You know you went to Baylor pre-Magnolia if...

11,438 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by nortbear91
SteamedHams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fat Daddy said:

SteamedHams said:

Bexar Pitts said:

There was only one George's..and there was no step up to a not yet existing back dining room...A pinball machine and potted plant was against that wall..Lucille was main waitress/server..Wallace was bartender..and you could quickly flip over the small bowl of gravy with your chicken fried..and nothing would spill out!

Sherry was a waitress at the only joint in town. She had a reputation as a girl who'd been around
Down Main Street after midnight with a brand new pack of cigs. A fresh one hangin' from her lips and a beer between her legs.

Dang, Steamed, you might should put some music with that..: could be a hit! REKon so!

I wrote it about a different Sherrie, I swear!
Bexar Pitts
SteamedHams said:

Bexar Pitts said:

There was only one George's..and there was no step up to a not yet existing back dining room...A pinball machine and potted plant was against that wall..Lucille was main waitress/server..Wallace was bartender..and you could quickly flip over the small bowl of gravy with your chicken fried..and nothing would spill out!

Sherry was a waitress at the only joint in town. She had a reputation as a girl who'd been around
Down Main Street after midnight with a brand new pack of cigs. A fresh one hangin' from her lips and a beer between her legs.
could be the rummies version of "Twas the Night Before Christmas"
Edmond Bear
SteamedHams said:

Fat Daddy said:

SteamedHams said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Dang, Steamed, you might should put some music with that..: could be a hit! REKon so!

SteamedHams
Edmond Bear said:

SteamedHams said:

Fat Daddy said:

SteamedHams said:

Bexar Pitts said:

cowboycwr
You lived in Brooks where the top floor was closed off permanently, had phones in the room (4 digit number) but no internet and all the dorms had computer labs for students.

The library had computer labs (basement level) where you went to print all your papers. But you had to avoid those hideous Macs because they didn't have floppy drives, if they did have external drives your paper would not open on a mac because Microsoft/Apple didn't work together and when you put your floppy in you would get a message about reformatting the disc. If you did that your papers were gone and you could witness several meltdowns over people doing this.

Getting thrown in the rocket launcher fountain.

There were no residential villages or if there was it was just the North Village and you could walk to Chili's

The bear pit was sad, aka an actual pit.

The bears went to games/ homecoming parade.

Buying books was the only option (well you could check some out of the library) but there was no renting, online versions, etc.

and finally,

You knew chip from having classes with him and Joanna was that pretty girl on the firestone commercials.

Bexar Pitts
In the PRE, PRE Magnolia days.."When you put your floppy in" had a completely different meaning..and was usually quite unfortunate...
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
If your remember taking hand punched data cards to the basement and hoping your simple program assignment from Dr Dentons kinesiolgy class would work
BaylorHistory
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

If your remember taking hand punched data cards to the basement and hoping your simple program assignment from Dr Dentons kinesiolgy class would work
Way before my time, but I'm guessing they were numbered in some way in case you dropped them and they got out of order? Are we talking dozens of cards? hundreds of cards? or thousands of cards?
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
RightRevBear
I miss the Chili's to go. I ate there way too much for my limited budget.
nortbear91
I played football my first year and all the athletes lived in the quad. We thought we were living in high cotton.!
BUbearinARK
When you turned on the news your freshman year and Ted Koppel opened up the national newscast with "Tonight, in Waco".
4th and Inches
BUbearinARK said:

When you turned on the news your freshman year and Ted Koppel opened up the national newscast with "Tonight, in Waco".
you are old Waco if you remember watching Lloyd Immel or Ron Hall on local television.
whitetrash
4th and Inches said:

BUbearinARK said:

you are old Waco if you remember watching Lloyd Immel or Ron Hall on local television.
Not really. Old Waco is if you remember Chuck Williams, Bill Herring, or Johnny Watkins. Or Doug Brown or Chip Moody before they moved to the big city.
Bexar Pitts
How 'bout on KWTX: Marvel Russell., Uncle Elihu, or Harley Berg? On KCEN: Jim Ham, Zebo the Clown, Dub King?
beardoc
"You lived in Brooks where the top floor was closed off permanently," or if you lived in older Brooks, and the fifth floor was a long warren of a room with 8 guys, no elevators, cafeteria, fire escapes, or 24 hour electricity. (the wiring was from the 1920's, and not built for hi-fis, hair dryers, and certainly not illicit refrigerators). Your freshman year the TI SR-10 came out and had SIX functions including square root. It cost $110, roughly half the cost of your dorm room.
BUbearinARK
nortbear91
John Morris used to show up at football practice when he was young and skinny. Lol.
Fat Daddy
You remember the "jumping fish" sign at Chatham's - Waco Drive and Valley Mills
Edmond Bear
BUbearinARK said:

That dude is the reason students were moved from behind the opposing team's seats after he lied about students cursing at him when his whorns played at The Ferrell. It took 30+ years and a new fieldhouse to get students back near the court.

Eleven-League Grant
And, you might remember when 1010 on the AM radio dial was KKIK, played country music, and the DJ's did live remotes from the Pump Station at the Water Works.

That daytime signal powered strongly N-S out of the Hallsburg area and covered all points between Austin and DFW. At night, it either went completely off the air or (later) had a super-reduced power and footprint from a separate nighttime antenna site.

Today, of course, that station is signed KBBW, and airs Christian programming.

Trivia -- their nighttime-only antenna array, which consists of six antennas all in a line, can be seen on the right hand side of Highway 6 right after you pass the Highway 164 cutoff when driving between Waco and Riesel.
Bexar Pitts
Eleven-League Grant said:

And, you might remember when 1010 on the AM radio dial was KKIK, played country music, and the DJ's did live remotes from the Pump Station at the Water Works.

That daytime signal powered strongly N-S out of the Hallsburg area and covered all points between Austin and DFW. At night, it either went completely off the air or (later) had a super-reduced power and footprint from a separate nighttime antenna site.

Today, of course, that station is signed KBBW, and airs Christian programming.

Trivia -- their nighttime-only antenna array, which consists of six antennas all in a line, can be seen on the right hand side of Highway 6 right after you pass the Highway 164 cutoff when driving between Waco and Riesel.

In early 70's , station was KAWA...10,000 watts daytime...Country music that barber shops all over Central Texas had their radio dials on for their customers! Got many haircuts listenin' to old KAWA !
Eleven-League Grant
Quote:

In early 70's , station was KAWA...10,000 watts daytime...Country music that barber shops all over Central Texas had their radio dials on for their customers! Got many haircuts listenin' to old KAWA !
You certainly know your Waco radio. 1010 was KAWA from August of '61 to December of '75. It was then renamed KKIK in January of '76 and later added a 2,500 watt nightime signal around 1980.

Not to derail this topic, but here goes -- I miss those old barber shops. Nothing like reading magazines and comic books ten years out-of-date (not that it mattered to me), and hearing the stories those old-school barbers would tell. The late Dave Mayfield (Bellmead) told me once that he used to cut hair in his shop with Johnny Gimble, and that he himself cut Willie Nelson's hair when Willie 'was just a boy'. Perhaps that was the last haircut Willie ever had!
Bexar Pitts

Quote:

You certainly know your Waco radio. 1010 was KAWA from August of '61 to December of '75. It was then renamed KKIK in January of '76 and later added a 2,500 watt nightime signal around 1980.

Not to derail this topic, but here goes -- I miss those old barber shops. Nothing like reading magazines and comic books ten years out-of-date (not that it mattered to me), and hearing the stories those old-school barbers would tell. The late Dave Mayfield (Bellmead) told me once that he used to cut hair in his shop with Johnny Gimble, and that he himself cut Willie Nelson's hair when Willie 'was just a boy'. Perhaps that was the last haircut Willie ever had!
E-L, Radio was about all we had for entertainment back "in the day." particularly AM..Many times we would listen late night to WLS 890 out of Chicago for great Rock N' Roll...there also was a staion out of New Orleans, but I don't remember the call letters..WBAP 820 with Bill Mack All Night Open Road show was our Country source..The old "Midnight Cowboy" had truckers all over the US as listeners...FM and 8 track players really expanded the horizon! Yep, those barber shops of old were classic..Just like Floyd's on "Andy Griffith", it was always the place to get local information and "hush-hush" stories! I actually knew some excellent attorneys that would glean leads from hearing about those conversations..and lots of musicians supplemented their entertainment income by barbering...and had huge clientele to boot..ahh, those were great years indeed to be a lad just getting your feet under you..Edit: A great fiddler , Red Rogers, cut hair at Pirelo's in Beverly Hills back in 60's..His band played a lot all over Central Texas..
william
baylor film society.........

- KKM

D!
pro ecclesia, pro javelina
TenBears
Who were the two guys that had a radio show on KRZI back in the 70's? I remember that station being kind of fun and listened regularly until I found the Zoo in Dallas.
Bexar Pitts
TenBears said:

Who were the two guys that had a radio show on KRZI back in the 70's? I remember that station being kind of fun and listened regularly until I found the Zoo in Dallas.
Ten, I think the man who had perhaps the greatest influence on AM radio in the 60's and 70's in Waco was the late, and yes..great..Herb Harding..Herb passed last summer, but his influence on radio lives on..1580 AM was KBGO in the 60's..the "Big Go!" Herb had a widely listened to show with a partner..and for the life of me his name escapes me at the moment..The studios were behind the upstairs glass window facing Valley Mills Dr that is now occupied by Jack's Stereo...Listeners would always be stopping in parking lot , gazing upward while either responding to promotional gigs or simply saying hello..1580 later became KRZI...and at one time moved studios to a Bosque Blvd location close to Loop 340...then back again to same Valley Mills Dr location in early 80's..Herb was always the stations "main man".and I believe for a time was co owner....and in the early 80's had "Herb and Lou" AM show..Station never got away from it's top 40 format, but Herb never lost his love of "The Oldies", and even had a weekend show featuring the "golden oldies" from 50's and 60's..I'll shut up and see if someone whose memory is better than mine can remember his KBGO cohost for the radio show..I think it's great that now the KBGO call letters are used on FM in Waco..and station plays oldies!
blueskymesa
TenBears said:

The Zoo...KZEW 98.1 or was it 98.1..the Zoo...KZEW. I grew up in Marlin and was on very edge of it's signal. There's no telling how much I spent on radio signal boosters for my car. I usually could pick up a good signal driving to school, so I would actually leave early and drive around just to listen before class. I picked up a KZEW back window sticker when visiting my sister in Dallas. I thought I was coolest thing around. I can't tell you how many guys would ask "Hey, where did you get that sticker" when I was in Waco.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Jack's Stereo is still open. I spent a fair amount of money there in the late '70's when I was in HS.

Fat Daddy
Was a freshman at Baylor the fall of 1973 (spring of 1974). KRZI with the windows facing Valley Mills. Streaking was the "thing". The dare was to call in and tell them that one would be streaking by momentarily.

Not saying I did. Not saying I didn't!
TenBears
Bexar Pitts said:

TenBears said:

Ten, I think the man who had perhaps the greatest influence on AM radio in the 60's and 70's in Waco was the late, and yes..great..Herb Harding..Herb passed last summer, but his influence on radio lives on..1580 AM was KBGO in the 60's..the "Big Go!" Herb had a widely listened to show with a partner..and for the life of me his name escapes me at the moment..The studios were behind the upstairs glass window facing Valley Mills Dr that is now occupied by Jack's Stereo...Listeners would always be stopping in parking lot , gazing upward while either responding to promotional gigs or simply saying hello..1580 later became KRZI...and at one time moved studios to a Bosque Blvd location close to Loop 340...then back again to same Valley Mills Dr location in early 80's..Herb was always the stations "main man".and I believe for a time was co owner....and in the early 80's had "Herb and Lou" AM show..Station never got away from it's top 40 format, but Herb never lost his love of "The Oldies", and even had a weekend show featuring the "golden oldies" from 50's and 60's..I'll shut up and see if someone whose memory is better than mine can remember his KBGO cohost for the radio show..I think it's great that now the KBGO call letters are used on FM in Waco..and station plays oldies!

McGuire! I remembered once you mentioned Harding.
Bexar Pitts
TenBears said:

Bexar Pitts said:

TenBears said:

McGuire! I remembered once you mentioned Harding.
BINGO!!! I've been bangin my brain tryin to remember that name..I was tryin for a first name, but youz most certingly correct ! Harding and McGuire! They were wildy popular...had one of the best radio shows around..Thanks for helpin an old fart out! Edit: Something about that last line just doesn't sound quite right :-)
Snuf
Took my date to "Walkers" , Waco's version of Animal House. Great music and fun party house!
PartyBear
I recall a rock station called KIXS. It went to country western however. Not to derail just the radio station talk reminded meZ
TrueBear

Quote:

Oh man, what was the name of the barber shop off Valley Mills? Not far from the old Mr Gattis.

Primary memory is that everyone would fight not to get the barber at the end of the row, Weldon, I think. He gave the same haircut to everyone, no matter what you asked for….straight buzz cut.
HunterBear
Fat Daddy said:

You remember the "jumping fish" sign at Chatham's - Waco Drive and Valley Mills
I would go there some Friday nights in high school with a couple of buddies.
HunterBear
Bexar Pitts said:

Quote:

E-L, Radio was about all we had for entertainment back "in the day." particularly AM..Many times we would listen late night to WLS 890 out of Chicago for great Rock N' Roll...there also was a staion out of New Orleans, but I don't remember the call letters..WBAP 820 with Bill Mack All Night Open Road show was our Country source..The old "Midnight Cowboy" had truckers all over the US as listeners...FM and 8 track players really expanded the horizon! Yep, those barber shops of old were classic..Just like Floyd's on "Andy Griffith", it was always the place to get local information and "hush-hush" stories! I actually knew some excellent attorneys that would glean leads from hearing about those conversations..and lots of musicians supplemented their entertainment income by barbering...and had huge clientele to boot..ahh, those were great years indeed to be a lad just getting your feet under you..Edit: A great fiddler , Red Rogers, cut hair at Pirelo's in Beverly Hills back in 60's..His band played a lot all over Central Texas..
I would listen to Bill Mack on WBAP late night while doing homework and writing papers while in Baylor.

I've had my hair cut by the same guy for over 50 years. Those have been great visits over the years.

Nothing raises the hair on your neck (and loses it!) like a little kid getting worked over with a straight razor at the barber shopl.

I played Little League baseball on the Pirelo's Barber Shop team.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.