexasbear
Spoke with Corey, owner of Milo's, last night. He said his restaurant has been full of Green and Gold on game nights. He's actively watching the schedule, staff scheduling, and food prep timing to make sure people get their food in time to make it to the game. Milo's will definitely be on my pre-game rotation!
T-REX
southtexasbear said:

Spoke with Corey, owner of Milo's, last night. He said his restaurant has been full of Green and Gold on game nights. He's actively watching the schedule, staff scheduling, and food prep timing to make sure people get their food in time to make it to the game. Milo's will definitely be on my pre-game rotation!
amazing how that works!
Baylor MBA 2023
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.