Midway HC

5,655 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by BaylorB254
bubear20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone heard any updates on the Midway coaching search?? Curious to see who they could pull, maybe Wetzel? Or Derek Alford?
MrGolfguy
Kevin Steele is available

a match made in heaven
NoLayUps21
Stepp said they interviewed last week… that could be the first interview or it could be a more finalized list of candidates. I would imagine something by the end of next week, possibly this week if there is a clear candidate.
bubear20
They have the longest coaching search in the state as of right now with the school I'm at coming in second
NoLayUps21
They'll draw some guys that were coaching in December so I can understand it…. But it has been a long one and you feel like they could have done some work over the break.
PartyBear
I thought they just named the former Briles QB here (Johnson) as OC back in December maybe? Am I wrong? Did the school district just do that without a HC? I assumed they had a new HC.
Robert Wilson
They've got to be seriously considering just dropping the interim title and rolling on with the guy who stepped in to finish the year. Pretty incredible turnaround.
sipembeers
PartyBear said:

I thought they just named the former Briles QB here (Johnson) as OC back in December maybe? Am I wrong? Did the school district just do that without a HC? I assumed they had a new HC.

It was Chad president and he left for temple, where he graduated high school.
Yogi
What happened to the guy who took over for Anderson? The kids seemed to really respond to him. He deserves a shot somewhere.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
sipembeers
Yogi said:

What happened to the guy who took over for Anderson? The kids seemed to really respond to him. He deserves a shot somewhere.

Wouldn't be surprised if he got the job actually.
NoLayUps21
According to Stepp, it looks like they are having final interviews this week with the new guy being named by the end of the week.

Side note, what is the ceiling for this job in 6A? Can you compete for a regional title?
Jackson Bear
NoLayUps21 said:

According to Stepp, it looks like they are having final interviews this week with the new guy being named by the end of the week.

Side note, what is the ceiling for this job in 6A? Can you compete for a regional title?
Under Gambill and the early days of Hulme they were competing for state titles, so yes Midway can be competitive for regional titles. From what I have heard, there are several good and big names that have applied for the position. News should be coming soon.
1outawayBear
Robert Wilson said:

They've got to be seriously considering just dropping the interim title and rolling on with the guy who stepped in to finish the year. Pretty incredible turnaround.

I can see that but Chads offense is going to be tough to replace.
4th and Inches
Robert Wilson said:

I heard they were not going to do that but you are right, they should be..
Jackson Bear
4th and Inches said:

Robert Wilson said:

If the information I have been given is right, you will not be disappointed in the top couple of candidates.
NoLayUps21
Jackson Bear said:

4th and Inches said:

Robert Wilson said:

If the information I have been given is right, you will not be disappointed in the top couple of candidates.

Backs up with what I heard too. I don't believe one can be much better.
bubear20
Were they not able to get the guy or is there another reason for the delay?
NoLayUps21
That I do not know. I was just told some names who interviewed (3 to be exact).
RightRevBear
NoLayUps21 said:

Jackson Bear said:

4th and Inches said:

Robert Wilson said:

If you two don't stop being so cryptic, there is going to be a rumor that Art Briles is going to be the next HC at Midway.
Robert Wilson
RightRevBear said:

NoLayUps21 said:

Jackson Bear said:

4th and Inches said:

Robert Wilson said:

If you two don't stop being so cryptic, there is going to be a rumor that Art Briles is going to be the next HC at Midway.
Waco High screwed up so badly by not hiring him...
NoLayUps21
Briles' name has never been mentioned to me.

I heard a coach that has won multiple championships was one of the finalists, but Saturday I heard he is in the target of a DFW opening. I don't know anything more than that.
FrankFallonCalling
I was also told a name (maybe the highest-profile TXHSFB name possible) and didn't believe it. No one I know at Midway has heard that, but I've heard that their hiring process is usually ADMR-level tight.
NoLayUps21
I heard that too but I heard he's coming to north DFW.

Without saying the name, I hear a former state champion is coming from the assistant ranks at the collegiate level.
bubear20
One of the guys I work with yesterday said he had a guy mention Joe Gillispie. From DFW, former state champ and was in college until recently.

Thought on Brad Shelton?
bubear20
One reason for the delay may be district realignment. Districts release February 1st and guys considering a head job will want to see who they have to play. There's talk that Midway may get shipped north again with Duncanville and Desoto which may discourage potential candidates
Bear_Fan254
BaylorB254
That sucks for Martinez. Apparently he was passed over a few times while at University High School as well.
SoonerFrogs
Division I to high school. Ouch.
NoLayUps21
Yes but he also won a CFP game as a coordinator. This isn't a failed-coach move like others: I guarantee you he had other options but chose to be at Midway. How long will he be there? Remains to be seen.
NoLayUps21
NoLayUps21 said:

Without saying the name, I hear a former state champion is coming from the assistant ranks at the collegiate level.

Dodge to Lovejoy was announced. Interesting career move for him.
FrankFallonCalling
NoLayUps21 said:

NoLayUps21 said:

He certainly has a type.
Jackson Bear
NoLayUps21 said:

NoLayUps21 said:

Dodge was the one I was referring to earlier. He evidently applied to Midway, but obviously Lovejoy is closer to Riley and his grandkids. Just shows you Midway has a good reputation.
Jackson Bear
bubear20 said:

One of the guys I work with yesterday said he had a guy mention Joe Gillispie. From DFW, former state champ and was in college until recently.

Thought on Brad Shelton?
Shelton is a great guy.
SoonerFrogs
Jackson Bear said:

NoLayUps21 said:

NoLayUps21 said:

Dodge was the one I was referring to earlier. He evidently applied to Midway, but obviously Lovejoy is closer to Riley and his grandkids. Just shows you Midway has a good reputation.
Not a winning reputation
1outawayBear
SoonerFrogs said:

Jackson Bear said:

NoLayUps21 said:

NoLayUps21 said:

Not a winning reputation

Okay, soonerfrogs
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.