When is Terry Black's BBQ opening in Waco ?????

10,683 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Robert Wilson
Wicked_Wombat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone know...?
Big12Bear
Had the same question about a month ago and was told "late March - making great progress."
BaylorHistory
They have a billboard or two on I-35 now.
PartyBear
I haven't really noticed the work on the building. But it is in what is currently an obscure location. There isn't a lot of driving by the building or at least I don't. But I also haven't noticed billboards on 35 and I frequently take 35 to Austin and fairly regularly to DFW.
Illinois Bear
PartyBear said:

I haven't really noticed the work on the building. But it is in what is currently an obscure location. There isn't a lot of driving by the building or at least I don't. But I also haven't noticed billboards on 35 and I frequently take 35 to Austin and fairly regularly to DFW.

Drove by last weekend. Snapped this pic. Didn't get a great look but it seems like a LOT of work to be done.

Will be a fantastic addition.
WacoKelly83
There is a large sign south of Waco on I35 heading north. It announces Terry Black's Barbeque, Coming Soon To Waco.
CTbruin
PartyBear said:

The "obscure location" is currently one of the most active areas of downtown in the Silo area.
PartyBear
It is on the corner of 8th and Mary. It of course is in the verge of changing dramatically but right now it is an intersection few people use while getting from one place to another in down town or travel to as a destination within down town. It's not like it is on Franklin, Austin , or one of the number street intersections of those.
cowboycwr
PartyBear said:

It is on the corner of 8th and Mary. It of course is in the verge of changing dramatically but right now it is an intersection few people use while getting from one place to another in down town or travel to as a destination within down town. It's not like it is on Franklin, Austin , or one of the number street intersections of those.
I am sure if we dug up an old thread we could find people saying the same thing about some of the other places that have opened up near downtown on streets that didn't get much traffic.

Like 2nd street and Mary where Billy bob's, Huaco lounge, J-Petal, and Putters opened up.

Or over a street for pignetti's

Hotel indigo.

Etc.
ursamajor
Man, late March, early April is a great time for some BBQ.

I'm with PartyBear. That area between 35 and Franklin south/west of 8th is still a bit of a commercial ghost town. It's been economically depressed for a long time (especially with the subsidized housing at Kate Ross) and the site of more humanitarian efforts than commercial hotspots (aside from the occasional highlight like Cajun Craft -- or Fat Ho Burger).

But it also seems like the next frontier of development, at least to the creek. The para-Magnolia stuff is over there, plus the Backyard. And now things like Velvet Taco and the Aloft hotel are in that zone by the interstate.

Of course I'd go anywhere in town (or in Speegleville) for great BBQ.
Edmond Bear
ursamajor said:

Man, late March, early April is a great time for some BBQ.

I'm with PartyBear. That area between 35 and Franklin south/west of 8th is still a bit of a commercial ghost town. It's been economically depressed for a long time (especially with the subsidized housing at Kate Ross) and the site of more humanitarian efforts than commercial hotspots (aside from the occasional highlight like Cajun Craft -- or Fat Ho Burger).

But it also seems like the next frontier of development, at least to the creek. The para-Magnolia stuff is over there, plus the Backyard. And now things like Velvet Taco and the Aloft hotel are in that zone by the interstate.

Of course I'd go anywhere in town (or in Speegleville) for great BBQ.

There are several new event centers in hand (i.e. Foster) and planned (Performing Arts) nearby which will drive a crowd. Also, three new large apartment complexes are new or opening within a few blocks of that area.

It may be poorly trafficked now but it will grow quickly.
BylrFan
Hows the progress at casa do brazil?
Bearly Interested
TB's bbq is the real deal.
southtexasbear
PartyBear said:

I had to look up to remind myself of what was around that area...I pictured it further away from the center of the action (like over where the former horse stables development is going up), but when it came up I was surprised so many think this isn't a busy area. Smack right in the middle between the Backyard, Magnolia Press/Furniture/new access to Magnolia shops, Pivovar and Union Hall, Southern roots, Hippodrome. For me, this is one of the main downtown routes I take.
PartyBear
cowboycwr said:

PartyBear said:

I am sure if we dug up an old thread we could find people saying the same thing about some of the other places that have opened up near downtown on streets that didn't get much traffic.

Like 2nd street and Mary where Billy bob's, Huaco lounge, J-Petal, and Putters opened up.

Hotel indigo.

Etc.

I'm sure you can. I really don't know how what I said was taken as controversial. I said the location as of now doesn't get a lot of traffic. That's why at least I haven't seen much of Black's as it is being built. I really do not cross down town using Mary. I honestly don't know anyone who does as of today's date. . It is Franklin, Austin and Washington that are the busiest streets of down town.
cowboycwr
PartyBear said:

cowboycwr said:

PartyBear said:

Hotel indigo.

Etc.

I'm sure you can. I really don't know how what I said was taken as controversial. I said the location as of now doesn't get a lot of traffic. That's why at least I haven't seen much of Black's as it is being built. I really do not cross down town using Mary. I honestly don't know anyone who does as of today's date. . It is Franklin, Austin and Washington that are the busiest streets of down town.
True. Because those streets are longer and connect to more (two of them to Valley Mills).

But it isn't some isolated street no one goes down.

And because it isn't on a main street the price of the building might have been slightly less to buy/rent.

But that street gets enough traffic just from people looking for a spot to park, especially for Union Hall. Or taking 8th street all the way from the interstate to downtown.

It doesn't have to be about traffic using the street for crossing downtown, getting to downtown, but rather traffic that drives right in front of that building.
tcbear
They will also get a fair amount of traffic from the federal courthouse that is a block away. A couple of times a month there are large trials with lots of lawyers, witnesses, clients, and jurors.
hodedofome
Blackjack Bear
It's almost right across the street from the Federal Courthouse.
CammoTX
tcbear said:

They will also get a fair amount of traffic from the federal courthouse that is a block away. A couple of times a month there are large trials with lots of lawyers, witnesses, clients, and jurors.

Guess they will have a full bar like one in Deep Ellum…
RightRevBear
I ate at the one in Deep Ellum tonight. It was my second time there. The first time I was there the pork ribs were good. I had the beef ribs. My wife had brisket and sausage. It is decent BBQ, but definitely overpriced for what you get. Guess and Hellburg's is better. Is the excitement over having a BBQ place, besides Coach's, downtown?
baylorguy09
RightRevBear said:

I ate at the one in Deep Ellum tonight. It was my second time there. The first time I was there the pork ribs were good. I had the beef ribs. My wife had brisket and sausage. It is decent BBQ, but definitely overpriced for what you get. Guess and Hellburg's is better. Is the excitement over having a BBQ place, besides Coach's, downtown?

Coach's closed… that place would be making bank right now if it had held on a little longer. Majority of folks parking for games right there next to it.
Surprised something hasn't moved into that location yet. Waco needs a really good sports bar.
Coke Bear
baylorguy09 said:

RightRevBear said:

Coach's closed… that place would be making bank right now if it had held on a little longer. Majority of folks parking for games right there next to it.
Surprised something hasn't moved into that location yet. Waco needs a really good sports bar.
I believe that I read that they are willing to lease the space with all the equipment for $12K a month. If that is really the case, that's going to take a whole lotta 'que or brew to cover that nut.
RightRevBear
baylorguy09 said:

RightRevBear said:

Honestly, I am surprised Coach's lasted as long as they did.
Grumpy
The mexican place in the same location before Coach's I thought was really good. Wish that had stayed around actually.
Yogi
baylorguy09 said:

RightRevBear said:

Coach's would've made bank if you could get a server's attention now and then. The food wasn't near good enough to compensate for the terrible service.

And, I am blaming management and not the servers themselves for that fiasco. The servers were understaffed and undertrained.

Capitalism took care of that problem, as it always does.
PartyBear
Grumpy said:

The mexican place in the same location before Coach's I thought was really good. Wish that had stayed around actually.

What Mexican place. I thought Coaches was the only thing in that spot. The building isn't that old and Coaches I believe had been there since 2011 or so.
CorsicanaBear
Coaches closed for very tragic reasons way beyond bad/food service.
whitetrash
PartyBear said:

Grumpy said:

What Mexican place. I thought Coaches was the only thing in that spot. The building isn't that old and Coaches I believe had been there since 2011 or so.
LaFiesta had a concept taco bar restaurant there when it first opened until about about 2013 or 2014. They somewhat resurrected the concept at Union Hall a few years later.
254alum
PartyBear said:

Grumpy said:

I think it was called Sam's on the Square.
Ludwig von Missi
whitetrash said:

PartyBear said:

Grumpy said:

LaFiesta had a concept taco bar restaurant there when it first opened until about about 2013 or 2014. They somewhat resurrected the concept at Union Hall a few years later.
They were actually the second tenet. The first was a lounge called Square Bar.
southtexasbear
They're in the hiring hourly stage. ($20/hr btw)
ursamajor
https://www.kwtx.com/2024/04/17/terry-blacks-bbq-opening-downtown-waco-this-week/
KajunKarlsdad
Saw a post on FB that Terry Black's had a soft opening yesterday. The person who posted it said it was excellent.
Pea Weevil
Their website claims that is open today and the location is 228 8th Street.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.