Midway HC

5,656 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by BaylorB254
Jackson Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SoonerFrogs said:

Jackson Bear said:

NoLayUps21 said:

NoLayUps21 said:

I heard that too but I heard he's coming to north DFW.

Without saying the name, I hear a former state champion is coming from the assistant ranks at the collegiate level.

Dodge to Lovejoy was announced. Interesting career move for him.
Dodge was the one I was referring to earlier. He evidently applied to Midway, but obviously Lovejoy is closer to Riley and his grandkids. Just shows you Midway has a good reputation.
Not a winning reputation
They were winning until recently, and coaches apply to schools that have the resources, demographics, and commitment. Midway is considered one of the top jobs in the state because of what you can do here.
NoLayUps21
The knock on Midway in the coaching circle is that they haven't threatened a title it in 6A, and there are 15 programs within two hours that are ahead of them in potential for a state championship. If the standard set by the community is regional titles and up, that's not realistic to where they are and a coach is set up to fail.

I think it's a overall great place to be but the metroplex and Austin schools have more competition readily available both in season and in 7 on 7. 6A football is a different breed and it takes a terrific team to even make it to the third round.
PartyBear
Midway played for the 6a state championship in 17 and 5a (when that was the equivalent of 6a) 11 I think it was.
NoLayUps21
You are correct, my mistake. The point is, they haven't been the regional giant that they were in 5A. I think they can be, but it's much harder with the current state of DFW football, especially the South Dallas schools that they are closely associated with.
PartyBear
Was Dodge number one or was Gillespie picked over Dodge?
NoLayUps21
I have been told that others were offered the job before Gillespie.
PartyBear
Looks like he was 74-24 at Stephenville according to Max Preps. But honestly I dont know how you build a program at a high school. It seems like you are stuck with kids who live in your district. I'm not exactly sure how South Lake for example has had on avg only 1 or 2 losses per season since 2000 regardless of the HC. Riley Dodge who took the job there at age 30 has about the same record as his dad and whomever was in between the two Dodges. I'm not sure how you build a football machine at a high school at least within the rules.
BaylorHistory
PartyBear said:

Looks like he was 74-24 at Stephenville according to Max Preps. But honestly I dont know how you build a program at a high school. It seems like you are stuck with kids who live in your district.
In the past, I know that coaches were able to build a program by rehauling the way lifting/conditioning worked from 7th grade on up along with sticking to a particular offensive/defensive system. It took time, but implementing a workout program that was scientifically based back then could easily get you 2 or 3 extra wins over the course of a season and a consistent play calling system where the players are pretty much experts by their Sophomore year could get you another 2 or 3 wins if you were given time for it to work.

I assume that every team in the state lifts that way now though.
Funky Town Bear
PartyBear said:

Looks like he was 74-24 at Stephenville according to Max Preps. But honestly I dont know how you build a program at a high school. It seems like you are stuck with kids who live in your district. I'm not exactly sure how South Lake for example has had on avg only 1 or 2 losses per season since 2000 regardless of the HC. Riley Dodge who took the job there at age 30 has about the same record as his dad and whomever was in between the two Dodges. I'm not sure how you build a football machine at a high school at least within the rules.
I live in Grapevine/Colleyville/Southlake/HEB area. There are things that Southlake does systematically like have the mighty mite teams running the same basic schemes, coordinated 7 on 7 teams that run the same schemes, etc that are very specific to make sure that tweener kids have built in advantages. They also do a great job getting the kids that they want because they are "Southlake".

It's done a little differently in the South Dallas districts where apartments allow for kids to hop from one to the other based on recruiting efforts.

Midway's problem is that you aren't ever going to have the advantages mentioned above while having to compete directly against those advantages. Doesn't mean that they can't be great. It's just a very different dynamic than when Briles/Gillespie were at Stephenville.
Blueashtj
Not to mention a lot of the top athletes' families are opting for the surrounding districts (China Spring, Lorena, even Connally) for playing time opportunities and winning state championships.
ursamajor
What is amazing is how pronounced the turnaround was in season last year. The exact same kids went from practically winless to district champs almost literally overnight. This wasn't against Duncanville/Desoto/etc., but it was amazing what one coach could do through some scheming, but primarily through motivation. I know there were other staff changes at play after the season, but there definitely seemed to be something there.

Jimmys and Joes may beat Xs and Os, but the right rapport with the high schoolers that leads to maximizing potential can lead to a whole lot of wins at that level. Easier said than done.
cowboycwr
NoLayUps21 said:

NoLayUps21 said:

I heard that too but I heard he's coming to north DFW.

Without saying the name, I hear a former state champion is coming from the assistant ranks at the collegiate level.

Dodge to Lovejoy was announced. Interesting career move for him.
He had retired from Westlake, but I guess two years off was enough for him.
cowboycwr
Funky Town Bear said:

PartyBear said:

I live in Grapevine/Colleyville/Southlake/HEB area. There are things that Southlake does systematically like have the mighty mite teams running the same basic schemes, coordinated 7 on 7 teams that run the same schemes, etc that are very specific to make sure that tweener kids have built in advantages. They also do a great job getting the kids that they want because they are "Southlake".

It's done a little differently in the South Dallas districts where apartments allow for kids to hop from one to the other based on recruiting efforts.

Midway's problem is that you aren't ever going to have the advantages mentioned above while having to compete directly against those advantages. Doesn't mean that they can't be great. It's just a very different dynamic than when Briles/Gillespie were at Stephenville.
This along with the weight program is a major reason for continued success.

Areas like Southlake or Aledo have the kids running the same program from pee wee football and up. They play together for years.

Once in school they are doing the same workouts, running the same plays and scheme from 7th grade on.

Many families move to those areas in hopes their kid becomes a star. Both areas are also well off meaning the parents can pay for private workouts, coaches, etc. in the offseason.

And of course both are one high school districts. Midway is as well but they don't have as many people moving there for athletics like the Southlake, Westlake, or Aledo's because at those schools you can live there and still work in DFW/Austin and just make a longer drive but for Midway a person has to be able t work remote or get a job in the Waco area and there aren't as many of those for families that can afford to move in hopes their child will be a stud athlete in high school.
Jackson Bear
cowboycwr said:

Funky Town Bear said:

PartyBear said:

Areas like Southlake or Aledo have the kids running the same program from pee wee football and up. They play together for years.

Once in school they are doing the same workouts, running the same plays and scheme from 7th grade on.

Many families move to those areas in hopes their kid becomes a star. Both areas are also well off meaning the parents can pay for private workouts, coaches, etc. in the offseason.

And of course both are one high school districts. Midway is as well but they don't have as many people moving there for athletics like the Southlake, Westlake, or Aledo's because at those schools you can live there and still work in DFW/Austin and just make a longer drive but for Midway a person has to be able t work remote or get a job in the Waco area and there aren't as many of those for families that can afford to move in hopes their child will be a stud athlete in high school.
There are plenty of good athletes at Midway. Just not all play football or dropped it after Freshman year due to the coaching environment (were not having fun). The baseball team is full of them. Jackson Baird was an example of this until he actually decided to play this year and you can see the difference his athletic ability made. At Westlake/Lake Travis, all these guys would have played and it would have made a huge difference.
Harrison Bergeron
cowboycwr said:

Funky Town Bear said:

PartyBear said:

That was my POV as well. We play Southlake in a non-UIL sport, and there is always a single "Southlake Dragon" team - maybe JV and Varsity but same colors, same mascot, same kids. They know the likely HS starting QB when he's in fifth grade because they been raised in the system.
cowboycwr
Jackson Bear said:

cowboycwr said:

Funky Town Bear said:

PartyBear said:

There are plenty of good athletes at Midway. Just not all play football or dropped it after Freshman year due to the coaching environment (were not having fun). The baseball team is full of them. Jackson Baird was an example of this until he actually decided to play this year and you can see the difference his athletic ability made. At Westlake/Lake Travis, all these guys would have played and it would have made a huge difference.
That happens at all schools. In all sports. Players start to specialize and play one sport.

I went to HS with a guy that stopped playing anything else his freshmen year and only played baseball and went on to MLB.

Tyler Alexander went to Southlake and only played baseball and is now in the MLB after pitching at TCU.

I am sure we could come up with a list for both sides-those of guys that played multiple sports and those that only played one but the point is that even at those schools you get specialized players.
Jackson Bear
My point was that Midway has more than normal in the class of 2024. Create a great football program atmosphere like they experience late elementary/early middle school and most are still playing like they do in Westlake.
Fat Daddy
Back to Southlake…. Why was Wasson run off?
PartyBear
Maybe Chuck Reedy can answer the question as well. In his post Baylor career he took a large South Lake, Midway type school in the late 90s (Goose Creek High in South Carolina) that had been an annual doormat and turned it into a South Lake or Lake Travis type program before he retired in the late teens.
BaylorB254
Anyone know who the offensive coordinator is going to be?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.